Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Can anyone let me know the proper way to use a snare to catch coyotes going under fences?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snares and fences are bad news. Aside from pelt damage(barb wire), you can't be sure which direction they will come from and once you hang a snare in a good crossing, it don't look quite as appealing as it did before.

If the coyotes are using a certain spot to cross all the time, follow their trails back and set in cover. Blind trail sets are deadly on coyotes with a 12" loop 12"'s off the ground. Don't try to force them through the loop too much, keep it suttle.

RO

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The fence is high tensile woven wire. I know which direction they are coming from as they are trying to get in. At times of the year they are bad at trying to dig under. I fill in the holes but I would like to get rid of some before they dig back through.
Thanks for you help.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on no fences. I had a coon pull a stake and I think his fur stuck on the fence. I had to cut the fence to get it free after I shot it. Find another option.

CB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there any chance that a domestic dog is going to cross through the fence?

What I'm getting at is this, a regular cam-loc snare is reasonalbly forgiving(on coyotes/dogs), providing there is nothing for the animal to get entangled in(Fences are great for entanglement). Once the critter is suspended by the snare, not necessarily by much, death comes shortly after; Great for coyotes, not so great for someones pet.

I would still suggest backing away from the fence crossings. I trap every fall through spring and have found a few trends regarding coyotes, they are super suspicious and seeing their buddy plugging a fence crossing in a snare would get the rest of the coyotes attention quickly. If it was me (and I do it every winter) I would set trails in cover where the coyotes are relaxed more and move at a quicker pace.

Footholds with drags would be another option for the fence crossings, so the coyote would not be sitting right at the hole for all others to see.

I will do my best to help you out with any other questions you have.

RO

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaser

From your posts it would appear that you are either the owner of the land the fence is on, or you in some way have been given permission to get rid of whatever animal is making those holes under the fence.

don't get me wrong, I am against indiscriminate snaring as much as anyone else, but I do believe that you can make very effective snare sets right at the fence, and I have caught many coyotes (brush wolves) and some foxes going right under the fence.

The proper way to set them up is not to attach the snare to the fence. Rather, use a proper stake and separate support wire to hang your snare in the hole that the animal is going through. you can stake in a kill pole within reach and hope that the animal will wrap himself up in the kill pole before tangling in the fence. However, if the animal does tangle in the fence there is no need to cut the fence. Instead, make sure you bring a cable cutters with you when you check your snares and if you have to cut the snare cable to remove the animal from the fence.

Good luck.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the posts. The coyotes are trying to get in to eat the newborn deer and goats my kids are raising.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 41 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,263
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.