But they're right, it isn't enough.

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Like Jimmy Buffet says, " I've made enough money to buy Miami, but I pissed it away too fast".....

so no, I'm not on track.

Thanks for the reminder my Friend,

Great song......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A million Ain't enough for what?

My grandma just died at age 80. She had a $350/month pension and drew $1400 combined SS/month.

We built her a new house the year she retired and she bought her a new car. Spent $100k cash combined.

She had Medicaid and a part b supplement. She had cancer twice, a broken hip, and a 21 day stay in a rehab facility.

About every other month she'd call me and have me put $1000 over in her saving's account until the month before she died.

Exactly what is it a million bucks ain't enough to do when you retire? We are assuming you will own your home and a decent vehicle, but by the time I'm 67, exactly what will I need to do that a million in cash won't cover? For that matter the interest from a million will probably cover it, at least if you live in East TN...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A million dollars in TN is mucho different than a million dollars in a West Coast state....

Eat moose, burn spruce
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Particularly if one plans to never step out of TN.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in our situation I don't want to be a millionaire

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 03/09/15.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where do you get all this 'disability' they are talking abpout. My son is a paraplegic from an offroad bike acident and he has been tring to get disability but first has to get social security problems cleared up as that's where his disability has to come from. Had a lot of good investments once but when the tech bubble burst they all went away. If you have a 401K account you have to start taking a distribution which goes up each year and thay tax you on part of your Social Security income, so how do you perform all this magic in a safe sure way. I tried buying preferred stock as I felt it was reasonably secure but made the mistake in buying GM preferred which our good inventive president saw fit to give to the Auto Workers Union. So when you get this magic all worked out please keep it a secret as I can't take any more good advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Particularly if one plans to never step out of TN.
Exactly! I don't want to have to sit at home and while the hours if I don't want to.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by zimhunter
Where do you get all this 'disability' they are talking abpout. My son is a paraplegic from an offroad bike acident and he has been tring to get disability but first has to get social security problems cleared up as that's where his disability has to come from. Had a lot of good investments once but when the tech bubble burst they all went away. If you have a 401K account you have to start taking a distribution which goes up each year and thay tax you on part of your Social Security income, so how do you perform all this magic in a safe sure way. I tried buying preferred stock as I felt it was reasonably secure but made the mistake in buying GM preferred which our good inventive president saw fit to give to the Auto Workers Union. So when you get this magic all worked out please keep it a secret as I can't take any more good advice.

Get an Attorney that specializes in Disability Claims. Federal law limits how much he/she can make on the deal and no costs to you or your Son. If his injury goes back a long ways you could be talking a lot of $ in lump sum before the payments kick in.

Lawyer up.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
A million Ain't enough for what?

My grandma just died at age 80. She had a $350/month pension and drew $1400 combined SS/month.

We built her a new house the year she retired and she bought her a new car. Spent $100k cash combined.

She had Medicaid and a part b supplement. She had cancer twice, a broken hip, and a 21 day stay in a rehab facility.

About every other month she'd call me and have me put $1000 over in her saving's account until the month before she died.

Exactly what is it a million bucks ain't enough to do when you retire? We are assuming you will own your home and a decent vehicle, but by the time I'm 67, exactly what will I need to do that a million in cash won't cover? For that matter the interest from a million will probably cover it, at least if you live in East TN...

$1000 month won't even cover my property tax and utilities. Food, gas, car insurance, easily another $1000 month. I doubt whatever shape our medical system will be in 20 years will have me 100% covered. I'm also sure those monthly expenses will be much higher in 20 years

I'm not aware of any investment funds with 5% annual dividends, some pay out at 3%, or $2500 a month. I could that combined with SS (assuming it's still there) would get a couple by, but it would be just getting by.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang what are property taxes like up there?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by eh76

Alaska is beautiful but not that [bleep] beautiful to pay 1k in property taxes GEESH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody once said it's expensive because it's worth it. View from the back of the house.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd say it's worth it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Alaska is beautiful but not that [bleep] beautiful to pay 1k in property taxes GEESH

That is one man's opinion.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

on a 35-40K piece of land I pay $564 per year

our house around 250-280K a little over 4K per year.

piece of property I own outside maybe worth 150-250K, $106 per year.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

And, how much is your oil royalty check each year? Put things in perspective for them that don't comprehend.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I am going to be a milliare someday if I can keep working for 10 yrs or so. By then A million won't be enough to retire. After todays dow Jones pounding it will be a bit longer though... My health, kids living for Christ , and a job I enjoy without it killing my body is worth more than a million bucks though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Randy ouch on the house property tax. Mine as the same approx value and the taxes are about a grand per year. My view even from where I live isn't bad just not as much water wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Randy ouch on the house property tax. Mine as the same approx value and the taxes are about a grand per year. My view even from where I live isn't bad just not as much water wink

Does your state pay you to be there, too?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager

Does your state pay you to be there, too?

Nope I live here by choice wink you Easterner laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,156
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.