Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just bought or cherry picked 6 guns out of an Idaho collection, 4 or 5 were NIB or crate guns, I bought them to get and keep a 338 win mag that was ordered from factory with regular irons plus a redfield peep,I l also scored 120 rounds of the old Fail Safe 230 gr Black box Winchester ammo that had been sitting on the shelf 10 + years, I also bought 2 boxes of 338 win mag Rem core locks that was at local pawn shop, the top box was where the sun could come thru window, it had sat there so long that the top box was discolored, 22 /box! I figure I will use the core locks to zero the gun, Im thinking of putting a very nice old Doctor 6X scope on the gun, Im afraid of messing the wood up so Im going to put the gun in an Echolds edge? This is after consulting with Mr BSA... The gun has not been shot since Winchester shot it and stamped the WP on it... I will post photos as soon as I figure out how to get photos off the camera into computer and on to that pain in the azz photobucket!!! I went ahead and sold the almost new .375 H&H SG as I just could not see myself going to Africa IF Im going to feed cattle every day and I have an addiction that eats up all money that would finance the AK or Africa trip..... Ive tried that 12 point plan and Im on step 13, about the best I can do is come to this site and talk to you guys., I can give up ( pussy cats)all but one woman (61 helps that), I can give up whiskey, I can give up strong pain killers, I cannot whip Winston smokes and Winchester pre 64 model 70's and cattle.... I am hopeless!!!!! If any of you guys have cure please PM or Email at abrockcattlecogmail.com .... It all started with a 1935 model 67 that my GreatGrandfather talked about at the supper table and rode a model T to Pelham GA, Hand Trading Co and bought( 7 or 9 dollars and change). The gun taught me how to shoot! It is so worn out that you have to put thumb on bolt and push forward while pulling the trigger as the metal is worn off so much that the firing pin will not hit hard enough to set it off.... 10 Semi truck and trailers could not haul the hogs,steers, rattlesnakes,frogs, rats, hawks ( Grandmother raised Turkeys and chickens for neighbors, the hawks had to go!) any varmint ,coons ,squirrel both cat and fox, bobcats ,fox even mercy killing my 16 year old Bulldog after the 5th rattlesnake got him in the head and he was to old to over it( Grandmother Brock cooked him a hoecake of cornbread and crumbled it up in buttermink trying to save him)! The gun has 'Done it all) and started my Winchester journey and I do not know how to end it except be pushed off in the hole one day next to Dad and Granddad ! I must be doing a little better as Ive not cleaned the cosmoline off the crate gun, 300 H&H and with just the turn of 2 big thumb screws mounted a 24X Unertl Ultra Varmint and checked out Winchesters Quality Control from 1960 or 61, Ive not had it out of the stock BUT Im willing to bet anyone here the barrel is an early 50's cut rifled off the shelf to put the dog dam thing together in 60's. Very Best, If any of you fine Winchester folks have the 'CURE' PM or Email LMazzO WinchesterPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 03/14/15. Reason: spell, have 2.25 glasses on and need 3.0's
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
WinPoor we are in the same boat so to speak. I have failed the 12 step program so many times if I want to attend one it has to be from out of state. In addition to Pre64 M70's I have a strong lust for Parker shotguns esp small bore guns so increase the expense and custom rifles as you know. Throw in the odd Colt or vintage S&W 22 handgun. I'm still in mourning over the 375 but found a nice M70 in 300 Savage and a Purdey hammer gun.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr GSP, You just hang on and stay healthy, Im going to come up with something that will make you throw rocks at that .375! That is a promise my friend!!! very best WinPoor

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
winchesterpoor: For the Echols Legend, get the Standard fill or magnum fill for your 338; not the Edge fill.At least that's how I'd do it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have no worries in that dept at all. At 62 women aren't a concern just ask my wife smile I don't drink much enjoy a GOOD cigar occasionally hunt as often as I can work as little as possible and buy as many guns as I can. Someone will ask me How many guns do you have? Reply "More than I need but not as my as I want".

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
winchesterpoor: For the Echols Legend, get the Standard fill or magnum fill for your 338; not the Edge fill.At least that's how I'd do it.

Thanks Mr Bobin NH, I want to KNOW from you guys that already KNOW! I do not want to ding or crack this new stock! thanks the most as I want you Western or big bore guys advise!!!!
Now for another Question, WHO would you get to inlet and paint stock? I hear very good things out of Chad Dixion, Long Rifles Inc. My Gunsmith FFL is great but up to his eyeballs in alligators with work, he has 2 of my projects allready.... very best and thanks in advance. WinPoor

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would buy the STANDARD not magnum fill in any synthetic stock for the modest-kicking of the fabulous .338WM. I have seven rifles so chambered in synthetics and have had three others with NO issues except wanting MORE!

Magnum filled stocks are TOO heavy and a .338 that goes 10 lbs. is a club to pack in the mountains from experience.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SNAP yes. Standard fill....just threw magnum in there....point being I would not go Edge. Not so much a recoil issue for the shooter, but stock resonance/vibration etc.for best accuracy with the magnum case. Anything 300 magnum and up would get standard fill wink

winpoor I hear great things about Chad Dixon but never had work done by him.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Couldn't he find a used/cracked wood stock on eBay or even from someone here, then get that bedded/polyed/epoxied up ready to go as the hunting rig?

Just store the good stock in the background somewhere.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
SNAP yes. Standard fill....just threw magnum in there....point being I would not go Edge. Not so much a recoil issue for the shooter, but stock resonance/vibration etc.for best accuracy with the magnum case. Anything 300 magnum and up would get standard fill wink

winpoor I hear great things about Chad Dixon but never had work done by him.

I thought I was crazy when I felt that resonance (vibration) with my EW in the edge stock. I don't get that with my standard fill hunters compact pre 64 fwt 270 win and it balances perfectly. Definitely a win win situation !! Good advice Bob..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Couldn't he find a used/cracked wood stock on eBay or even from someone here, then get that bedded/polyed/epoxied up ready to go as the hunting rig?

Just store the good stock in the background somewhere.

I know you weren't asking me, but the beauty in going to a good synthetic stock is you loose weight over the factory wood stock 9 times out of 10. The synthetic stock will be much more impervious to the weather and also be stronger. If one were more of a traditionalist, he could search out a good used wood stock and turn it into a hunter with no problems. For those, I always like to pillar/glass bed them too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,518
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.