Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yeah, they will eat small birds or other small animals to get needed...Calcium? I've seen small birds pecking around bullet woulds of recently shot deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the comments are priceless.
especially the one - "Aaaaaah! Nature is terrible. The more I know about it, the more terrible it is."

LOL welcome to the real word lady!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Yeah, they will eat small birds or other small animals to get needed...Calcium? I've seen small birds pecking around bullet woulds of recently shot deer.

They are usually after protein. When I was in grad school at Texas A&M there was a lot of research being done on deer nutrition by the Wildlife Disease Unit at the vet school. They had a couple of pens full of deer on low-protein diets. The feed they used was pelleted and birds, primarily blackbirds and grackles, would fly into the pens and eat the leavings. Several of the deer learned to stalk and knock the birds down and then eat them.

Protein is often low or even clinically deficient in deer winter forage. Deer actually need carbohydrates for energy worse than they need protein at those times. But if they are starved for protein, they will opportunistically get it when and where they can.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cows will do similar "atrocities" wink if they need the protein...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They eat fish and feed on gut piles as well.

Fish Eating
Meat Eaters

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
They eat fish and feed on gut piles as well.

Fish Eating
Meat Eaters

I have heard stories about deer eating fish, an image that is hard to get out of my mind. Seems nothing in nature is a given, herbivores and insectivores all "wander" outside of their normal diet on occasion or as needed. That's just nature being itself. Still the idea of a buck with a fish in it's mouth...

Before you know it someone will be hyping "Fish Crush" if you're not using it you better hope your neighbors aren't.

Last edited by davidlea; 03/10/15.

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by davidlea

Before you know it someone will be hyping "Fish Crush" if you're not using it you better hope your neighbors aren't.

laugh

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Birds eat lots of deer. They're just fighting back!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've got a couple hawks that have been working a deer over for a week or so.
They look like winged footballs they are so fat

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of my sisters-in-law used to have a rabbit that would eat all the ham and bologna it could get.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A Yukon, Canada study showed the number one predator on snowshoe hares under the age of 2 weeks was.....the red squirrel. I've seen them feeding on grouse and small mammal carcasses.

I got downgraded a grade in Ornithology class in college by the prof for insisting I'd seen ravens actively hunting voles or frogs in my brothers overgrown homestead fields outside Fairbanks. The Dyke bitch insisted they were only scavengers.

Probably didn't help that I sat in the front row by choice and occasionally fell asleep. A night job will do that... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I witnessed a pine squirrel chowing down on a dead robin. held it in his hands like a corn cob.

On a side note, a bird cud doesn't sound too appealing.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
las, I was sitting squirrel hunting in the fall and thousands of black birds set down in the woods taking a migration break. There was one on a limb above me with a small frog in its beak. They really tore that place up. Bet that place was pretty bug free after they left. I have seen blue jays pull small birds out of nests too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (222Sako, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.