Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Not to piggy-back Cal Pappas' thread, but to piggy-back Cal Pappas' thread, anyone using single shot rifles in Africa? I occasionally see the "Team Wild" guys on Youtube shooting a Ruger No 1 (.450-400) in Africa, and I know Maddog has used his Ruger No 1, .375 in Africa. Anyone else us a SS for plains and/or dangerous game?

Last edited by RevMike; 02/15/15.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I did for my first trip in 2008 - #1 in 45-70. PG only and no problems.

My wife and I are taking my two collage age nephews with us for this years annual trip to Namibia. They've never been exposed to firearms or hunting before, Decided to go with SS for their simplicity and safety of operation. I've purchased them H&R Handi Rifles in 45-70 and have had compensators installed. They will be coming to our house for two weeks of extensive firearms safety training, range time and animal identification and shot placement before we leave. My wife and I are also going to use a couple of H&R Ultra hunters in 45-70 with them. So, this year will be an H&R singles only African PG hunt.

Hunting load will either be Rem 405's at 2000 or 350gr TSXs at 2300 or 300gr TSXs at 2400. We've used all those loads in our bolt action 45-70s and bolt action 450 Marlins for PG up to the body size of mountain zebra with no problems at all. I've played with the H&R's enough over the years that they can easily handle these loads. I put the compensators on their rifles because with the camo synthetic stock and scope they only weigh 7 lbs or so and with those loads are a handful for even an experienced shooter. With the compensators the recoil with those loads is like shooting a 308 Win. The Ultra's my wife and I will be using don't have compensators, but have the heavier laminated wood stocks with an extra 1.2lbs steal weight in the buttstock and scopes bring their weight up to a little over 9.5 lbs.

Lastly, since the terrain is rocky/mountainous (NW Namibian highlands) and it being their first time hunting and carrying a rifle ever, I'm packing a spare synthetic buttstock and scope. Inside the hollow synthetic buttstock I've put a small plastic bag with parts for a complete trigger repair/rebuild.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For a plains game hunt I would have no problem with a single shot rifle. Hunting dangerous game I would want a repeater.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's a link to a thread about No.1 Big Bores in Africa from a little while ago that might help...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/5142927/Ruger_No_1_big_bores_in_Africa

Stump

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I havent...but can certainly see no reason not to.A PG hunt with a #1 in 300 H&H would be the bees knees.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A #1 in .270 Win. would be cool too.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Wouldn't mind using a Ruger No.1 in 450/400 3" for buffalo,leopard or even lion. The thing is,there's a PH who might/can (depending on the situation) back up your shot.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Is it just me, or did anyone else see that one coming from a mile away???

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. grin

Ingwe is reliable.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have shot two buffalo, a leopard, and plains game with a Number One. It is definitely not ideal, but works fine.

As with any rifle just make the first shot count.

However no matter how fast you can reload a single shot it will never be as fast as a bolt gun, so you will give up some capability for a quick second shot.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If I could go back, I'd use one again in a heartbeat. Almost got to take a 450/400 NE 3", on that trip in 2011, instead of the 375. I'd use either one, and yes for dangerous game.

maddog

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yup. grin

Ingwe is reliable.

I was thinking that I'd take my Boddington Leopard when we all go on the Ingwe Farewell to Africa tour. I had a line on a M77 African but it's a .270, so I didn't want to risk it. whistle

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Get the .270,but don't tell Ingwe.

Guess I'm gonna have to miss the "Ingwe farewell tour of Africa." frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Personally a think of nothing better than the idea of hunting elephant with turn of the century (19th) era British single shot rifle chambered for maybe the .577 black powder express.....or even better a 4-bore single.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't mind using a Ruger No.1 in 450/400 3" for buffalo,leopard or even lion. The thing is,there's a PH who might/can (depending on the situation) back up your shot.

really would like one of those...have since they came out

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not me,until I read Craig Boddington's book "Safari Rifles II" last month (for the umpteenth time laugh ) I got the idea of getting one instead of a .416 Rem/Rigby.

Have a .375 H&H on lay away in El Paso,but still have the itch for a Ruger No.1 in 450/400 3". Maybe late this year I can get one,IF I can convince the wife. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
W
I used a Dakota Model 10 in 30-06 for Leopard and plains game. For follow-up of the Leopard I used a bolt action 416 Rigby - he was found dead. A single shot is a great rifle for leopard.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I can't see the point in using a single shot for hunting anything, especially for hunting dangerous game.

If you only need one shot, either a bolt action or a single shot will do equally well.

If you need two shots, you could be in real trouble with a single shot.

Dangerous game commonly needs more than one shot, to "pay the insurance" if for no other reason.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Get the .270,but don't tell Ingwe.

Guess I'm gonna have to miss the "Ingwe farewell tour of Africa." frown

I'm not sure I could stand it. No doubt he'd find out at some point. Maybe I should just buy it and have it rebored to .280 or 7x64 or something like that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.