-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My T3 lite is the lightest rifle I own, and will probably stay the lightest. It shoots well from the bench, no problems at all. In real field positions it is harder to shoot. I know it is me, and I do not usually show signs of a flinch but with the Tikka I sometimes get a noticeable "yip" just as the trigger breaks.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw...

work up loads and then decide. shooting is better than wondering about it forevermore...

Personally have never had any more trouble with a 6# rifle than shooting heavier rifles. The only negative variable for me is recoil.

I doubt the weight of the piece is the issue. To verify, borrow a known 6# class shooter and see how you do with it.

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bonefish
So perhaps a guy can figure out how to tame an ultralight gun at the bench. A hunter typically does bench sessions to properly sight in a rifle and to find loads that shoot well out of the rifle. Melvin sells a rear rest called a "bench tamer". I have one but have not tried it. Others have suggested different teqniques for grouping an ultralight at the bench.Is it not likely that all of these accommodations to tame an ultralight at the bench will be unavailable in the field and the rifle will revert to being effectively less accurate than a heavier rifle?

Did you buy it to be a thing hitter or a group maker?

I've hunted plenty of rifles that have never seen paper or a bench.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7x64FN

Most people I see fixated on 5 pound rifles could easily stand to lose 10 or more pound and get in better shape.

A truer statement has not been made.

I've seen guys spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to drop ounces on a rifle or binos, when it would have been more practical to put down the Snickers & Coke.

You nailed it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Most people I see fixated on 5 pound rifles could easily stand to lose 10 or more pound and get in better shape.

I've seen guys spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to drop ounces on a rifle or binos, when it would have been more practical to put down the Snickers & Coke.

You nailed it.

Weight around the middle is easier to deal with than weight on your shoulder or in your hands.

Edited to add that I'm not disagreeing with you about most could stand to lose a few

Last edited by laker; 02/16/15.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have found a "mid-weight" rifle to be much more effective in mountain hunting, as it settles much more quickly for me than an ultralight one does.

A .270 Win./.280Rem. class of CRF piece at about 7.5 lbs seems to work best for me and my lightest .338WM Dakota 76 at 8.5ish, depending on scope choice is ideal.

Where, I DO really like my custom light .308Win and lighter 7/08 is in bush hunting for mostly Whitetails and Blacktails, where one must carry "hot" at "port arms" to get a decent shot.

I ilke my .30-06 rifles at no more, or much less than 8lbs and my FN-.308Norma, in it's Bansner, goes about 8.25 and is so well balanced it feels lighter.

YMMV, but, I DO strongly concur with getting a smaller waist, not easy at my age with a genetic disposition to a "beer barrel" physique! Well, WTF, just do your best and enjoy it, eh! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You nailed it.

As soon as I start carrying my gut around in my hands all day, I'll give that some credence.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

You nailed it.

Here's a hint, put and extra 3 pounds on each boot and climb a mountain.

Then remove that extra 6 pounds you had on your boots and attach it to your waist and climb the same mountain.

Get back to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As soon as I start carrying my gut around in my hands all day, I'll give that some credence.

Great argument. I lost about twenty pounds so my FEET don't notice the difference when I put on a twenty pound back pack.

I carry the rifle in one hand while hunting. The sling is used while I use the binoculars. I want the lightest rifle I can get with the 26" barrel carrying a 5-25X or 4-24X scope. That means slightly under 7 pounds or slightly over 7 pounds.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ditto--the rifle is in hand unless the hand is busy doing something like holding on to a cliff...

I can't believe that reasoning is so prevalent--the hunters I've met looking for lighter rifles are in fantastic shape. They guys who really need to lose some weight don't seem to mind...

My BIL is large enough that 12# of rifle is like carrying a sack lunch...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tomk
My BIL is large enough that 12# of rifle is like carrying a sack lunch...:)

Individual differences are why we often disagree. We are individuals and what is heavy to one may be light to another. BUT often people make a judgment based on what they are using w/o the benefit of having tried anything else. How does that statement go? You do same thing 1000 times and all you have the same 1 experience 1000 times.

I have backpack hunted with a 9.5 lb rifle, a 7.75 lb rifle, & a 7 lb rifle. I built a 6.75 lb rifle. I ain’t going back to 9.5 lbs for backpacking although I do shoot better ‘groups’ with a heavier rifle. Pick the correct tool for the task at hand.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You nailed it.

Here's a hint, put and extra 3 pounds on each boot and climb a mountain.

Then remove that extra 6 pounds you had on your boots and attach it to your waist and climb the same mountain.

Get back to me.

Valid point Steelhead or at least I look at the weight of my boots; tends to make a big difference.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

You nailed it.

I gotta respectfully disagree with you on that one just based upon my own experience.

I'm physically my best at ~195 lbs, running and lifting about four days per week. I had the unfortunate experience of letting my weight drift up to 230-235. Although my legs were still strong from the running, I fatigued much quicker and it was definitely easier to become winded just carrying that extra weight.

Regardless of rifle, be it a Kimber Montana or a Sendero, I don't notice rifle weight like a do extra body weight, but as steelhead mentioned, I do quickly notice the weight of my boots. YMMV.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I notice rifle weight, you tend to when you are carrying one for 10 hours a day.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're talking about forty pounds of body weight. On your body I doubt you'd notice the three or four pound Montana to Sendero difference.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What Steelhead said. If you move thru the hills hunting for day carrying a rifle in one hand, the weight difference gets pretty obvious. After the 7 1/2# (all up) mark I start wishing for a lighter rifle on day long excursions. If your butt is bolted to a stand, then it doesn't really matter.

Bonefish, the odds are the NULA will shoot if you run some handloads thru it--and those are pretty good odds...the one I had in 280AI was more responsive to some loads than others

Defend the Constitution
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Seems I start to notice a rifle at around 8.5 lbs. My style of hunting usually has my rifle on my back, either with a sling or in a scabbard. Hands are freed up for climbing, crawling through brush, and glassing. My pack usually has a bunch of extra weight due to it being soaked, so weight isn't too big an issue.

I have a M7 Saum w/ Edge stock. DNZ mounts, 6x42. It's 7lbs 2oz. I like that weight for longer shots off a pack. Jewel trigger helps too. Just personal preference.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
First trip to Colorado, I was naive and ignorant about hunting and back packing in the mountains. Second year, (after finding 24HCF) I was in much better shape (15 to 20 lbs lighter, much training). I also had a backpack FULL of all sorts of stuff and an 11lb custom rifle. First day between 11K and 12K, I stashed half the stuff out of the backpack, and would have gladly traded the custom rifle for a factory rifle at 1/2 or 2/3rds the weight. That's why I now have a Rem KS. However, I only get to spend 2 weeks in Colorado above 8K ft each year (if I am fortunate enough to go). And, like others, I shoot a heavier rifle more accurately. Hence the build for the "everyday", 8lb, .270 for use at 800 ft ASL. A pound of rifle weight may not sound like a bunch. But, I am a believer. And yes, I can still stand to loose a bit more around the middle as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have given this subject some thought over the life of this thread. All that I can offer is that I have never sold or traded a rifle because it was too light. However, I have moved several along that were too heavy for the way I intended to use them.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you miss a nice buck offhand about 150 yds - no rest available - on a gusty day with a light bbl rifle - and compelled to rebarrel w a heavier tube.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.