GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
???????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've no experience at all with the 210 and have only run the Juggernauts via the 308 win... The 185 worked fine, but I've only used it on a handful of big game (25-30) from 60 yds out to 580 yds... Didn't see a problem with them at all...

I no longer have any magnum rifles and am down to a 300 SAUM and a 6.5 SAUM... I've been running 155 Scenars in the lil 300 and they have worked excellent at all distances thus far...

When I was running magnums I slummed the 180 Sciroccos most of the time and they performed well with never an issue, from a 300 WM, 300 RUM and a 300 WSM...

As I mentioned earlier... Sneak that 308 in there and gun your go to round... I know you can run it and run it well so why take a whore to the dance...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Was invited on my first elk hunt with a friend for this coming year.

Of my rifles, he said bring my 300WM, so that decision is made.

He said 300 - 500 yards is the most common range, followed by up very close.

So, the question for those with experience is what bullet would you recommend for a 300WM with 24" 1:10 twist?

I have 185 and 210 Bergers hybrids on hand, as well as 175 and 190 SMK's.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Try the 180 NBT's, Acc's and Partitions. Let your rifle speak to what it likes. At the same time, make sure you are in good shape to enjoy the hunt.
Keep us posted.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In my 300 I like the tsx. Works good in clear cuts and timber.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
EHG,

Concur, and the 308 with 175's definitely will make the trip as well.

Thanks guys.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since it did not make the list near the end. My limited experience was that the Swift Scirocco 180 out of a 30-06 Remington Premium factory load had no issues dropping an elk at 325 yards.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Well said! This barnes xlc is an anomaly! Possesing Monty Hall "lets make a deal"type figures. However I did get a measured 2950 with them using a Colt light rifle. This load also shoots out of my jc higgins fn, and a 1903 A3. (I never measured either rifles velocities) But lets look at a few other things about the 300 Mag......Does it not require a 26 inch barrel to get the optimum performance? Do they not tend to weigh .75 or more pounds than a 3006 or 308? Do they not, in fact as I have stated, show superior ballistics using a 200 grain projectile? (Compared to the 3006/308) Is not a 200 grain bullet superior to a 180 in sectional density and ballistic co-efficient? If a 200 groups as well as a 180 why would you need to choose the 180? Thanks........I just can't get my head around not using the 200 grain bullets in my 308 Norma.
My tikka in .300 ways 7 lbs even with the scope, pretty much the same weight as a .30-06 , and does just fine with the 24 " barrel.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The takeaway from this discussion seems to be that every major brand of bullet is working for someone, other than Swift which was not mentioned and doubtless they probably work fine as well.

I'll tinker with some Barnes and Noslers and see what shoots. Honestly, seems like a 150 - 210+ grain anything in the chest would not be conducive to elk health.

Angus, I have 243, 260, and 308's as well. 308 is my go to choice. My friend wants me to bring my 300, so since it is his hunt and invitation I am going with his request, although a 308 will be riding along as a spare.

I am taking the boots advice to heart. I have Lowa Hunter GTX's that are well broken in and have served me well in our areas with sharp rocks underfoot. They are stiffer soled than most hunting boots, more like a high topped light backpacking boot with a half shank. Thoughts on these?

Fitness will be by far the biggest challenge for me. This hunt has really given me a nice goal and some renewed motivation. We already have some horses lined up for bringing an animal out if we are lucky. That was my one condition for the hunt.

Thanks everyone for taking time to provide the input. Looking forward to posting some photos even if it is nothing more than just a nice sunrise with a cup of coffee.

Regards.
To get full reward out of your hunt, you need to pack out at least one quarter on your back..... It's the suffering that builds bonds!!!!!!!!! laugh

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by wyoming260
The takeaway from this discussion seems to be that every major brand of bullet is working for someone, other than Swift which was not mentioned and doubtless they probably work fine as well.

I'll tinker with some Barnes and Noslers and see what shoots. Honestly, seems like a 150 - 210+ grain anything in the chest would not be conducive to elk health.

Angus, I have 243, 260, and 308's as well. 308 is my go to choice. My friend wants me to bring my 300, so since it is his hunt and invitation I am going with his request, although a 308 will be riding along as a spare.

I am taking the boots advice to heart. I have Lowa Hunter GTX's that are well broken in and have served me well in our areas with sharp rocks underfoot. They are stiffer soled than most hunting boots, more like a high topped light backpacking boot with a half shank. Thoughts on these?

Fitness will be by far the biggest challenge for me. This hunt has really given me a nice goal and some renewed motivation. We already have some horses lined up for bringing an animal out if we are lucky. That was my one condition for the hunt.

Thanks everyone for taking time to provide the input. Looking forward to posting some photos even if it is nothing more than just a nice sunrise with a cup of coffee.

Regards.
To get full reward out of your hunt, you need to pack out at least one quarter on your back..... It's the suffering that builds bonds!!!!!!!!! laugh

Would love to more than you can imagine. But after docs tinkering with my spine courtesy of a lady talking on a cell phone instead of looking through her windshield, if I just make it up the mountain to see the sunrise, the trip will be a great success in my mind. Everything beyond that is a bonus.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7x64FN
As was said, XLCs could be pushed way faster than "regular bullets". They were an oddball and a b*tch to load w/o damaging the coating.

The Barnes manual was very clear about loads for regular X bullets and XLCs being way different.

Some of new TTSXs are the same way. I can edge 4000 fps in my 30" 25-06 Highwall with the 80 gr TTSX. They drop right out even though a falling block has no where near the extraction of a bolt gun.

Been shooting Barnes, since there was a Barnes. Never found an unsafe load yet.

When I worked with XLCs, I couldn't drive them faster in a number of rifles. Yes, they have some "slipperiness" but also a longer shank with more surface area contact.

I gave up on the original Xs and then the XLCs too after not too long experiencing spiking pressures zeroth both that were erratic. It could have been an errant lot of XLCs that I had. But I gave up on them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm a big fan of the PTs mostly in my 338. Ran the 200 and 180 PTs in the 300 Win Mag for elk. My hunting partners took a couple elk this past fall with the 180 PT at around 3050 from the muzzle of his 300 Win Mag

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That bullet crushed a front leg bone and was lodged in the far side knuckle.

My other partner was running the 200 AB started at 3250. Elk was taken at 530 yards. Hit towards the rear of the rib cage, took the liver and lung. Hit and cracked the front scapula.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know a ton of other bullets will work fine, but you won't guess how well an AB or PT will work.

Semper Fi
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was using 150 partitions in my 7mag for moose and they worked great, all the broadside shots were pass through.

I tried some 160 accubonds and found they were more accurate.

The first moose I shot was quartered away. At almost 300 yards I hit him in the ribs, the bullet passed through his heart and lungs and lodged in the far side leg bone.

He only took about 2 steps and died and there was very little meat damage.

I'm sold on them.

Last edited by 07blackwater; 02/15/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used Accubonds, Partitions, Ballistic Tips and Barnes TTSX so far on elk in 3006, 7 Rem Mag and 300 Weatherby. For my own small personal sample the TTSX is the best bullet - the BT shot a very tiny bit better - but had the worst performance on stopping them. The accubond and partition were fine just not as accurate or as dramatic results.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
BUT Nosler Partitions, if they shoot in your rifle, are never a bad choice.

I have spent probably over $250 giving Partitions an exhaustive try in my 284 & 308 caliber rifles. No success, no more attempts.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wyoming260

Regards.

Would love to more than you can imagine. But after docs tinkering with my spine courtesy of a lady talking on a cell phone instead of looking through her windshield, if I just make it up the mountain to see the sunrise, the trip will be a great success in my mind. Everything beyond that is a bonus.

ahhh I did not realize the spine issue... some mornings the sunrise view from up top is better then a downed elk!!!!! Enjoy your trip

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
BUT Nosler Partitions, if they shoot in your rifle, are never a bad choice.

I have spent probably over $250 giving Partitions an exhaustive try in my 284 & 308 caliber rifles. No success, no more attempts.

Try a faster powder. Usually works with Partitions.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
This old thread popped up, which tested most of the bullets discussed here. Also, for those discussing the Ballistic Tips, the thread has photos of the old vs. new Ballistic Tip jackets.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7219652/1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
While I'm a user of 200 NPs the more hunters I guide the less I think bullet choice matters.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John I sold my 300 wby. Which bullet would you shoot for elk in a 264 win mag? Thanks

Jimbob
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.