-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ive got a buddy who will consistently shoot a small cantaloupe at 1000-1200 yards and has shot a 10" group at 2700+ i sent him this video and said "i wouldnt have taken that shot, that guy is a dumbass"

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ringman, you don't need to remind me that I told a guy who took a shot that was obviously beyond his capabilities to get closer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Looks like coldboremiracle may have found the Campfire didn't warm his, uh, bore. He hasn't been back on-line for almost two days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The long range forum on here reminds me of lord of the flies , why it even exists on the site is beyond me. None of the cool kids like it , even though they constantly post here. Posting about anything here is like wiping your ass before you crap.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just like a bank shot, gotta call it before it counts.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BCJR
The long range forum on here reminds me of lord of the flies , why it even exists on the site is beyond me. None of the cool kids like it , even though they constantly post here. Posting about anything here is like wiping your ass before you crap.

I disagree, I've been interested in Long Range Hunting and have read the Forum For Years. Most of what I've learned I consider to be invaluable information.

I've learned from reading the importance of developing skill and things that help considerably to maximize effectiveness such as staying within ones developed skill level.

If I accidentally head shoot an elk at 900 yds from what I have learned because I am a pay attentioner....is I have gone beyond my skill level.

If I am actually aiming for the head I haven't yet learned to maximize effectiveness and would consider myself to be piss poorly instructed. Because I pay attention to intelligent individuals I actually picked up on that little tidbit.

The longest shot I've ever tried is 530 yds and it required one squeeze of the trigger for a successful one shot kill. The shot was easy and I was 100% confident in the rifle, the load, and the conditions or I never would have taken the shot. Previous practice told me I successfully made the shot at the range all year long with zero misses. If I had missed 5 out of 50 shots fired at 500 yds during practice I would have not taken the shot.

I learned these principles from reading the long range forum and it is greatly appreciated and valuable.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
CGPAUL, I went back and read your post.

"It worked out for you, nice job??"

You may want to reconsider. Since it didn't, and it wasn't.

And while you're at it, look up "ethics" in the dictionary. You're confusing "personal ethic" with ethical. Just because someone's personal ethic allows him to botch a questionable shot and post a video, that doesn't make it ethical.

Last edited by smokepole; 02/24/15.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There is no place for this in hunting...shooting yes but hunting NO! I am all for shooting at whatever distances one wants to shoot - at targets. Animals deserve more respect than this and the animals that I see every year in the PA woods that are missing legs, flopping jaws, gut shot (that I find dead) are a small testament to that fact. Are there guys out there that can do this on a fairly consistent basis- sure there are, but they are few - just watch the 1000 yds silhouette matches at Ridgway, PA and see many targets these guys hit (out of 40) and you might get a feeling how many animals get wounded because of some jackass's need to compensate for some shortcoming - hey just my opinion but I think the people that do this are in need of some serious mental help.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 02/24/15.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What you likely see in PA is almost always a result of the short range shooters that most folks are.

I've come to learn that typically when a person shoots longer than they have any business doing, it will result in a complete miss.

Its the weekend warriors that have bore sighted guns, and never practice that bother me WAY more than a good practiced experienced LR shooter.

Yet a top LR shooter will know to never take the shot that was taken here, at least at the head, due to a number of factors.

Fact is even though a lung shot would have been gravy at that distance in those conditiosn, due to the alerted posture of the animal, I"d have never even tried that shot personally. Grazing un alert, sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495
What you likely see in PA is almost always a result of the short range shooters that most folks are.

The inbreading in PA causes much of this phenomenon. The truth is the average in bread fella has no business even owning a rifle. Not all men are created equal.

If one can't sucessfully take game at distance you have no business being there.

If one can it is there business to be there. Inbreads need not apply.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Inbread huh?

A guy named Shodd who signs off as Shod, calling others "inbread" is a [bleep] riot.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Shodd,

If you read my post dumbazz I said there are those that can do it - but the ones that I know that can do it won't because of the respect that they have for the animal (if they HAD too they would and could) - I respect them for that.

p.s. wheat is "inbread"

Last edited by PennDog; 02/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CGPaul,
We have enough rules already.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by PennDog
Shodd,

If you read my post dumbazz I said there are those that can do it - but the ones that I know that can do it won't because of the respect that they have for the animal (if they HAD to they would and could) - I respect them for that.

p.s. wheat is "inbread"

Don't try and reason with a guy who's family tree is a telephone pole.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smokepole,
Check again. I didn't suggest you get closer.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No, I don`t want to reconsider, the technical aspects "worked out". The conditions under which the shot was taken, were IMHO,perfect. I think I also mentioned that I ASSUMED he had thought it out. But, I was not there. Nor was anyone else that has posted here.

As far as "ethics" are concerned,and please excuse my rotten spelling,the only thing here is our "personal" ethics. His personal ethics broke the shot. Mine didn`t nor did yours.

"Ethical", who or what decides that? I don`t have to tell you many that visit this site consider anything remotely resembling long range( I`ll say 150yrds and over) un-ethical, as the dictonary defines it.
Are they right?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No. They too are confusing their own personal ethic with "ethical."

Ethical means only taking shots you can make, regardless of the distance.

Last edited by smokepole; 02/24/15.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hmmm...so I`m talking to someone that has never done it..or wasn`t that you on the 1082-960 thread?
As someone once said....let your fingers do the shooting. You have not been there.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Until this thread I never gave long range hunting much thought. I must say I am not impressed. If your going to argue some superiority to this form of hunting because of slobs driving deer in Pennsylvania well 2 wrongs don't make a right. 900 yards on a big game animal, really.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're right, I've never taken a 900 yard head shot. I don't have to. It's unethical and that has nothing to do with the technical aspects.

Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.