Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
With some exceptions I have found this thread to be helpful. I am going to try different loads in my NULA, am going to tighten the front action screw, try a sandbag front rest, and am going to bring the trigger down to the Timney safe minimum.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ringman,
I will use a Douglas barrel this time as they were the only ones to agree with my contour and length. I am not a fan of carbon wrapped barrels.
Good luck with your rifle.

You wont be disappointed. I've use three Douglass Air Gauged.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tanner,

I think Ringman's issue may be that he believes everybody shoots as poorly as he does...?

You're being foolish. I based the bet on observation at the range. When I shoot from prone or with a rest I do as well as I ever did. Once when I fireformed a box of cases for my .220 Extremest I fired offhand at 400 yards. The target was a 15" sorta round gong. There were a couple guys at a bench next to me who were using a .270 and a .30-06. Occasionally they hit the gong and were quite pleased. I hit it twenty times out of twenty shots. My wife called me a showoff. I was not showing off. It was more fun to fire at something than fire into the ground. Over the years I have noticed there is no improvement in the general population of shooters at the range. I had the scope set on 20X.

I hope as you age you do not develop any deterioration of your body or abilities.

I've not found a rifle too light yet, but the lightest I've killed game with is a sub 6-lbs (scoped, slung) Kimber Montana 308. It worked out to 505 yards, but I'm sure Ringman would be a dollar to my dime that 510 would've been too far....

Upon what do you base this silly assertion?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, the stuff you learn on the internet!

I don't need to carry a light rifle, I just need to lose weight!

Wait... I weighed myself last night. I'm 5'10" and 156.2 lbs.

I thought a light rifle was better than a heavy one for this years 98lb pack out, but now I realize I was completely wrong.

Thanks all. I can really see how a heavier rifle would be a good thing.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get on a diet lard-azz! grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Brad, you frequently just crack me up with that wicked satirical wit!

Lucky b*gger, can prolly guzzle a dozen Moose Drools and not gain a single pound.....I so much as LOOK at most foods I like, "Cherry Garcia", etc. and gain 5 lbs overnight, it seems!

Old age IS H*ll! wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Shoot it as you would hunting.

Yes, do this once you confirm a reliably zeroed scope. The Forbes and the Montana will expose any shooting inconsistencies - which isn't all that bad. Don't despair, keep at it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am a beginning reloader. Will try to have fun working up loads for the 260. muzzle velocity is not much of a concern to me in this rifle. If find something slow that shoots straight I will be cool. Really the first cold barrel shot is all I care about. Just was disappointed in my ability to get the rifle to group well.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Yes, do this once you confirm a reliably zeroed scope. The Forbes and the Montana will expose any shooting inconsistencies - which isn't all that bad. Don't despair, keep at it.

Why?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Brad...you could shoot smaller elk and carry a heavier stick...for all you younger guys, enjoy life to the fullest....cause Father Time always wins....

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Why?

Why what?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Brad...you could shoot smaller elk and carry a heavier stick...for all you younger guys, enjoy life to the fullest....cause Father Time always wins....

True on all counts.

At almost 54 years old I am not taking my youth for granted.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We are all different in several ways, age, physical condition, and mental makeup. You can do as I have done, build a bunch of rifles and hunt with them. You may listen to others, but make your own decisions. Sell the ones that you are not happy with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Wow, the stuff you learn on the internet!

I don't need to carry a light rifle, I just need to lose weight!

Wait... I weighed myself last night. I'm 5'10" and 156.2 lbs.

I thought a light rifle was better than a heavy one for this years 98lb pack out, but now I realize I was completely wrong.

Thanks all. I can really see how a heavier rifle would be a good thing.

[Linked Image]

99# woulda required 2 trips?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I went through a stage where I liked lighter rifles and have had montana's, several faux TI's, a ks, mtn rifles and t3 super lights. I've noticed that a good trigger is a must and so is good load development. The accuracy node with some of my whippy barrels was usually pretty specific. A 1/2 grain of powder change sometimes turned a 2.5 moa load into a sub moa. Form in shooting is critical too and biPods are more likely to cause problems. Consistant forend grip is a must I think because the barrel rise can be quicker.

Still have my 7wsm montana, 270 WSM montana, 1st gen ti 30-06, a faux Ti 223 ai and 7-08, and a few t3's and all shoot sub moa with the right load.

Lately my builds have been leaning towards 22" rem standard sporter contours. I just like the way they balance and I shoot well with them from field positions. My first rifle as a kid was a 700 bdl 6mm. I always shot well with that rifle and killed at least 10 deer with it 1 shot each. Sent a lot of rabbits and rock chucks to the other side with it too. Running rabbits were great off hand practice. Made deer seem too easy.

Maybe I've come full circle because rock is making me some more 8 twist 24 cal rem sporters this week and I'm researching 6 creedmoor reamers. I still have my old BDL 6mm but I'm trying to save what little barrel life I have left on it and keep it original for my boys first deer hunts. A stainless 6 creedmoor the same size should keep more miles off my old bdl.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 02/18/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've tried a few lightweights - 8400 300wsm, wby ULW 3006 & 33806, ULA 7RM, & a T3 SL 3006. Shooting a lightweight from a bench does take a learned technique. I agree with others on a firmer hold on the stock is necessary. Also, with some rifles you can only take two shots before having to let it cool to really see what the rifle can do and what it likes.

I think balance and fit are more important that a few ounces. I couldn't shoot the 2 Wby's offhand as well due to that thin fluted barrel - it just seemed too muzzle-light/"whippy". The ULA was just about perfect, and the T3SL is close. The 8400 just didn't fit me well.

When I take my hunting rifles to the range, I'm mostly shooting offhand at the gong at 200 yards - max length at that shooting range. I feel its great practice for elk season. But I first do load workup with a scope of at least 18/20+ power. No sense in not finding what load the rifle likes best. Handloading to cut group size is simply adding precision. And I know that I can shoot better groups at 200 with a fixed 36x than a fixed 6x. I then mount the selected "hunting" scope and mostly practice offhand/hunting position shooting.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A rifle is too light when the sights wander all aver the target and when the sight picture is right and you sqeeze the trigger I kicks the crap out of you. A rifle that weighs 7.5-8# is my preference, I like a medium barrel profile that feels a little toward the muzzle heavy side.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably fifteen years ago I was sitting in Dave Gentry's shop, talking guns like I often did with him. He was one of a handful of early progenitors of the "sheep rifle" concept. He turned out quite a few light rifles in the 80's and 90's.

However, after using one of his own sub 7lb rifles on a sheep hunt he told me he'd decided, for him, an all-up weight of 7.75lbs felt the best.

Of course a lot of this stuff is subjective, and a light rifle like a NULA with a no.2 contour is going to feel "heavier" and more steady than an equal weighted Kimber Montana with its no.1 barrel contour. Weight out front is the best thing a "light" rifle can carry IME/O.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Weight out front is the best thing a "light" rifle can carry IME/O.

So then, a heavy muzzle brake would benefit such a rifle.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Probably fifteen years ago I was sitting in Dave Gentry's shop, talking guns like I often did with him. He was one of a handful of early progenitors of the "sheep rifle" concept. He turned out quite a few light rifles in the 80's and 90's.

However, after using one of his own sub 7lb rifles on a sheep hunt he told me he'd decided, for him, an all-up weight of 7.75lbs felt the best.

Of course a lot of this stuff is subjective, and a light rifle like a NULA with a no.2 contour is going to feel "heavier" and more steady than an equal weighted Kimber Montana with its no.1 barrel contour. Weight out front is the best thing a "light" rifle can carry IME/O.

I agree with Gentry. I've been though sub 7lbs up to post 9 lbs hunting elk. I shoot the rifles best that weigh between 7.5 and 8 lbs. My current 'active' stable all weigh between 7.5 and 8 lbs. I keep my 375 at 9lbs because I'll never take it elk hunting plus I shot an 8 lb 375 loaded to max with 300 gr boolits and found it sucked more than a bit. I also tried a few 7lb Montanas in 300 WSM and found them a bit light for my tastes with full 180-200 gr loads.

Looking at your M70 thread and considering my own aged body (52 in May), I'm becoming more of a 7.5 lb M70 30-06 kind of guy. I hated the 30-06 for years, mainly because it didn't do anything really well. I always defaulted to various fast 7's. The older I get, the more I see that the 30-06 does a bunch of things good. I'm not much of a long range shooter on animals so the ultra flat shooting, turret twisting phenom is kind of lost on me even though I have a few turreted rifles and have experimented with the concept. I've never had an issue with getting close to animals, a result of years of archery hunting and knowing how to hunt. For 99% of my mountain hunting a 7.5 lb scoped 30-06 works well.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 59 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,910
Posts18,518,654
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.