Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
OK, I'm 78 and still very active hunting and fishing. Only problem is I am battling with the wife as she doesn't want me to hunt by myself in case of an accident like if I fall or some other mishap. What do you guys use? I know you can rent satellite phones etc. but what other options are out there? Got to figure something out pretty soon as Turkey season is almost upon us and I have a good out of the way spot to hunt. Don't want to skimp but don't want to break the bank either.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by coyote268; 03/05/15.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Happy Berfday.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cell phone. Oh, and find someone to hunt with you. Mentor a younger hunter, perhaps.

Happy birthday!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Happy Birthday!

Just get a hunting buddy.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can try here http://outdoorsafetygps.com/ Spot Personal Tracker! Looks like just the thing your looking for.

There's also this http://www.laipac.com/personal_locator_gps.htm

here's a review and comparison ot a few of them http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews

Last edited by GhettoSportsman; 03/05/15.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What 4ager and rockinbar said. And Happy Birthday!

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
550 cord and duct tapegrin.

just kidding, my wife worries alot too. I leave route plan and timeline w/ my son. Map out waypoints on gps and she will feel better. Never stop going.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dawggone,

I'm seventy now and getting the same hastle concern from my wife. I don't have a solution more than telling her exactly where I am going.

Where I hunt the cell phone service is great. There is a tower on a hill not more than 1/2 mile from where I leave the road.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

coyote268:

Look hard at ghettosportsman's post. Cell phones or radios often don't work in the mountains. No reception. But SPOT personal locators are satellite based and they work anywhere that they can see the sky. Such a device should give some comfort to your wife.

KC

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
SPOT works.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
dawggone,

I'm seventy now and getting the same hastle concern from my wife. I don't have a solution more than telling her exactly where I am going.

Where I hunt the cell phone service is great. There is a tower on a hill not more than 1/2 mile from where I leave the road.

I think you have me confused with the OP. Working on your math lessons yet?

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cell and Spot to start with.

But IIRC and I know for a fact SPOT doesn't work all the time every place, though it eventually will.... I believe that actual Epirbs have better Sat coverage.

RE Spot we've sent messages or shoudl I say tried to, that would not send for at least 12 plus or close to 18 hours.

Thats just an FYI. I carry SPOT and cell just in case....I'm only 50....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do you have cell phone reception out at the hunting spot? That would be your easiest solution.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In addition to what has been mentioned already, also consider taking a new hunter out with you. They can help if needed, and you're passing on the tradition to someone that would welcome the invitation and the chance to learn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy Birthday

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just reassure my wife that the life insurance premiums are paid up.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cell phone. I'm in a similar situation with being diabetic and agent orange issues. Wife wants me to hunt where I am checked on a couple of times a day or with some one. I carefully select 2-3 hunts per year that are guided. I am blessed as my wife frequently goes with me and stays at camp.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I usually hunt with my Daughter and two Granddaughters. This year my Granddaughter are tied up in school and my Daughter can't hunt this year to much. This is mostly for the Turkey season as Deer season I'm with others. I carry a cell phone but one area I hunt it can't get out. I'm a very hard nosed Turkey hunter and I will move to set up on a Tom. That's what worries my wife. On one property I hunt it is steep and in places pretty dense forest and absolutely no cell reception. But I like the ideas you guys are sharing with me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you are steep, remember it takes sat coverage to make a SPOT work, and even an EPIRB. SPOT could take hours and hours to get enough coverage to work. Just an FYI.

Folks often buy but don't read or understand. And then get pissed when they need it now and it ain't working.

Like folks that buy a GPS and don't have a clue on maps and compass and they get into timber or steep canyons or bad fog and rain and such that blanks out Sat reception.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happy Birthday. What you need is an aspiring young hunter to mentor and/or a SPOT.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (160user, 260Remguy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,518
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.