Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've seen these type of questions asked before and the answer is often "either one".

Here is why I am asking:
- kicking off a custom build
- Historically, have seen Kreiger portrayed as the gold standard of cut rifled barrels.
- However, recently the precision crowd seems to have really switched from Kreiger to Bartlein.
- And I've heard that Bartlein was founded by a bunch of guys that used to be at Kreiger

Wondering if the answer is still "either one" or if something is changing?

Last edited by 10generation; 03/01/15.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 10generation

- And I've heard that Bartlein was founded by a bunch of guys that used to be at Kreiger

And along with Mike Rock, all trained under Boots Obermyer, which is still making barrels..Lots of good ones out there.

My first Bart is being chambered right now, and I bet I like it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No one is leaving Krieger for Bartlein.At least among the match shooters I know.You hear this from some individual shooters but Kriegers are still very much present on the line among the people I talk to about it (recently as this past week).Match shooters are a finicky, fickle and funny bunch. smile

One close pal and active match shooter says he has a Bartlein 6.5/284 that has been a headache. He will rebarrel to a Krieger....Another pal went from Krieger to a Hart.

Any barrel maker is capable of producing a lemon or maybe the smith screwed the pooch a bit (who knows?). But for we poor slob hunters anyone should be comfy with a Krieger or a Bartlein,either one and have been shooing Kriegers longer than I can remember. I doubt most hunters will/can tell the difference.

I'd worry more about who is putting the rifle together than any difference between these two tubes. Me, I just bought another Krieger. smile I need a 7mm 9 twist #2 Krieger for backup. Next!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
True, the plumber is very important. You never know with all the variables. I've got two .243's plumbed by the same guy,at the same time, same reamer..one with a lilja, the other a krieger..the Lilja stole the show initially,however after 500 rounds the Krieger is whooping on the lilja..Thats actually been a common theme for me in the cut vs. button scenario, which makes me lean to the cut side.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bartlein was used by 30 out of 50 of the top shooters in the Precision Rifle Series. These are the major leagues of sniper-style competitions, with targets typically in the 300-1000 yard range.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/11/18/rifle-barrels-what-the-pros-use/

Tucson's most noteworthy gunsmiths Dave Miller Co and P.O. Holehan only use Kreiger.

I recently chambered a 5R Bartlein in 6 BR. Looking at the new rifling with a borescope was darn near impossible. There was only a hint of a shadow representing the land/groove junction.

I can't imagine either brand of barrel would be a poor choice.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Either will be good. Yes, Frank Green and Tracy Bartlein came from Kreiger.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
the gunsmith im using to have a rifle built at the moment uses only bartlein and kreiger barrels. they pick the contour, cal and twist and then order from whoever has the blank in stock. I think either way a good choice. my barrel will be a bartlein

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think doing a smallish contour blank in stainless befuddles both of them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bartlein will do a slightly smaller contour than Krieger. I have a #2 bartlein 6.5mm & a #2B 7mm (same as everybody else's #3). Krieger started that stupid no skinny stainless policy & several other makers followed them.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Bartleins I have inspected looked as good as the Kriegers. Both look better than Brux. GD

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I lean toward selecting the smith I want to use and going with his barrel suggestion. His rear end is on the line as much if not more than the barrel maker.

IMO.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wondering about choosing a Kreiger or Bartlein because of what the precision shooters are doing is like a 20 handicap golfer choosing a set of clubs because that is what the Pros are using at the moment.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Pat85
Wondering about choosing a Kreiger or Bartlein because of what the precision shooters are doing is like a 20 handicap golfer choosing a set of clubs because that is what the Pros are using at the moment.

You're gonna always have some of that, which isn't all bad.

I have Kreiger, Brux, Hart, PacNor, Broughton and Shilen tubes. For hunting guns, probably not enough difference to worry about.

My latest build, a 26 Nos on a 7RM 700 BDL, the smith was able to get Shilen Match tubes very quickly, so that's the way my pard and I went. Both are half MOA hunting guns, so what's not to like. And, we had them back from the smith, in their stocks, scopes mounted, ready to shoot in just a few weeks, not months or even a year, like some.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. For a hunting rifle I'd phone around and see which good barrel maker had the twist/contour I want in stock, or soonest to be in stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rosco1
True, the plumber is very important. You never know with all the variables. I've got two .243's plumbed by the same guy,at the same time, same reamer..one with a lilja, the other a krieger..the Lilja stole the show initially,however after 500 rounds the Krieger is whooping on the lilja..Thats actually been a common theme for me in the cut vs. button scenario, which makes me lean to the cut side.

Agreed me too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Bartlein will do a slightly smaller contour than Krieger. I have a #2 bartlein 6.5mm & a #2B 7mm (same as everybody else's #3). Krieger started that stupid no skinny stainless policy & several other makers followed them.

Crow Hunter, Those will be very short barrels after chambered-22"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I will likely never have a Krieger unless it's CM because Bartlein, Rock, Lilja, Pac Nor, Hart, Shilen, Brux, Obermeyer, and others I can't think of now will make a stainless barrel in a hunting weight contour. That doesn't mean Krieger doesn't make a good barrel though, just not what I normally want.

If I ever desire a target barrel I would be happy to use a Krieger.

Of the list above I have had a Brux, two Rocks (before Rock left, don't know if that makes a difference), and two Bartleins. From a pure accuracy standpoint the "heavier" barrels, heaviest being a 6 BR in a Brux #3, second heaviest a 30-06 in a Bartlein #3, shot best. The difference hunting is imperceptible.

If I had to purchase a barrel and had a timetable I would find what I wanted from Lilja's in stock barrels. They will also turn down an in stock barrel to a smaller contour for a fee.

The last time I ordered a barrel it was a Bartlein, in CM. It will be blued. It will shoot well enough to hunt.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Crow Hunter, Those will be very short barrels after chambered-22"

Wondering if Bartlein will a 2b that will finish @ 24"

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by 10generation

And along with Mike Rock, all trained under Boots Obermyer, which is still making barrels..Lots of good ones out there.

My first Bart is being chambered right now, and I bet I like it.

Mullerworks is the same story. And my Muller shoots wonderfully.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My Krieger will out shoot my Bartlien 50% of the time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.