Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys, the idea here is to have RGK's friend (Justin Mcmillan) do the refinish job on the stock, since he does some damn fine work. I appreciate all the comments. Thanks...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Proceed and use Chem-Pak Pro Custom oil. Knock it to satin with rottenstone. Trust me on this.

http://item.brownells.com/brands/ch...unstock-finish-pro-custom-oil-finish.htm

That looks like good stuff!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
The old Winchester finish never was anything to brag on. Used moderately hard in wet and it came off easily and the wood would turn white until it dried. A good oil/urethane combo with a little red tint will duplicate the original almost perfectly along with giving protection and relatively easy touch up when needed.

This one hasn't been done yet and essentially bare wood is showing itself.

[Linked Image]

This one has. Which way is better for the long term care and preservation of what is no longer made?

[Linked Image]

Love the pics!! I agree with you 100% on preserving what is no longer made.

Eric

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks guys, the idea here is to have RGK's friend (Justin Mcmillan) do the refinish job on the stock, since he does some damn fine work. I appreciate all the comments. Thanks...

BSA, now you're talkin'.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EricM
Originally Posted by EdM
Proceed and use Chem-Pak Pro Custom oil. Knock it to satin with rottenstone. Trust me on this.

http://item.brownells.com/brands/ch...unstock-finish-pro-custom-oil-finish.htm

That looks like good stuff!

It is. Very easy to apply as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No white line spacers!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
re-finish it. List how/who did it and the cost so we can all be jealous and/or copy you. smile

That one with the red recoil pad looks perfect.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sweet, sounds like a cool project..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Scotty, I think you are going to like this one. I know you have a profound appreciation for the Alaskans, just as I do. EricM is pretty excited to get this one too. I'm wondering if he's fired too many 338's??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Scotty, I think you are going to like this one. I know you have a profound appreciation for the Alaskans, just as I do. EricM is pretty excited to get this one too. I'm wondering if he's fired too many 338's??

This will be my first 338. I haven't fired a 338 before but have shot 375s. I'm really excited to add this to my collection of pre-64's! cool

Once the refinish work is complete we'll have to discuss optics. lol.

Cheers,
Eric

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see no reason to do anything to this gun except use it to hunt large animals. Having had 3" Model 12 once I can state that more modern vented pad is superior to old Winchester type or it's modern reproduction.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for you input slavek. The problem with this stock is the wood finish is pretty thin in spots and when I hunted it in a lot of rain last elk season, some of the finish flaked off and I'm trying to avoid damaging the wood underneath. I lightly sanded the spots and feathered in some tru oil so the wood wasn't exposed. The way we are seeing it is the stock has been glass bedded so the collector value on the stock is slim so it makes a great candidate for refinishing with a newer modern finish that will look great as well as protect the wood from the elements. If you've seen RGK's stock that was recently refinished by his friend Justin Mcmillan, you will understand another reason we are wanting to have it refinished..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM

This will be my first 338. I haven't fired a 338 before but have shot 375s. I'm really excited to add this to my collection of pre-64's! cool

Once the refinish work is complete we'll have to discuss optics. lol.

Cheers,
Eric

I think a 3-10 Swarovski would be the chit on this rifle!!!! What kind of mounts/rings are you going to run? I always like the look of the Leupold DD's on these pre 64's.. Conetrol's and S&K's are always an option too. wink

As far as shooting this rifle, you are going to think you are shooting your 30-06 std wt, but with a little bit more kick... laugh . You'll love it, trust me...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, a 3-10 Swaro with DDs would be nice, for sure! I'd like at least 3.5" of ER, a nice wide FOV if I can get it, with decent mag. A fixed 6 might be cool as well. I'm looking forward to firing that first shot! smile

I'll be in touch soon... Off to Tanzania!! grin

Eric

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I run Talley QD's for the most part nowadays. Very nice rings and mount up pretty clean as well. Strong as all get out.

I know exactly what you are talking about the finish being thin, mine suffered in 2013 because of the amount of moisture I was hunting in. It made me really push to the McMillan. I rolled it all around in my head over and over. I was thinking on refinishing, but in the end, if I am carrying my 338, I want it to be dead reliable. I know wood can be ultra stable, but it always would worry me.

Can't wait to see the project. You'll love the 338 Eric. I have thought of getting rid of the rest and just running it for everything, but then I come to my senses.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, if you can find a deal on an older Swaro PV 2.5x10 30mm tube, I would take a look at one. I found one a couple of years ago and it is a brilliant scope that will take the punishment any 338 or hunter can dish out.

[Linked Image]

It's the only scope I own other than the FX3 6X Leupold that tracks like it is supposed to..

Saying that, a 4 or 6X Leupold might not be horrible either..

Semper Fi
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...The way we are seeing it is the stock has been glass bedded so the collector value on the stock is slim so it makes a great candidate for refinishing...

Though it won't affect your decision to refinish this stock, let me at least show you the slippery slope your above statement is based upon. smile

Let's say someone is selling a pre-'64 rifle in near mint condition...except that the near mint original stock had been professionally glass bedded. Let's say that makes the rifle worth "X" amount. Now let's say you decide to ALSO refinish the stock, because you found a couple tiny handling marks. YOU BLEW IT! smile You further devalued the rifle

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For someone like bsa who is more a user than a collector, when does preservation-and perhaps he just likes them better when they look good-take precedence over collector value and how much would a good refinish diminish value to another user?

Personally give me a good shooter that has had a first rate, close to original as possible refinish, and I would be willing to pay more rather than less.

In addition: BSA doesn't seem to have any problem selling his shooters-some obviously and stated worked on-at what he considers a fair price. Just a thunk.

Last edited by battue; 03/11/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post battue. I totally agree. I'll bet Eric would also agree. He uses the 1951 std wt. 30-06 I sold to him and he loves it. I'd much rather use this 338 Alaskan than the 95% condition one we were talking about yesterday! Even though the metal on this Alaskan is still pretty decent, it's more of a shooter as it is set up now. Throw it in a nice original Alaskan stock and bingo, you still have a very collectable/valuable rifle. Kind of a win win situation with a rifle like this...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You will not lose a penny on this refinish in that you have a rep for selling good shooters that look good. Put this one up after the refinish and it will be gone within a day at your asking price.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.