Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For the past 4 to 5 years i have been dealing with cataracts and finally got my dominate eye repaired on Monday. I'm still healing but i got to tell you, what a difference. The color white is now white, not tan and that cloud that blocks the vision is all gone. They corrected my astigmatism, and used a laser procedure to make the incision and remove the cataract.

This morning I went down to look through one my rifle scopes with a little bit of hesitation. Wow, what a difference. This surgery has turned my Weaver Super Slam Tactical into a Swarovski.

Moral of the story, get your eyes checked once a year and don't wait as long as i did to get them corrected.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good for you! I have one in my dominant eye, that will need to be corrected before to long.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Good for you! I have one in my dominant eye, that will need to be corrected before to long.

+1 I have both eyes affected but they have not grown at all in 5 years per my Eye Dr

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Best money I ever spent. The world became 2 f-stops brighter, and my distance vision is perfect.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I visited the doctor that perform my wife's Cataract surgery and was told I had the very early stages but he would not expect to operate on them for 3 to 4 more years and my vision still seems excellent (expect for reading).

Last edited by old_willys; 03/13/15.

Ted
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had mine done last August and it's great. The close stuff requires cheaters so I bought a dozen cheapies and leave em all over the house.

I have a couple scopes that I blamed fuzzines on my eyes but now I see that they don't focus......may cost me a bunch as I upgrade scopes to match my eyes.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[quote=Oldelkhunter
+1 I have both eyes affected but they have not grown at all in 5 years per my Eye Dr [/quote]

+2 My eye doc sez "everybody over 50 has cataracts, whether they know it or not"

That surgery is the easiest ever. Made a Wonderful difference. But be sure you get the best eye surgeon in your area.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
[quote=Oldelkhunter
+1 I have both eyes affected but they have not grown at all in 5 years per my Eye Dr

+2 My eye doc sez "everybody over 50 has cataracts, whether they know it or not"

That surgery is the easiest ever. Made a Wonderful difference. But be sure you get the best eye surgeon in your area.

NB [/quote]

I definitely will not use the guy that diagnosed the condition, have a pretty good surgeon figured out when the time comes. I had 20/10 vision before I started wearing glasses , if I got anywhere near that back I would be beyond thrilled.

TBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's day 6 after having the first eye done and it just keeps getting better and better. Having the other eye done on the 23rd.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife just had it done in January. She got the mono vision where one eye is corrected for distance and the other for close up. She's still adjusting to that but if she had to do it again would get both eyes corrected for distance and get glasses for close up.

The only downside to the procedure is that she's finally getting to see what I really look like. frown

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations on your good result.

I know someone who had cataracts removed from both eyes and their vision is much better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have my consultation appointment in a couple of weeks. My left eye (non dominant) would require 3 diopters correction to get it close to 20/20 so my new optometrist recommended surgery for the left eye. I also have a smaller cataract in my dominant eye that she recommended I have removed as well, so that both eyes will have similar vision. If it corrects my vision to even 20/40 uncorrected, I will be amazed and thrilled. (20-400 now, in my "good eye", was afraid to ask what it currently is in the bad one.) Don't like the idea of going under the knife, but was told this is one of the most commonly performed procedures and that complications are rare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sadly I had both of my eyes done over 20 years ago. Quick easy surgery,but I didn't have the miraculous results everyone on here seems to have had. I no longer experienced the halos around lights at night and could see better in low light but can't remember any other miracles. Even my eyeglass prescriptions remained the same. Such is the improvements they have made in the surgery I suppose. I am currently experiencing what the Dr described as a vitreous hemmorhage in my right eye. He said the blood seemed to be seeping from the original incision made to replace the first cataract implant. No other damage so far. I take Warfarin so he said it will take time to absorb the 'cobwebs'. Such is getting old I suppose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart

The only downside to the procedure is that she's finally getting to see what I really look like. frown

laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those who have had the surgery, does it affect your use of a scope? Is the use of iron sights improved? I was wondering about the effect on your ability to focus on all three objects at once: rear sight, front sight and target. Anyone?

TBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So far its been about 10 days since i had mine. I checked my scopes and had to turn the ocular back in on them to get the cross hairs clear. Overall the image sharpness is 1000% better. I will be shooting this season without corrective lenses, just regular shooting glasses. Based on how my vision is now irons sights look very doable but my need a small correction since my implants are regulated for distance.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Had one in my left eye, which is now 20/20...for distance at least..

my right eye is 20/40 naturally... but will just be a matter of time before I need to get it done in my right eye....the dominant one...

I have noticed that for distance my left eye now dominates.. but for reading, my right eye still takes over the job...

mine was done in December of last year...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 24 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.