Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So how do you use it.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...for what, the scope rings ? Trying to stop a scope from slipping ?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, for rings. just seemed like a good ifea.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. Buehler did it from day one. I've used a spray on type adhesive from 3M that is thinner, just to make the insides of the rings tacky. Probably a waste of time with good rings though.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've always used some rubber eraser on rings before tightening them. I cleaned the "stuff" from the Buehlers on my 338. Maybe I need to revisit them.

Last edited by whitedogone; 03/06/15.

- Henry Ford
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just get the rubber cement out, put a good coating on both bottom and top halves of the rings, then set them aside for at least 1/2 hour to get tacky.

Then mount everything else up as usual, and clean up whatever squeezes out. Leave it sit for a couple of days, then head to the range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I just get the rubber cement out, put a good coating on both bottom and top halves of the rings, then set them aside for at least 1/2 hour to get tacky.

Then mount everything else up as usual, and clean up whatever squeezes out. Leave it sit for a couple of days, then head to the range.

Same thing here, started about 5 years ago or so...haven't lapped a set of rings since either!

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did the same with clear silicone

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used rubber cement for probably 15 years. I never saw or heard of anyone doing it, just thought it should work.

Coat top and bottom of rings, put in scope immediately, tighten. Allow what has squeezed out to harden over 45 minutes and remove.

Hey presto. You'll never have a scope move.

Combined with a lapped ring, you'll never have a buggered scope tube either.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It has been mentioned before, but an alternative is to use double sticky sided cellophane in both halves of the rings. Holds the scope very well and the cellophane is protection for the scope tube. My rings have aligned well and the cellophane was all I needed - no lapping required.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by whitedogone
So how do you use it.

Once they rip, it's best to get rid of them; trying to repair them is difficult at best and using cement would have to make them awfully uncomfortable for foth parties.

This of course demands retelling of the story about the Scottish soldier who entered a drug store, placed a torn condom on the counter and asked, "Can it be repaired?" When informed that this was not possible, he then responded, "Well, then, speaking on behalf of the regiment, we'll invest in a new one."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the most effective and easy to use "rubber cements" for scope rings is Permatex Form-A-Gasket, for sealing automotive and other gaskets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the most effective and easy to use "rubber cements" for scope rings is Permatex Form-A-Gasket, for sealing automotive and other gaskets.

Only use the #2 or #3, but not the #1, I assume?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. I have usually used the No. 2.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Gorilla glue

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Good stuff, works great.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your rings fit, you don't need anything else at all

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If your scope is slipping it's time to get different rings. Rubber cement gets harder in cold weather and probably changes it's dimensions ever so slightly, why put something that can move against a precise instrument?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I do use Permatex, it's not because a scope is slipping.

As I pointed out earlier, quite often scopes slip because the rings have been over-lapped. (Apparently a lot of people think if a little lapping is good, a lot is better.) Also, not all scope tubes are exactly 1" or 30mm, and you might be surprised by the ones that aren't.

However, if rings are off-alignment enough so that many people would consider lapping, even after corrections to the bases, I usually prefer to use Permatex. It not only avoids the problem of possibly loose rings, but it's easier than lapping, in fact even easier than using Burris Signature inserts, and can be used with any rings. And since Permatex is designed for both heat and cold (most engines are subject to both), a layer between scope and rings ain't likely to come loose just because I went elk hunting some chilly November morning.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
MD,

After applying the Permatex to the rings, do you let it dry first before mounting your scope or put the scope in immediately?

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.