M
Feller used a high leg kick too.

Rapid Robert

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
To steal bases on the great pitchers, you must first reach base.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Drifting slightly away from leg kick, but that kid from Van Meter, Iowa, Bob Feller, have some success with the horsehide.

I actually got to be the catcher for him in an exhibition he did in Everett, WA in 1984. He used to travel around the circuits and do these things quite often. It was quite a thrill for me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not a high leg kicker, but Greg Maddux had the one of the nicest deliveries ever. Lots of guys these days want to rely only on rotating the hips, and don't generate much momentum toward the plate, so leg kick is often minimized.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
My favorite pitching motion of all-time was Tom Glavines.

Fluid, consistent, no unnecessary moving parts, just a thing of phuggin beauty.

You forgot slow and not that good til the upms gave him the 6" Glavine zone off the outside of the plate.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wyoming260

You forgot slow and not that good til the upms gave him the 6" Glavine zone off the outside of the plate.

Well, great pitchers take what they give them. The guy was a machine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For most of his career, Glavine's FB was 90 mph all game and his change was 80 mph. His last few years witht he Mets his FB was 84 and his change 74, but still got double digit wins witht that stuff.

He and Maddux got the calls because they hit the mitt time and time agin. When you get that kind of consistency, you get the calls.

Umpiring is not what you think it is. I went to umpiring school while in college and got certified to do up through HS ball. Best summer job ever! Taught me a whole new dimension to ball. Umpires have a template that keeps the game running. there are times where things don't seem fair or 100% accurate, but it's part of the game that works well a lot more times thean it fails. Replay helps some.

Example - there is no such thing a "tie". Either safe or out.

No rule on check swings like "bat passes the plate or poits down the line". He swung or didn't swing, period.

Ball/strike - is what the ump[ire calls it. Umpire calls it as it crosses the FRONT of the plate.

Bet most of you didn't know that?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If the ump calls the pitch where it crosses the front of the plate, why does it matter if it is hitting the mitt? And how can a catcher "frame" the pitch? They are supposed to call it where it crosses the plate, but appear to be heavily influenced by how and where it is caught.

I pitched D-1 back in the 70's and if catchers had set up like some do now, the catchers balk would have been called.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
If the ump calls the pitch where it crosses the front of the plate, why does it matter if it is hitting the mitt? And how can a catcher "frame" the pitch? They are supposed to call it where it crosses the plate, but appear to be heavily influenced by how and where it is caught.

I pitched D-1 back in the 70's and if catchers had set up like some do now, the catchers balk would have been called.

I've often wondered about that, too.

If the ump is supposed to call it when it crosses the front of the plate, why do the umps bitch so much when the catcher quickly moves his glove from the spot where he caught it? That should be a moot point.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It makes the umpire look bad to the fans who buy the final position of the catcher's mitt.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever seen a ball curve around the plate or fall off the table? I have. Seen a ball be in the dirt called a strike.. hell yes.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

If the ump is supposed to call it when it crosses the front of the plate, why do the umps bitch so much when the catcher quickly moves his glove from the spot where he caught it? That should be a moot point.

Never saw an Ump bitch when a catcher moved his mitt. Ump is seeing where the ball first intersects the plate.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I'll be interested to see if this kid makes the club..

Oakland A's

That'd definitely mess with a hitters head.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys want to see a clinic watch the Nationals this season. They're loaded.

-----------------------------------------------

1. Nationals

In doing these lists all week, this will be the easiest call and, I think, the one least likely to draw your comment-section ire. So that's something.

By most objective measures, the Nats had the best rotation in baseball last season, and they added Scherzer without any subtractions. They now possess five pitchers -- Scherzer, Doug Fister, Jordan Zimmermann, Stephen Strasburg and Tanner Roark -- who ranked in the top 30 on FanGraphs' adjusted ERA scale. And Roark doesn't even have a rotation spot. The left-handed Gio Gonzalez, who regressed last season and yet still had an adjusted ERA+ better than league average, rounds out this stellar starting setup.

We'll see if the Nats deal from this position of depth at any point between now and July 31, but for now there's no denying they go into the year at No. 1 on this list.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Rip Sewell, and the Euphus Ball.
According to lore, it would have hit home plate straight down from above.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by hatari

For most of his career, Glavine's FB was 90 mph all game and his change was 80 mph. His last few years witht he Mets his FB was 84 and his change 74, but still got double digit wins witht that stuff.

He and Maddux got the calls because they hit the mitt time and time agin. When you get that kind of consistency, you get the calls.

Umpiring is not what you think it is. I went to umpiring school while in college and got certified to do up through HS ball. Best summer job ever! Taught me a whole new dimension to ball. Umpires have a template that keeps the game running. there are times where things don't seem fair or 100% accurate, but it's part of the game that works well a lot more times thean it fails. Replay helps some.

Example - there is no such thing a "tie". Either safe or out.

No rule on check swings like "bat passes the plate or poits down the line". He swung or didn't swing, period.

Ball/strike - is what the ump[ire calls it. Umpire calls it as it crosses the FRONT of the plate.

Bet most of you didn't know that?
I did know that stuff..... I also now that when everyone in the park , on tv and in the press boxes is making a joke of the ump's gifts it makes the sport as a whole look bad.

My favorite Maddux moment was in the 1989 playoffs and he , the coach , and the catcher had a meeting on the mound. And the next pitch Will Clark depostied in the seats for a granny...... Heck I could see the coaches mouth moving during the meeting and Maddux agree.... Clark must have felt blessed to know exactly what was coming...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still got to put the bat on it and square it up. I got to know Clark thru my MSU buddies. He could hit!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mike Shannon said, "It's a round bat, and a round ball".

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

Those big league umps aren't fooled by the catcher framing pitches very often. They don't miss many calls. Hatari is right though......when the catcher sets up, and the pitcher is consistently hitting the target, the pitcher will get lots of borderline pitches called for strikes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I played with Will in his only season he played in the minors....1985 Class A Fresno in the Cal League. We called him "the Natural". We also noted that he was always the first guy at the field every day. He had usually taken a couple hundred ground balls at first base, and a hundred or so cuts in the batting cage by the time we all got there.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.