Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There it is a lot of history about him in Medora ND. His ranching days there were transforming.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
He tried to move the GOP toward Progressivism, including trust busting and increased business regulation. In November 1904, he was reelected in a landslide against conservative Democrat Alton Brooks Parker. Roosevelt called his domestic policies a "Square Deal", promising a fair deal to the average citizen while breaking up monopolistic corporations, holding down railroad rates, and guaranteeing pure food and drugs. He was the first president to speak out on conservation, and he greatly expanded the system of national parks and national forests. By 1907, he propounded more radical reforms, which were blocked by the conservative Republicans in Congress.
Wikipedia
One of our great presidents. Contrast him and Barry Goldwater with today's bunch you see how far to the right the Republican party has moved to.
Little known fact- His party bosses wanted him out of the way. So, they lobbied to put him on the ticket with Mckinley as VP. Giving him a powerless, obscure office. Then Mckinley gets assassinated. You know the rest of the story.
"American Experience" on PBS did a show on Roosevelt which is worth watching.

Last edited by LostHighway; 02/24/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
You would be unlikely to find a bigger TR fan than me. He was the right man at the right time and conducted himself above reproach and acted a leader and not a manager. I suspect I have read a dozen books on him.

That being said, his platform for the Bull Moose Party was decidedly contrary to conservatism of the day (along with some good ideas) and his ego in running as a third party candidate in 1912 likely got us the useless POS Woodrow Wilson.

There's a lesson to be learned there.

THIS. I will also add (and of course in the context of the times), he would have agreed with the all-too-true contents depicted in the book "The Bell Curve"...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any body that Glen Beck hates can't be all bad. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been watching the 7 part series on the Roosevelts created by Ken Burns.

Unfortunately I missed the Teddy Roosevelt segment and started in on FDR during the New Deal activities - but I've been addicted to watching them since I caught the first one.

I had several ideas about FDR that turned out to be wrong.

But this documentary is so good, I'm going to track down the first episodes and watch them on Teddy.

Ken Burns does amazing work.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Teddy was our last GREAT President.

Although I freely admit, his writing bores me to tears.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Although I freely admit, his writing bores me to tears.

Clark

Thought I was the only one.
I bought an 800+ page book of his about ten/twelve years ago.
IIRC I'm on page 200.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Pretty horrible IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Consider the times and the real problems of those days.

Anybody want to go back to those long work weeks and working conditions?

If the choice is between that and what's ahead of us, it may be better than what's ahead.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Do you think "Teddy", was seen as to progressive in his day, by the conservatives?

Yes, he was liberal on many issues. He was strong on defense, but also an activist in business issues and was instrumental in federal land grabs.

Yes!

Were he President today, the RP bunch would have a fit about him Trust busting and establishing National Parks. He was quite progressive in his day, but he was no puss. TR was staill a man's man in many respects. Hard work, fresh air, and a can do attitude ruled his thinking.

Sagamore Hill is a great tour, should you get a chance to see his stuff.

As an author, his writings are stilted and dry, which was the style of the day.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Do you think "Teddy", was seen as to progressive in his day, by the conservatives?

Yes, he was liberal on many issues. He was strong on defense, but also an activist in business issues and was instrumental in federal land grabs.

Yes!

Were he President today, the RP bunch would have a fit about him Trust busting and establishing National Parks. He was quite progressive in his day, but he was no puss. TR was staill a man's man in many respects. Hard work, fresh air, and a can do attitude ruled his thinking.

how do you think Fox News would treat him?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
He be railroaded by "conservatives".

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

It is a superb tour and the best historic home, emphasis on home and not house, tour I've ever been on and I've been on a lot. You can truly see a man who loved his country, family and the outdoors embodied in a building. Even the US Park Service, notorious for a stick up their butt, was nice. Finn, our lab, had been in the truck for several hours and we still had an hour to go to our tour time. We asked a strolling ranger where we could take to walk around and she said "Anywhere you like, the Colonel would approve"

You want dry TR, read the Naval War of 1812. The definitive source but boring does not begin to describe it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You want dry TR, read the Naval War of 1812. The definitive source but boring does not begin to describe it.

Dry, but very informative. His journal from the River of No Return is also good. African Game Trails was interesting, but did not reflect well on his shooting abilities- but it shows he was honest about his failures.

Who is John Galt?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
TR went outside the Constitution with his expansion of executive power.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
A hundred, and six years after Theodore Roosevelt's presidency. It is pure speculation, but I wonder how he would stand on the Keystone pipeline?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just finished a re-read of "The Rough Riders"

Here's a typical book site review,....

In 1898, as the Spanish-American War was escalating, Theodore Roosevelt assembled an improbable regiment of Ivy Leaguers, cowboys, Native Americans, African-Americans, and Western Territory land speculators. This group of men, which became known as the Rough Riders, trained for four weeks in the Texas desert and then set sail for Cuba. Over the course of the summer, Roosevelt's Rough Riders fought valiantly, and sometimes recklessly, in the Cuban foothills, incurring casualties at a far greater rate than the Spanish. Roosevelt kept a detailed diary from the time he left Washington until his triumphant return from Cuba later that year.
The Rough Riders was published to instant acclaim in 1899.
Robust in its style and mesmerizing in its account of battle, it is exhilarating, illuminating, and utterly essential reading for every armchair historian and at-home general.

As an artillerist,....I found his comments on the 1" Gatlings, the Hotchkiss, and the "Dynamite guns" of interest,....

As an American, I was profoundly impressed at the style of leadership that he espoused, practiced, and promoted, not in words but in his ACTIONS.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/25/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've been watching the 7 part series on the Roosevelts created by Ken Burns.

Unfortunately I missed the Teddy Roosevelt segment and started in on FDR during the New Deal activities - but I've been addicted to watching them since I caught the first one.

I had several ideas about FDR that turned out to be wrong.

But this documentary is so good, I'm going to track down the first episodes and watch them on Teddy.

Ken Burns does amazing work.

Great series.

The distinctions between the family trees was striking.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That being said, his platform for the Bull Moose Party was decidedly contrary to conservatism of the day (along with some good ideas) and his ego in running as a third party candidate in 1912 likely got us the useless POS Woodrow Wilson.

There's a lesson to be learned there.

And 80 years later the same thing happened again. Bush 1 was up for re-election and along comes Ross Perot, who split the vote. The end result was gun-control Clinton.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
TR went outside the Constitution with his expansion of executive power.

Yep, between the National Wildlife Refuge system, vast increases in national parks, forests and monuments holdings not to mentioned the Panama Canal Zone. As I said, complex guy. Lots to admire and lots to question.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 62 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,884
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.