Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If the OP or anyone else wants to take a single shot, by all means take one. The two shot stuff for DG is baloney. You will have plenty of time to reload if necessary. You will have a PH and he will keep you out of trouble.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
If the OP or anyone else wants to take a single shot, by all means take one. The two shot stuff for DG is baloney. You will have plenty of time to reload if necessary. You will have a PH and he will keep you out of trouble.

Have to absolutely agree with you sir! I have never encountered or heard of a Buff that charged straight after the first shot. Even with a single shot, unless the first shot did not find it's mark, I still can't see the PH coming into play. The PH should only be there as a last resort.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Wouldn't mind using a Ruger No.1 in 450/400 3" for buffalo,leopard or even lion. The thing is,there's a PH who might/can (depending on the situation) back up your shot.

Every PH I've known or experienced are trained professionals and will keep you out of dangerous situations. Yes they will back u up if necessary. It is their job to guide you to have a successful and safe hunt.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At some point, this one needs to shoot a buff:

[Linked Image]

So far I have the 500 Woodleighs up to 1975 fps. I'd like to try for 2100 fps, which is sho'nuff .470 Nitro territory

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice!

If I might ask, Who makes those rings?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

Have to absolutely agree with you sir! I have never encountered or heard of a Buff that charged straight after the first shot. Even with a single shot, unless the first shot did not find it's mark, I still can't see the PH coming into play. The PH should only be there as a last resort.

The problem is not (usually) with the buff charging. The problem is with the buff escaping. The difference between a single shot and a repeater can be an extra day or two tracking, or a lost animal.

As for PH backup, have you ever seen a PH miss a complete elephant? I have. Twice.

I could see using an SS if there were some advantage to outweigh its deficiencies. But there is not. It is no more accurate and no more powerful.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Nice!

If I might ask, Who makes those rings?

Ruger

http://shopruger.com/searchscoperingresults.asp?dept=245&txtsearch=4BO*

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
How did I miss those?

Thanks!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do be warned, they are solid steel, and not especially lightweight, but #1's normally aren't light rifles, anyway.

Unless I have an unusually long scope, that's about all I use on #1's

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have Warne QDs on it now. I don't think the weight will be an issue.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Wouldn't mind using a Ruger No.1 in 450/400 3" for buffalo,leopard or even lion. The thing is,there's a PH who might/can (depending on the situation) back up your shot.

Every PH I've known or experienced are trained professionals and will keep you out of dangerous situations. Yes they will back u up if necessary. It is their job to guide you to have a successful and safe hunt.
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Yup.

Except, the PH won't likely have a single shot.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Merkel K1, 7mm Remington Magnum

[Linked Image]

Eland (2 shots)
Zebra (1 shot)
Blue Wildebeest (1 shot)
Black Wildebeest (4 shots - bad first placement)
Red Hartebeest (1 shot)
Springbok (1 shot)
Warthog (1 shot)

At 6.5# fully loaded and slinged, it was an absolute delight to carry the miles I put down each day.

Hunt Africa while you can
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This thread needs more pics, like the one posted above. These have been posted a few yrs. back, but WTH it's cold and it's Feb.....grin

My son and I with a pair of Ruger No.1s 375 H&H mags for our 2011 DG hunt in Zim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My son in South Africa with his Handi Rifle 30-06

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
and a few more of Dan with his single shot 06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Yup.

Except, the PH won't likely have a single shot.
Yup,most likely a bolt action,with a few having double's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I think I'd be sending those pictures to H&R! Great pics. Love the bloodhound, by the way. He doesn't look very old. Tracker?

Is that the .375 you had listed in the classified?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
RevMike, Those H&R pics were taken in July 2008, while we were on our plains game hunt in SA. We hunted the Limpopo with Cruiser Safaris. The bloodhound was a 3 month old pup, they were going to make into a tracker dog. His name was Rico, and he was a cutey.

No good sending the pics to H&R, they are going to stop making the Handi rifles. frown

Yes that is the 375 I listed in the classifieds. Been really torn about selling it, but I know I'll never be going back to Africa. No takers, but I only bumped it twice. If I find somebody that's really interested, I sell the gun and all the supplies listed with the gun, for $1,000. Anything less, and to heck with it, it can be my "safe queen" grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 02/17/15.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I doubt PHs see very many H&Rs on safari. I think a lot of us probably cut our shotgunning teeth on them.

That's the gun with the Decelerator, right? Did you lengthen the factory LOP or return it to factory specs? It's a nice looking setup.

I wonder how successful they were at keeping Rico from baying on the track. One thing about bloodhounds: they do like the sound of their own voices.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It still has the decelerator pad on it. It only increased the LOP maybe 1/4-3/8", but it sure tamed the round compared to that crappy factory installed pad.

maddog

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.