Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
SNAP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
The largest working cattle ranch in the world, Douglas Lake Ranch, currently "owned" by an American billionaire, is restricting BC citizens access to outstanding trout fishing on Crown Lands, by some illegal gates on public roads.

Some, of these lakes were stocked at taxpayer expense, but, these foreigners now consider them "private" and are attempting to have ONLY their wealthy, usually foreign clients enjoy the superb fishing found in them.....

This, IMO, could well be THE conflict that REALLY heats up and starts the coming changes in BC resource policy.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sad....you folks better get started.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard alot about this, I wonder if there is a map of where these lakes are in relation to the ranch. I wonder are the lakes surrounded by the ranch property?
Too access the lakes do you have to drive across ranch property?
Why cant someone just build a new road in to the lake/s? that wont run across ranch property.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SNAP

This, IMO, could well be THE conflict that REALLY heats up and starts the coming changes in BC resource policy.

The resident hunters and fishers of BC will have to get active politically as individuals and through different fish and wildlife organizations for change to happen, it won't happen otherwise.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If they are illegal, shouldn't it be a simple matter to have them removed?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

S
SNAP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Billionaires, hire LAWYERS and "nuisance" actions against average people result.....they can drag on for YEARS.

BC, has some if the last, finest, wilderness hunting/angling and ski mountaineering left in North America/The World. Wealthy people want to enjy this and this is a "safe" country to come to, so, there is BIG money to be made in acquiring the "rights" to the land and/or the "rights" as in Guide/OUtfitter concessions.

Other VERY rich people, all over BC, mostly foreigners, Americans and Germans are the majority, obtain the above and then OFTEN close off access to local people.

The ONLY way to deal with this is by legislation and confiscation, then, re-patriation. The current government is a "neo-con" bumch of largely "Bible Clutchers", many ARE immigrants and they won't do squat.....but, the anger is building and WE WILL WIN!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You are correct about BC having some of the finest hunting.

As I have read your posts, posts that are mostly anti-American, I have been spurned to action. I had not planned any BC hunts this year, but since you joined a few weeks ago just to rant about us, I've decided it's as good a time as any to go. Just booked another spring bear hunt in the Kootenays, and you can claim all the credit. I would not have been going this spring without you.
Thanks!

S
SNAP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well, you are mistaken in that my motivation has nothing to do with being ...anti-American..., but, attitudes such as those which you have posted on the thread concerning the current problems with GOs here are hardly going to convince we BCers to support guys like you coming here.

I am also going to be in the Kootenays this spring, who knows, perhaps, we might meet, eh?

Do you think that your GO might pay me a "finder's fee".....laffin'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know anything about the poster you are referring too but will say right now many of us are very upset about the betrayal of our government to have screw us over the way they have done. Your post is just as bad as the guy you are referring to and uncalled for. It wouldn't be much different had one of us come on and gloated about Obama being re elected, no most of us honestly felt quite bad for our neighbours to the south.....

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Being insulting is not the way to get a point across or get my sympathy. Yes, I do think BC should manage it's game as it sees fit. If that is no foreign hunters, so be it. It's your country, not mine. But, when someone signs up here just to tell me what I should and shouldn't do in a very disrespectful manner, I don't feel much sympathy for him.

As far as gloating about hunting in BC, who wouldn't be excited about hunting there. I've hunted there quite a few times over the last 15ys or so and been just as excited on each trip as if it was my first. This year I would not be going if it wasn't for the posts of this person. He should get the credit.

IC B3

S
SNAP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Do you consider my posts on this to be ...bad...?

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who can blame you for booking a hunt in BC Kodiakisland, if I was a non-resident and it was available to me and I could afford it I would book too.
Its going to get alot more serious as the resident hunters are lied too about some of the stats,, I listened to the minister responsible the other day on the radio and all he did was skew the facts and dance around the issue. He stated how many animals that resident hunters killed last year, I would like to know where he got his numbers, or any numbers at all considering that the reporting of game harvested is completely voluntary.
He never stated how many licences were sold but how many were harvested by residents and we should be happy about this.

The game pops are good where G/O operate because of limited road access and low hunter numbers, not so almost everywhere else.

Trouble is we cant vote them out because we dont have any other choices as the other political party wants to take the hunting away completely,, and I'm afraid they know this and will count on hunter apathy to achieve their goal

S
SNAP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Yup, you got that right, the NDP are GOING to BAN handguns, then longguns and then restrict hunting to a certain minority group.

We are now in the WORST situation concerning BC environmental management, hunting, fishing and even back country access that I can recall in the 62+ years of my BC outdoor experience.

IF, we do not change this within about 5 years, we average folks here will just have memories left and like tracks, they make dammed thin soup!

There, are still LOTS of bears left, but, the Kootenays has suffered a major loss in ungulates due to record high predator populations and poaching and GO kills during the past few years and WE NEED to change this and NOW.

However, at 68, no kids or close relatives who now hunt, WHY should I bother to spend time and energy on this when I have other issues and interests.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snap is most likely Kutenay that used to post on this site so that should tell you something. Quite frankly most of the posters from Canada on here are quite respectful and you let one guy somehow get to you?

Booking a hunt out of spite, never thought I would see that. I could wish you a hearty campfire Good For You Sir but that would be wrong. That is my final comment on this subject.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not out of spite. Out of the fact it seems some or many there want to cut my hunting off completely. Why would I wait? Shouldn't I go when I can? I'm not going to lie. I love hunting BC. I'd be there twice a year every year if I could.

I certainly haven't hunted with every GO in BC and have no desire to. Most of my hunting is with one of the many Leuenbergers in the Kootenays. They are locals. Their guides are locals. I have no idea what residents think of them, but I hold them in high esteem.

From my experience living on Kodiak Island, the GOs have less negative impact in general on game numbers than locals. I would guess the male/female ratios for the GOs would look much better than for residents for bear, mnt lion, goats. I saw residents on Kodiak shoot bears that a guide never would have. I'm sure it's the same most places.

Also, you should be glad it's me who is hunting this spring. In five spring hunts only one bear has been shot. I'm not there to kill something. I can't even begin to count how many bear I've seen in BC and could have killed, but that's not all I'm after. I doubt anything will be shot this spring as well. The majority of my tags in BC have gone unfilled by choice. I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to visiting hunters.

S
SNAP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
This, is entirely irrelevant to the issues of this thread and that requesting US hunters to refrain from booking here to help us save our hunting heritage. I suppose that I should not be surprised, but, I am rather saddened and also amused by the comments made on both threads by Ki.

It is ironic, whenever a BC person questions the value of foreign hunting/angling to we who OWN the resources, there is often a huge outcry from a certain type of US hunter, to wit, "but, we are ALL hunters and brothers, huh".....

However, when asked to help defeat the looming loss of most of our hunting heritage, many, not all, of these same guys are NOT quite so "fraternal" and THAT is now obvious to many voters here with the obvious effect upon their political choices.

In any event, I suggest reading the threads on BC and Canadian-based hunting forums as well as the many, many letters by all sorts of BC people in newspapers here and then realize that this IS the defining conflict over our wildlife/fisheries resources.

Only an arrogant fool would deliberately antagonize any BC citizen over this issue, but, whatever, I think the point is now made.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You seem to be too stupid to understand who your enemy is. It is not American hunters, but your own countrymen. You have far more to do with how things are run than I do, do you not? To think hunters aren't going to hunt is stupid. Anytime you leave your own backyard you are encroaching on others. Now I get it that you want me to stay in my own yard, but that's not reality. People travel to hunt. All over the world. Not just to BC. I never felt any animosity toward any Canadians who came to hunt bear on Kodiak that I never could. Frustrated with my own state for sure, but never the visiting hunters. I would do the same if I was in their position.

So anyway, continue to be an ass toward Americans and wonder why they don't do as you say. Hunters will hunt where ever there are tags. Vote in some elections and get things changed if you really desire to keep us out.

S
SNAP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am not frustrated with hunters from other nations and have assisted many, on this site, as well as in person and in the area where you plan on hunting bears soon.

I have clearly posted my support for a specific access percentage in the thread requesting support and these are in line with the majority of other jurisdictions in North America.

I used to work protecting the wilderness in the very place you plan on hunting this spring and know the area VERY well. I was thinking of a trip there this spring and may well do that to do some photography and camping.

As to ...reality...well, I will not argue with you as guys like you are not in the majority of US hunters I have met and your attitude is not my problem.

I am done with you and anyone like you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Not out of spite. Out of the fact it seems some or many there want to cut my hunting off completely. Why would I wait? Shouldn't I go when I can? I'm not going to lie. I love hunting BC. I'd be there twice a year every year if I could.

I certainly haven't hunted with every GO in BC and have no desire to. Most of my hunting is with one of the many Leuenbergers in the Kootenays. They are locals. Their guides are locals. I have no idea what residents think of them, but I hold them in high esteem.

From my experience living on Kodiak Island, the GOs have less negative impact in general on game numbers than locals. I would guess the male/female ratios for the GOs would look much better than for residents for bear, mnt lion, goats. I saw residents on Kodiak shoot bears that a guide never would have. I'm sure it's the same most places.

Also, you should be glad it's me who is hunting this spring. In five spring hunts only one bear has been shot. I'm not there to kill something. I can't even begin to count how many bear I've seen in BC and could have killed, but that's not all I'm after. I doubt anything will be shot this spring as well. The majority of my tags in BC have gone unfilled by choice. I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to visiting hunters.

If you insist on coming at least tag some black bears. We have too many of them. :-) And tip the Joe working for the outfitter because they are usually poorly paid.

Last edited by CanuckShooter; 01/27/15.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good Lord, shut up Kute. There is an arrogant fool in this conversation and it ain't KI.

Your rants have the taint of dementia. Lots of folks here are steaming about the predicament and your passive aggressive approach at the wrong people is only antagonizing a demographic that has nothing to do with it.

The problem with the BC government is the problem with the BC people. They want all the cake and then they want some one else to pay for it. Then they want a socially liberal, fiscally conservative government that creates high paying, easy jobs that respects the environment too well that.......
And eventually you end up in your current political predicament. No kidding.
It's a democracy: you get what you ask for, and if you waste too much time some one will ask for you. Time is a wasting.....

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.