Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Considering that the case will be appealed and an injunction granted, all that line of questioning is academic at this point.
As of right now then, it is totally legal to buy a handgun from an FFL dealer across the state line then (as far as Federal law is concerned), and it will remain that way until an injunction is granted to the Feds?

In that district, yes, I believe that would be the case.
I thought a district court decision such as this, applies all across the nation. The point was made earlier that something can't be unconstitutional for one person and not for another-implying that constitutionality itself is nationwide. Am I in error? Plus the fact that the Plaintiffs themselves, unless I'm mistaken, reside in a different district, meaning that under what you're saying, it would be legal for them to purchase the handgun in Texas but then they would have violated the law in DC. That hardly helps.

To Calhoun: I'm well aware of how most gun dealers would do things. The Feds could come out with a blanket ruling today and plaster it all across the USA and gun dealers would still be denying purchases for years.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
In Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas it should be legal for any resident from any state to walk in and buy a handgun from any FFL if they can pass the background check.

But, yeah... try to find a dealer that will risk a fight with the BATFE.
I wouldn't exactly be standing in line to be that dealer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since any law that itself is unconstitutional is itself unlawful, the ATF will be in violation of the law by not changing their regulations immediately, even if they anticipate an injunction. Of course, unless I'm mistaken, they flouted the law before saying simply that they disagreed with court decisions contrary to their own rules and then not changing the rules in compliance. I can't remember which ones offhand, but this was my understanding.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
In Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas it should be legal for any resident from any state to walk in and buy a handgun from any FFL if they can pass the background check.

But, yeah... try to find a dealer that will risk a fight with the BATFE.
I wouldn't exactly be standing in line to be that dealer.
I know a former FFL holder who (according to him) lost his license over minutiae related directly to what the ATF considered violations of this ruling. Wonder if they'll reissue his license.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought a district court decision such as this, applies all across the nation. The point was made earlier that something can't be unconstitutional for one person and not for another-implying that constitutionality itself is nationwide. Am I in error?

Yep, that's not right. Often the Supreme Court won't even take a case until there's separate decisions among district courts.

If it's not appealed from here, it is applicable only to the Fifth District.

If it is appealed, it goes to the Appeals court - and the decision coming out of there applies everywhere.

And then the Supreme Court has a chance to step in after that, and that decision obviously also applies everywhere.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dave Hardy, prominent 2A attorney:

it orders the Attorney General (any by extension anyone working under him) to stop enforcing the requirement, so may apply anywhere

The other side of "may" is "may not".

I think there is reason to believe that anyone trying to enforce the stricken parts of the law would be in contempt of the district court which issued the ruling. But I don't think that is crystal clear... at least to me.

The question even less clear to me is whether this is in effect right now. As I understand it, if an appeal is anticipated, the defendant almost automatically gets a stay of mandate. Has that not happened in this case?

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
Dave Hardy, prominent 2A attorney:

it orders the Attorney General (any by extension anyone working under him) to stop enforcing the requirement, so may apply anywhere

The other side of "may" is "may not".

I think there is reason to believe that anyone trying to enforce the stricken parts of the law would be in contempt of the district court which issued the ruling. But I don't think that is crystal clear... at least to me.

The question even less clear to me is whether this is in effect right now. As I understand it, if an appeal is anticipated, the defendant almost automatically gets a stay of mandate. Has that not happened in this case?

A stay must be requested. Once granted, and it will almost assuredly be granted, it will be immediate and perhaps retroactive.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought a district court decision such as this, applies all across the nation. The point was made earlier that something can't be unconstitutional for one person and not for another-implying that constitutionality itself is nationwide. Am I in error?

Yep, that's not right. Often the Supreme Court won't even take a case until there's separate decisions among district courts.

If it's not appealed from here, it is applicable only to the Fifth District.

If it is appealed, it goes to the Appeals court - and the decision coming out of there applies everywhere.

And then the Supreme Court has a chance to step in after that, and that decision obviously also applies everywhere.

No. If not appealed it applies to the 5th District. If appealed and upheld, it applies only to the 5th district. If the decision is upheld by the SCOTUS, it applies in all US jurisdictions.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah, thanks for the correction, 4ager. I thought an Appeals Court decision was cross-district (but I understand why it's not - I think grin).

Last edited by Calhoun; 02/12/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problem.

This is where we get "circuit splits" on identical issues where one Appellate Court will rule one way on an issue and another an opposite way, creating a conflict in laws that almost always is then taken up by the SCOTUS in order to settle the issue.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So after further review, does this ruling mean simply that an individual can now purchase a handgun FTF from a FFL in a state not of his residence??

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Legally, in 3 states it means that. But it will probably get a stay very quickly, plus you'll probably have a very hard time finding an FFL that will risk incurring BATFE's wrath.

So, legally, yes in LA/MS/TX.
Realistically, no.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Baby steps. Just baby step!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

No. If not appealed it applies to the 5th District. If appealed and upheld, it applies only to the 5th district. If the decision is upheld by the SCOTUS, it applies in all US jurisdictions.

Are you positive of this? It doesn't seem right to me, that is basically saying that federal law is different in some places than others, which is just not the case. The case was tried in the District court because it pertained to a federal law, not a regional law, or state law. The Federal law is what is affected.

If it is only the district that is affected then the AG's best move here is to not appeal and allow only the states within the district to be affected by the law rather than appealing and having the case upheld and becoming law in all 50 states.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It will be appealed unless it scares the AG so bad he doesn’t want it to go past those three states. I cannot see that being a reality.

After all, it all about shipping. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Scott F
It will be appealed unless it scares the AG so bad he doesn’t want it to go past those three states.

That is my point, I don't see how this can only change Federal Law in 3 states. It is a Federal Law, meaning all of the US. There is not a different set of federals laws on the books for each district court region. So this is either the law for all the US or it is just another case waiting to be heard by a higher court and actually has no bearing on the actual law until that time. It cannot be the "Federal Law" for only 3 States.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It doesn't have to make sense my friend, it's the law. crazy

Makes no sense to me either but sometimes I am not to bright.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by Scott F
It will be appealed unless it scares the AG so bad he doesn’t want it to go past those three states.

That is my point, I don't see how this can only change Federal Law in 3 states. It is a Federal Law, meaning all of the US. There is not a different set of federals laws on the books for each district court region. So this is either the law for all the US or it is just another case waiting to be heard by a higher court and actually has no bearing on the actual law until that time. It cannot be the "Federal Law" for only 3 States.

The court in question only has jurisdiction over those three states, so that's how it works. There are extraordinary steps that could happen to go straight to the SC by Gura if the DOJ refused to appeal it, but that's unlikely to happen and unlikely that the SC would take it even if he tried it. What would probably happen is that Gura would find another perfect test case to take to trial in another district where a different result is likely (7th Circuit in Illinois/Indiana/Wisconsin has been very helpful here). From there, with differing results, he would push for the Supreme Court to hear it.

IANAL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

IANAL.

huhuh...huhhuh...huh

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
IANAL.

huhuh...huhhuh...huh

Thanks for your deep thoughts on this, Pat. grin

I personally think Gura's plan was to get a very friendly court decision to refer to, which is why he didn't find a plaintiff in someplace like Illinois or California to do first. Unlike McDonald or Heller, I think he was a little more unsure about pushing up an interstate handgun ban case without a very firm decision blasting the unconstitutionality. It might work out fine to argue the unconstitutionality of the law in an appeals court with only a case that finds against you, but it's a lot easier to argue it if you have at least one US District Court judge that agrees with you.

Jmho.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, anothergun, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,570 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,642
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.