Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
From Drudge....

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mental-mishaps/201005/dogs-dont-remember

If I walk into the backyard, the dogs are overjoyed to see me and act like they haven't seen me for days. If I stay in the backyard, they quickly become bored with me. If I go inside and return after 10-15 minutes, my dogs are overjoyed to see me and act like they haven't seen me in days. They don't remember that I was in the backyard just a few minutes ago.

Prob'ly goes a long way towards explaining why we're best friends grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Hell they don't remember. Anyone with a dog that's ever found something in one spot can tell you that they will look in that spot again and again for it.

The overjoyed part is simple pack behavior. It comes from knowing that another member of the pack has gone somewhere else and may be bringing back good food, scents, etc., and the rest of the pack is interested and excited by the potential new discoveries.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mistreat a dog and see if they don't remember.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting read.

Have any long motorcycle trips planned with your old KLR650 in the near future?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
My dogs proclaim this is all BS.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you substitute liberal for dog you would be correct.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't buy it. My old Brittany would get somewhat excited if I asked if she wanted to go for a walk. If I asked if she wanted to go hunting she'd be bouncing off the ceiling. If we drove to my friend's house who owned her brother, it be the same thing, just about going nuts in the cab of the pickup. So no, I don't buy that they don't remember.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My folks Dachshund believes the Boogie Man or something similar resides inside of the closet that holds the HVAC unit. About 4 times a day, she goes and sits in front of the closet wanting somebody to open the door. She's convinced something is in there making noise when the heater or A/C kicks on, but she never can find it when we open the door..then she goes and lays on her pillow, until she forgets, hears noise and thinks there's a Boogie Man in the HVAC closet...

This has been going on for 10 years....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dog worries I don't like her if I yell at her about something. Just the other day she got in trouble around 1:00 and when we went to bed, she suddenly jumps onto the bed, lays right next to me and looks at me as if to say "I'm so sorry. Can you forgive me?" My hunting dog on the other hand can barely remember his name.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we return to Wyoming after 6 months in Arizona, as soon as we turn onto our street the dogs know exactly where we are and just go nuts with joy.

Our one little dog has a thing for cattleguards, he knows where all of them are that we go over once in a while, some only 2-3 times a year. Maybe 200 yards or so from the cattleguard he gets really excited and starts barking, he knows where we are and that the cattleguard is coming up.

These are just two example of why I think the report is sadly mistaken.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Answer this one.

Toby the English Cocker doesn't care all that much about other Dogs. She- correction he-tolerates them, but isn't all that interested in playing or fooling around with them.

Then one day at a gun club a guy pulls in with a Jeep and out jumps another hunting Cocker who looked to be Toby's twin. They did the smell thing and the guy and I started talking. Turns out they were brothers from a different breeding of the same sire and dam. The two were instantly inseparable. Running to exhaustion together in the field on a cool evening and finally laying in the grass side by side. One moved the other moved.

It was kinda spooky.

Addition: Toby often gets called she in error. Abby the Springer, now hunting in other fields is always there.

Last edited by battue; 03/03/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That was an interesting read. I have seen different reaction from my dog after I've been gone longer than normal on several occasions. But he is smart even by Labrador standards and been highly trained all his life (field trials). Does that make a difference, dunno? Breed specific maybe? What may be true for a pug may not be true for a border collie, again I dunno.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hell,...... I don't remember what happened yesterday!

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try getting a dog into a travel crate the day after you have him fixed at the vet.

Me

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Why we're best friends? Lock your wife and your dog in the car trunk and let them out after an hour.

Which one is happy to see you?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

Why we're best friends? Lock your wife and your dog in the car trunk and let them out after an hour.

*Caution: May not be legal in all states and provinces*

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by JOG

*Caution: May not be legal in all states and provinces*

For the wife or dog?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
My folks Dachshund believes the Boogie Man or something similar resides inside of the closet that holds the HVAC unit. About 4 times a day, she goes and sits in front of the closet wanting somebody to open the door. She's convinced something is in there making noise when the heater or A/C kicks on, but she never can find it when we open the door..then she goes and lays on her pillow, until she forgets, hears noise and thinks there's a Boogie Man in the HVAC closet...

This has been going on for 10 years....

What I think is your Dachshund has you trained very well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
From Drudge....

If I walk into the backyard, the dogs are overjoyed to see me and act like they haven't seen me for days. If I stay in the backyard, they quickly become bored with me. If I go inside and return after 10-15 minutes, my dogs are overjoyed to see me and act like they haven't seen me in days. They don't remember that I was in the backyard just a few minutes ago.

You and Drudge are best friends?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
From Drudge....

You and Drudge are best friends?

Who?

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.