Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
...I may have been a bit hasty in my zeal to reshape that stock, not realizing how nicely it was made. If it was a home project, maybe. But as the history unfolds, leaving it as is makes more and more sense.

So, in the spirit of maintaining the vintage look, maybe that old base with suitable rings may compliment the 60's motif...

Hello Dirtfarmer,

Yes, those are my thoughts exactly. I generally don't like to mess with the History of a piece, no matter how it looks. I think its important to preserve the builder's ideas of the times.

However, I did make changes to my BREVEX 450 Ackley Mag. This rifle was built without any safety. For me this was totally unaceptable. Safety is one of the few things that will cause me to alter a vintage piece.

In this case I added a Winchester Style 3-position safety; the kind with the little lock-bar built into it. This feature is similar to the stalking safety found on my Dan'l Fraser double rifle and my Alex Henry falling block.

Pictures below show before and after - and after close-up.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by buckstix; 02/15/15.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by buckstix
...I may have been a bit hasty in my zeal to reshape that stock, not realizing how nicely it was made. If it was a home project, maybe. But as the history unfolds, leaving it as is makes more and more sense.

So, in the spirit of maintaining the vintage look, maybe that old base with suitable rings may compliment the 60's motif...

Hello Dirtfarmer,

Yes, those are my thoughts exactly. I generally don't like to mess with the History of a piece, no matter how it looks. I think its important to preserve the builder's ideas of the times.

However, I did make changes to my BREVEX 450 Ackley Mag. This rifle was built without any safety. For me this was totally unaceptable. Safety is one of the few things that will cause me to alter a vintage piece.

In this case I added a Winchester Style 3-position safety; the kind with the little lock-bar built into it. This feature is similar to the stalking safety found on my Dan'l Fraser double rifle and my Alex Henry falling block.

Pictures below show before and after - and after close-up.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I agree and like your solution.

I, too, can't see building a rifle without a safety.

You're really in the Brevex business... grin

No wonder you had an educated guess about what you were looking at during those online late night pee breaks... blush

BTW, what would you price a Brevex action at, these days?

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
...No wonder you had an educated guess about what you were looking at during those online late night pee breaks... ... BTW, what would you price a Brevex action at, these days? DF

Hello Dirtfarmer,

Yes, I knew it was a BREVEX while the auction was in progress. I was really hoping no one else would spot it. That was a very, very, long 14 days.

I'm not sure exactly what the value of a BREVEX is these days. I'm sure they were worth more before so many others got into the MAGNUM LENGTH ACTION business. Today there are at least 6 makers of Magnum Actions that I know of. I know there are others, like myself, that collect BREVEX actioned rifles for their nostalgia.

I see several BREVEX action rifles for sale on Guns International. Prices range from $5,500 for one with a plastic stock, all the way up to $13,950 for a nice custom. Average price seems right around $9,000. Although these are "asking" prices, not "sold" prices. I guess that gives you some idea of the market.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've never handled a Brevex. Are they super slick as I would think?

They sure look nice.

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello Dirtfarmer,

The BREVEX actions are typical Mauser function and feel as any other standard 98 would be. Its the work of the gun builder that determines how "slick" the action feels based on his final honing and polishing of the parts.

I have one, my 505 Gibbs, that is super "smooth as silk" but that is because it was built-up and fitted by Danie Joubert, the famed Custom Gun Builder from South Africa.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,848
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.