Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try Dicks for 22 ammo. As of yesterday most stores in MD had bricks of Remington in stock for about 5 cents per round. I think they loaded the stores for Presidents Day.

I think the 22 ammo shortage is slowly declining but it's not really over yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the people buying and reselling it start worrying they will get stuck with their inventory and have to sell it at or below cost, then it will end.

It happened first with rifles because they couldn't handle getting stuck with a $700-1000 AR they were planning on flipping for $1500+ when more started to show up in stores to catch up to the initial demand. The 2nd change was with centerfire stuff. You started seeing non-military/self defense calibers start showing up first then the rest because it was too much potential overhead to get stuck with. All of that is something of a niche market. Always amazed they haven't figured out they could do the same with turkey loads right before the season comes in.

Rimfires are something different. They are cheap, nearly everyone that shoots has at least one, and no practical way to roll your own. Retailers doubling the price on it for awhile would end this in a hurry for the same reason the rifles and centerfire stiff are now available.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone
I've been seeing cci standard velocity for $0.10/shot, which is tolerable IMO. The ammo I've seen more than $0.10/shot is sitting on the shelves in the LGS'

$50 a brick is in excess of 100% markup above RETAIL. That, imo, is not tolerable.

I was shocked to find that prices were going UP around here on 22rf.

Thats EFF YOU pricing imo.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sherp
Rimfires are something different. ... Retailers doubling the price on it for awhile would end this in a hurry for the same reason the rifles and centerfire stiff are not available.

Shelves still empty here, and when they turn up I have noticed prices continue to edge upwards. Perhaps what you mention above is happening.

I have enough to mess with for a while, and wont be buying at Eff U prices.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Theres a place over in Ravenswood that always has 22 ammo,but it's around $6 for a box of 50,and limit one per day. The last time I was there all they had was that American Eagle solid point stuff though...I might sound crazy,but I don't buy this it's in such high demand that the factories can't produce enough B.S..As much as the demand for shells,and jobs both is,the ammo manufactures could open new lines,It defies good business practices not to..I think that the government looks at most 22 rifles as little high capacity semi autos.I think the days of being able to get the Bucket-O-Bullet type deals for chicken feed are over forever.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
seen bricks of win m-22 for 46 dollars at academy this morning
bunch of fed ultra match
some aguila stuff

can get plenty of norma tac-22 and norma match-22
cci sv is readily available

just cant find any gawtdarned cci small game bullet

I got 450 rds of quality ammo (68 rds of them are crap rem thunderbolt) I want to sell for 30 dollars and morons around here think im scalping them
fugg I got 150 rds of cci select lead round nose
box of aguila rifle match
box of cci sv
75 rounds of cci velocitor
some eley target some norma tac22

probably around 45 dollars worth of ammo

I cant even sell a new box of 12 ga mag blend turkey shells 3.5in 2 1/4th oz for 15 dollars to morons around here
cause they think you are a scalper

im just trying to get rid of the stuff to buy some more norma match-22 and some cci sv with the same lot#

fugg em let em buy bulk packs from real scalpers on gunbroker or at the flea market or from the peddler newspaper

the stuff I have is just extra ammo from shooting to see what my gun likes best

shoots norma match-22 real well I got 200 rounds of those so im good for awhile
cci sv real well ( need to get about 200 of same lot #)
and cci small game bullet real well( if this becomes available in my area again im frigging buying as mauch as I can)

academy is a good place to check around here
and then midsouth shooters supply is about 2 miles down the road and they have the norma stuff pretty regular

norma tac- 22 is the rws target rifle round
norma match- 22 is the rws match rifle round

kinda funny like another poster said
lots of foreign ammo is out their to be found
norma
aguila
rws
gecko
ruag
lapua(wanna try the 40 gr hv hunting round)
sk

I think a lot of people want the bulk packs
and think of quality ammo as a bad thing
and the germans have definitely jumped full throttle into the u.s. rimfire market

look at how many different brands of ruag/rws ammo is being made under other brands for the u.s. market

I really don't mind paying 8 bucks for 50 norma match -22/rws rifle match
specially when the stuff will punch a 10 round hole at 50 yards in 3/8ths to less than 1/2 inch groups
but that is just me

p.s

the Remington thunder bolt was purchased a joke
it is spray and pray ammo for sure
hahahahaa!!!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 02/15/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no proof of anything except "the shortage is due to hording" just don't make any sense to me....Between Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI and other mfr's the capacity to produce should have filled any demand a long time ago. There is something very fishy going on here..

Just a guess now.....but I believe they are either being exported in huge quantities or they are being bought off the market by the Obama admin.....In my eyes the laws of economics prevents hording for this period of time.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's still rare to find around here, and high-priced when it shows up occasionally.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeereJohn
I might sound crazy,but I don't buy this it's in such high demand that the factories can't produce enough B.S..As much as the demand for shells,and jobs both is,the ammo manufactures could open new lines,It defies good business practices not to..

Because as soon as they up production much at all the resellers won't want to get stuck with ammo they can't flip for a 200-400% so they will stop buying and there will be a huge surplus of rimfire in the pipeline.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
I have no proof of anything except "the shortage is due to hording" just don't make any sense to me....Between Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI and other mfr's the capacity to produce should have filled any demand a long time ago. There is something very fishy going on here..

Just a guess now.....but I believe they are either being exported in huge quantities or they are being bought off the market by the Obama admin.....In my eyes the laws of economics prevents hording for this period of time.

They aren't being hoarded, not being sold out of country, and not being bought by the Feds. Just peruse auction sites, firearms forums that have ammo sales sections, gun shows, and flea markets and you can find all of the rimfire you could ever want.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
With this crew, I'm guessing the Walmarts' are out of tinfoil as well.

Last edited by tzone; 02/15/15.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I wanna know who is hoarding all the dam cci small game bullet cci item #0058

fugging stuff is accurate as heck in my savage mkII with bull barrel

good enough to pop a squirrel between the eye and ear out to 50yds when I can do my part and get a good shot on a fugging tree rat...

I think a lot of raw materials brass lead copper powder primers got diverted filling the big govt 5yr order several yrs ago,between that and the hoarders it has had a effect on manufactuers in the u.s. producing .22 at pre conn shooting levels and pricing

fuggit
I will buy german ruag/rws corporation ammo marketed under other brands

stuff drives tacks

until cci can shyt out some small game bullets
I will buy their standard velocity stuff
push comes to shove
I know aguila rifle match is accurate as heck also(kinda dirty though is why I broke away from it)

all that black paper box 100 cci sv you see being scalped on gunbroker
was walmarts fall/Christmas stocking last year
went for 7.99 a box

fugging scalpers need a swift kick in the nads

I see em all the time at academy
looking for bulk packs
of spray and pray stuff

I love making comments at the counter
when their boo-bbo faces see no bulk packs out

I say stuff like, "man you all aint got no rifle match today"
or "man you guys aint no cci small game bullet yet"
or "man you aint no fed gold medal target hv"

"naw I aint wanting none of that misfiring 6moa federal automatch crap or win wildcat or rem golden bullets bulk pack crap"

the clerks know im figging with these scalper hoarder guys

bunch of old tacticool 27 pockets pants wearing guys

or tackleberry wanna gunshop pro types

one looks like cotton hill from king of the hill

another looks like a old walrus with his hat and goatee

another looks like skeletor from he man

don't think any of em have anything else to do except hoard ammo or scalp it in the peddeler paper

the dudes adviod me like the plague
cause they know I think they are p.o.s.

Last edited by renegade50; 02/15/15.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I haven't seen a box of any kind of 22 in over two years. Other than mine of course.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

They aren't being hoarded, not being sold out of country, and not being bought by the Feds. Just peruse auction sites, firearms forums that have ammo sales sections, gun shows, and flea markets and you can find all of the rimfire you could ever want.
These re-sellers(scalpers) are just piss ants to the ammo manufactures .They have zero influence on production.The reason you always see it being re-sold at such profits is because in the big picture they are really scarce.If they were abundant the re-sellers would be in such competition with each other that the prices would drop down to such a level that it wouldn't be worth re-selling..It's kinda like living in a country at war,and saying you can buy all the sugar,or coffee you want on the black market.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't seen lines since this past fall. Nowadays there simply isn't any 22 ammo on the shelves other than blanks - and it isn't even warm enough to be out shooting. I thought is was pretty clever that Federal was making up packs of hermetically sealed ammo for the doomsday crowd……..and everybody in line was buying it for kids' use, small game hunting, or trapping needs.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I just got back from Dick's sporting goods in Binghamton NY. They had 500 rd. bricks of Thunderbolts for 25.00, 325 packs of Federal auto match for 19.99, Winchester 333 packs for 19.99 and Winchester 222 packs for 14.99. They also had boxes of 50 Rem and Win. .22 shorts. I picked up 2 more boxes of the Federal auto match. That brings me up to 8,000 rds. I've bought since this past Oct.. Dick's, Gander Mountain and my LGS have had .22 ammo in stock almost continuously here for the past few months.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
3 stores that sell ammo in our town, none have .22 LR with any regularity and I am 25 miles from a Scheel's, Cabelas etc and they don't have any either.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Was just in my small local gun shop and watched a city dweller buy three 100rd boxes of CCI .22 for 21.99 each. Sorry but I think my days of supporting the local guns shops is over with that type of gouging. They also had 22mag 50ct boxes for the same 21.99 ea. Screw them I don't need any of it that badly. They didn't even kiss him before they screwed him either!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Shun that one for sure. PSA has CCI 100 rounds for $11.99 which is gouging too but at least in the more Southern "genteel" manner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeereJohn

These re-sellers(scalpers) are just piss ants to the ammo manufactures .They have zero influence on production.The reason you always see it being re-sold at such profits is because in the big picture they are really scarce.If they were abundant the re-sellers would be in such competition with each other that the prices would drop down to such a level that it wouldn't be worth re-selling..It's kinda like living in a country at war,and saying you can buy all the sugar,or coffee you want on the black market.

I didn't say the resellers have any influence on production.

If there are relatively few resellers(remember I mentioned them paying people to buy ammo in their stead for them at Wal Mart) how can there be competition? They have zero interest in driving prices down.

The big question is, how much is the .22LR you have for sale?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.