Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
B. Cant say they were flying either, most were at a trot or walking at close ranges.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way over 50% were moving, some flat out. Like Miles and NoKnees, I grew up hunting deer in drives or with hounds. A standing shot was a luxury you very seldom enjoyed. Learned to lead game a LOT. One of my best blacktail was at full throttle about 150 yards away. I put the crosshairs on his nose and hit him just in front of his tail TWICE. Not my best shooting...
When hunting brush, I learned to shoot the deer in the air. Why? Because they can't changed direction once they leave the ground and are on a predictable arc. Just like shooting quail.
Since I hunt on stands now and usually by myself most are standing these days.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Way over 50% were moving, some flat out. Like Miles and NoKnees, I grew up hunting deer in drives or with hounds. A standing shot was a luxury you very seldom enjoyed. Learned to lead game a LOT. One of my best blacktail was at full throttle about 150 yards away. I put the crosshairs on his nose and hit him just in front of his tail TWICE. Not my best shooting...
When hunting brush, I learned to shoot the deer in the air. Why? Because they can't changed direction once they leave the ground and are on a predictable arc. Just like shooting quail.
Since I hunt on stands now and usually by myself most are standing these days.

"When hunting brush, I learned to shoot the deer in the air. Why? Because they can't changed direction once they leave the ground and are on a predictable arc."

The above is correct. ie: don't shoot when their front feet hit the ground.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
About 50%

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
B. for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And 50% of the deer I've killed in the past few years have been shot using my wrong hand/shoulder.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
D. Grew up pushing deer out of tree-rows, cattails, CRP, and buckbrush. Have and still do shoot quite a few coyotes on the run.

It's made me expediant, sometimes to a fault. If I don't "think" about slowing down and taking my time on an unaware stationary animal, I sometimes place the bullet poorly or just outright miss.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a pretty broad question. "Moving" can be anything from a step at a time while feeding to a flat out run. If we're talking shots with a rifle, I would be a B minus (less than 15%) and that would only be on a feeding or slow moving animal where I have a clear field of view and appropriate distance.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by horse1
D. Grew up pushing deer out of tree-rows, cattails, CRP, and buckbrush. Have and still do shoot quite a few coyotes on the run.

It's made me expediant, sometimes to a fault. If I don't "think" about slowing down and taking my time on an unaware stationary animal, I sometimes place the bullet poorly or just outright miss.

That sounds familiar. I also find I have to slow myself down at times.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Over 75%. Very difficult to sneak up on a bedded, 4 yr. old class buck. E

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you hunt here in va. where they run dogs you will have to learn to hit a moving target.

J
JLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If taking bow kills out of the question, definitely close to 50%.

Have predominantly hunted wooded terrain most of life, and most times you have to pick a hole...rarely do they stop in that hole.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you count a slow walk as they feed as "moving" then pretty close to all of them....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When guiding in Alaska all your shots are at fleeing game. It's kinda interesting to watch a moose or brown bear go ass over teakettle with a well placed shot from a big bore!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The older Blacktail bucks hold tight until you step on them, so it's almost always a running shot, the way I hunt. Rarely will they be up walking around during daylight hours, so you flush 'em. Practice on jackrabbits is the best thing to prepare. 75%'ish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I only shoot if I"m 110% sure. I don't have a way to practice running shots with a rifle so I don't.

Walking is about as fancy as I'm going to get, and to be honest, I don't recall any shot at any moving deer.

Pigs on the ohter hand, after the first shot I"m trying to ding as many as possible since they are pests... But just from seeing misplaced shots on them, I won't try it on deer or other such things.

And its just the way I roll. Anyone can do whatever they want.

OTOH off side shots, wrong sided IE left for me, no big deal. PUt it up and bang.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
At risk of wearing thin the queries, here's another…

What percentage of shots do you estimate you've taken at moving (big game) animals?

a. - 0% ; never

b. - 0<25%

c. - 25<50%

d. - 50<75%

(Moving can be anything from a very casual walk to a head-down, full on dash.) Feel free to anecdote-ize as much as you wish. smile

Deer & Moose; never at more than a comfortable walk !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

a. - 0% ; never

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
B.
A walk or slow trot at close range is okay for me. At longer range for me they need to be stationary. I haven't shot at any game animals with a rifle or handgun on a flat out run-I just don't have the confidence I need to feel comfortable but don't fault those who practice this and do feel comfortable.
I do most of my whitetail hunting with a handgun due to my state's ridiculous regulations and because of this I am probably even more conservative. Last year I busted a very nice buck out at about 20 yards quartering away and couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More than A. but less than B.

Most animals are usually walking, but will usually stop. I have shot deer that were walking, but it is rarely done with the preference on a "stopped" animal. The few that have been shot walking were at close range (30-50 yards).

When I was starting out hunting medium game, I made the mistake of attempting to shoot at running game and quickly gave up on it for safety and ethical reasons.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,818
Posts18,477,702
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.