Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been using a Rockchucker II for a long time now. I don't see it ever going tits up. Even after I'm long gone..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you think breaking a press is common, mention that you like Swarovski scopes and every sort of breakdown with Swarovski shows up on the board. I have 8 presses and many more Swarovski scopes and no failures, but it seems that I have better luck than the average guy with their scopes. I haven't heard of as many problems with Simmons scopes...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beauties, now show us all your rifles with the old Zeiss Diavaris.... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
I'm still using my grandfathers old RCBS press. Not sure how old it is but I'm 51 and always remember him using that press! I can't imagine how anyone could break it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My first and only press is a Hornady Pacific 007. After many thousands of strokes I think I detect a tiny bit of looseness in the linkage. I don't think a normal human being could actually break any major parts on it though.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Something went haywire with my RCBS IV yesterday. I thought I broke or bent something. After a breakdown and cleaning, I realized that somehow the two big lock nuts at one of the pivot points got tighter. Not sure how, but I took them off, lubed the pivot, put them back on just snug and the press is like butter again.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Broken .. none I take care of my stuff, wore out IMO 2. 1 a 007 and a RC . I'mm calling wore out when the ram is up and there is noticable play in the ram. I load a lot, the last 10 years or so I've averaged about 10,000 rounds a a year and 3 barrels.

Last edited by ldholton; 03/13/15.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
So it would appear that no one has managed to take out four presses. From this, I conclude that no one is trying hard enough. My Lee 2001 press has managed to live 14 yrs past its tx date. But that's to be expected.

If most of us cannot break a press, I would also conclude that the individual I referred to must be full of it. smile But I already knew that.

Thanks.

The original RCBS presses were made for swagging bullets. It would take an incredible degree of stupidity to break one just reloading.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/13/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I destroyed a Dillon RL50B. my fault, they either rebuilt or replaced it for free, just had to pay to ship it back.

Clos

NRA Life Member

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It couldn't be your fault. Having read the Internets for close to 20 years (wow, it has been a long time!) reloaders are incapable of breaking any press. It's always the maker's fault.

If I'm lying, then Dillon, Lee, RCBS etc. would not ship parts or make free repairs.

It's all on the Internets for us to see!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I did bust a pin on my very first (LEE) press. Lee replaced it at no cost and told me what I did wrong. I still have two Lee's and one RCBS press.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I broke an old Herter's cast iron press when I dropped it on a concrete floor during a move. A corner broke off across a mounting screw hole. I still use it now and again for nostalgia reasons as it was my first press circa 1968.

As an aside, a lot of guys joked that the old Herter's press would make a good boat anchor. Well, one of my dad's buddies did in fact use one as such for his little dinghy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I broke an old Herter's cast iron press when I dropped it on a concrete floor during a move. A corner broke off across a mounting screw hole. I still use it now and again for nostalgia reasons as it was my first press circa 1968.

As an aside, a lot of guys joked that the old Herter's press would make a good boat anchor. Well, one of my dad's buddies did in fact use one as such for his little dinghy.

My Dad threatened to use his broke RCBS "A" for a boat anchor, but never followed thru. laugh

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well. I have broken a Lee press. I was forming 307 Winchester cases from 444 Marlin using a Redding form die and Imperial size wax.
I have formed many cases for the 307 and 356 Winchester using the Lee hand press with no difficulty. I don’t know why the press failed. I e-mailed Lee and they did not seem to be interested. I did not purshase a Lee press to replace it.
I have my father Pacific C press he purchased in the 1950’s and I have a Lyman Tru-Line Jr from the same era. These presses have been in continuous use.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Slim
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Only thing I ever broke was the threaded end of the handle on my Lyman Spartan, twice. Simply re threaded it and put it back to work. The second time I decided I was down on leverage and bought a Rockchucker, lube em and use em.-Muddy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have 5 presses on my bench 3 Forster CO-AX press since the early 80's and never broke anything on them, also two Ponsness warren Metallic II presses since the mid 80's without breaking anything

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None and I have owned most of them including Lee

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Necksizing 308 cases on my Lee challenger press, while pushing down with force at the top of the stroke, the wooden ball handle came off and I jammed the end of the metal rod into my forearm and about bashed my forehead on the top of the press. Those wooden balls are just barely glued on, a little gorilla glue and its been good, but a heads up for those of you using these presses...

Eat moose, burn spruce
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Most presses available in the U.S. over the last 50 years would be hard to wear out, much less break them.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a Rockchucker in the 80's. Used it a lot and I'm sure it will outlast me.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.