Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by manydogs

Other than that, I could pop enough starlings with the bb gun for a meal and maybe some sparrows for appetizers.

Dude - starlings must be about the nastiest thing alive with feathers. I used to pop 'em from my back patio and have my lab retrieve them for practice and entertainment. It took me a little while to convince her to pick 'em up. She always had that "this thing smells and tastes nasty" look on her face when she brought 'em. Never seen a cat take one either. grin

Of course, the fare changes with the season - if you have seasons. Sport fishing ain't all that reliable right here, but during much of the warmer part of the year I can fill a canoe with carp in about an hour - 15 minutes from home.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Lot's of doves too.

In Idaho, those invasive Eurasian Collard Doves are not protected. You can kill them year-round with no limit so long as you have a hunting license. I know where they like to hang out, and they're not real bright. Easy, peasy.
same here

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
Rabbit, sharptail grouse or mule deer doe.

If a person is an acceptable answer I could probably bag one of those in under four hours as well.

Travis

You are always thinking about eating somebody. smile

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ltppowell
...to catch, kill or gather your next meal...what would it be?
I would gather at HEB.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now I'm going to do you all a favor and let you in on a little-known (in the US) non-secret.

Purslane.

It's a well-known food crop in most of the world, but Americans just think it's a persistent weed. Picked young, it is quite tasty. Nutritious too. It's usually the first thing around here to sprout in the garden, by the sidewalk, in flower pots, etc. It grows just about everywhere the soil has been cultivated.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have that nasty ass weed in my gardens mad

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eyeball

You are always thinking about eating somebody. smile

Well, there are only going to be a few times in a person's life they can legally eat person. So you gotta be ready.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by frogman43
Catch a few Redfish, and pick off a few dozen fresh Oysters on the way back in.......doesn't get any better!

Same here!

Good idea. I was thinking fish, but oysters are a slam dunk. Pays to think like an injun.

As a boy growing up in Central Florida along the Gulf, we would always stop by an Oyster bar on the way back in from fishing the flats to chip off a few dozen fresh Oysters and put them in a wet burlap sack. I still have the old Mason hammer we sued for that task.

Sad to say, can't do that anymore, nor can you stay all summer long at the little county park in Ozello we used to live at for the entire summer while out of school! Thos were great times! grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
I have that nasty ass weed in my gardens mad

Of course you do. Everybody does. Pick the limbs when young and tender. Cook it like you would spinach or asparagus. lightly salt....enjoy. Also makes great filler or topping on enchiladas. laugh

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I could kill a mess of squirrel/rabbit in the yard, beaver in the pond and I know for sure deer when the sun went down. I could also flame a few bald eagles.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pus......or are we talking about nutritional needs?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a I would gather DQ foot long Slaw Dog with fries and lemonade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would gather a DQ foot long Slaw Dog with fries and lemonade.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
...to catch, kill or gather your next meal...what would it be?

Easy. I'd head to the coast, and be back with about 50 lbs. of mussels, clams, snails and various other sea critters in no time. Grab some seaweed too. Be home with time enough to spare to whack a couple of squirrels out back. Voila: surf and turf.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
there's about 120 head of angus behind the house here with their calves. I can carve out a back strap and have it on the weber genesis in less than 1 hour grin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
if the answer to the question included hitting the years worth of cached Mountain House, MRE, buckets of rice/beans/flour etc, then I am set right now.
If the correct response is killing or catching something, then I have the back yard. Squirrel, coon, birds, and within easy walking distance, fishing.
I certainly have the skills set to handle the issue.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rabbit or squirrel. Never a shortage and snow makes it easy.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If we are going to go cannibal I think a discussion on the best technique for field dressing and meat prep is in order. Is ethnicity a factor in choosing prey? Which is your favorite knife for people work?

Sorry for the thread bomb, sometimes I get carried away.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Human beans are mammals. No fancy prep required. I've read of folks coming across bush markets in Africa where 'long pig' has been offered. Hint: 'long pig' ain't porcine.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Deer,rabbit,or squirrel could be killed without having to go more than a couple hundred yards probably less.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 3,211 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.