-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only wear one in my left ear. Getting close to needing 2. I wore a Siemens for 5 years and got perfect service out of it with an average battery life of 28 days. Cost was $900. It was a behind the ear with a moulded earpiece and clear plastic tube which I had changed at least twice a year. I currently wear an Oticon behind the ear with an inside the ear speaker. The sound is pretty good but being deaf in one ear is confusing at best. Both my Siemens and Oticon were programmable and have volumne control. The Oticon also cost $800 and battery life is 6 1/2 days. I got both thru my ENT Dr's office. The first was fitted and programmed and maintained by an Audiologist. The current was fitted and programmed by a Phd in Audiology who seemed to be knowledgeable about them. Service in this office has been exemplary. I build up lots of wax and have me ears cleaned out every 6 weeks and hear much better when I do. Cannot seem to be able to do it myself. I cannot fault what I currently have and if they last as well as the Siemens I will be happy. These aids seem to be much less expensive than most acording to this thread.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
With the technology they have now, many won't fit you with only one aid unless your hearing is dang near perfect in one. They now talk to each other and give you a stereophonic effect. Now days, $900 will buy you a Walker game ear but that is about it. The ones I ordered will have telecoils, bluetooth and channels that adapt to certain environments. If you go to a church or theatre that is 'coiled' (most in Phx are) the sound is xmitted directly to your hearing aid and not just over the air that everyone else hears.

You can synch your phone to it to make calls easier, you can turn up the TV for yourself but not so that everyone else has to listen to it loud.

The gal that did my last test was also a Au. D. but must have lived a sheltered life. When the subject of shooting a gun came up, she said that I should take them out. I told her that I wanted to wear them when hunting. She said that was fine but to take them out before I shoot. I told her that the last bear I shot was surprised at 15 feet and she freaked out-" Why would you shoot a bear" she asked! Then it drifted to prairie dogs. She had never even heard of a prairie dog. She looked them up online while we talked. She thought they were squirrels and I couldn't convince her otherwise. Amazing how you can have that much schooling and still be so streets dumb!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am in the process of trying to buy hearing aids from Costco. After two visits and two hearing tests I was told that Phonak's
would be best. However, when I did the in-store "can you hear me now" trial run with my wife I kept getting a high pitched squeal ..
much like feedback from a microphone.

The audiologist told me that my hearing loss in those frequencies was severe and therefore
the associated frequencies had to be "amped" up. She said I
would get used to it.. I said that a dead man would be bothered by that squeal.

Thankfully, another employee at the hearing aid counter told me
the volume was too high.. She adjusted the volume and after another trial run around the store .. no squeal..

I am scheduled for a third visit, with another, more
experienced audiologist.. I realize I could buy them and
return them within 90 days.. BUT.. I want to be as sure as I
can before I plop down $2,800..

Hope this helps others trying to find their way thru the
process of buying hearing aids..

Al

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.