Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are nice hc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any exposure data for the moon shot?

1Minute
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
First off The camera must be on an incredibly stable paltform.(tripod) If you are using the 150-600 lens, and taking into account the phase of the moon (the larger the moon in the sky the more light.) I would set the camera at f:5.6 at 125th of a second. You would be surprised at how much light the moons gives off. since we are working with digital. I would the then make my adjustments according to the results Remember it similar to a light bulb against a black background.

Thanks for your support
CameralandMark
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The photos are good but it looks like you need a tad high ISO and faster shutter speed.... or a steadier hand.
I think you are shooting the D800 and remember with that many MP's every little thing is magnified.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The Hawk images are at ISO 3200 with shutter speeds of 8000 and 4000. Cant get much higher than that. The combo could perhaps use micro focus adjustments or just smoother panning on shooters part. The second image definitely looks like camera shake to me.

Last edited by Fishkilla; 03/11/15.

Ahh, nice marmot
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was pure luck that I could jump out of my rig and get on it. The wind was blowing enough to make being steady a joke. [Linked Image]
Less wind made for better results.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Any exposure data for the moon shot?

f8 1/400 600mm.....IIRC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fishkilla,

I had no idea what the iso was...I've shot a bunch as 6400 though... (Micro adjustment) ie: Nikon Fine Tune is a necessity but with a zoom it's not as "prefect" as with a prime. You'll need to pick a "more used" happy medium zoom setting and use it for the fine tune. Every time you change the zoom the "fine tune" can be a bit "un-tuned"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Please offer any useful feedback. I am in the learning curve for sure and the transition to nikon is not as seamless as I had hoped.

The hawk pics were on a very windy (25ish mph) day. The biplane was calm.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High Country:
Given auto focus, the dimensions of the lens in hand, and the motion of ones subjects, the birds came out fine. Absolutely nailed and ready for National Geographic? No, but with all those aspects working against you, one's simply not going to score a publication quality image in most instances.

With birds in flight one simply has no time to compose, double check focus, evaluate exposures, etc. Just hit that shutter as many times as possible and fall back on the old premise that one might get one really good shot out of 50 or so attempts.

Looks like you're getting at it, and most of the fun is just getting out there. One or two wall hangers per trip is still a pretty good score. Good luck and keep us up on you doings.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/12/15.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. You know how it is though.....we don't build custom rifles to shoot moa and wrapping 5 g's up in gear means we aspire to do well....some day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good gear gives one a better chance of doing well, but a hawk in flight is not a still life.

One of my best images ever came from a point n shoot Cool Pics. Absolutely nailed the exposure and focus on a caribou at about 100yds. Had the animal been petrified in place, I probably would not be able to replicate the shot. Sometimes luck comes in and at other times sh-t happens.

Good luck,

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The images look good, it is like no other transition though, it takes practice. You will learn dynamic range differences, focusing differences, etc. It is like driving a new car, it all falls into place. You have a great setup, just keep shooting it.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
considering this lens.

I've the HGX Promaster Digital UV filters on my other lenses.

What UV filter ya'll suggest for this one?

Thanx in advance

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Practice and practice... it'll get there... you'll start to have "ah ha" moments....

UV has no effect on digital. The UV filter is basically protection.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
geedubya,
It takes a 95mm filter. Not a lot of folks may stock it. I would call Mark up at Camera Land and see what they have or can get. Their pricing on filters has always been the best I have found.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Fishkilla,

I had no idea what the iso was...I've shot a bunch as 6400 though... (Micro adjustment) ie: Nikon Fine Tune is a necessity but with a zoom it's not as "prefect" as with a prime. You'll need to pick a "more used" happy medium zoom setting and use it for the fine tune. Every time you change the zoom the "fine tune" can be a bit "un-tuned"

Download an EXIF viewer and you can look at the stats. Yeah, I know you can shoot at 6400, my point was with a shutter speed of 8000 and 4000 you might look elsewhere for improvement, think about how often you are shooting at such high shutter speeds, I can say almost never. I also understand MFA or Fine Tune on zoom and primes. That was my advice if the OP was looking to improve upon these images.

Ahh, nice marmot
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
High Country, that plane shot is nice and at 1/250 proves the lens is capable of producing sharp images without micro adjusting focus or fine tuning focus. It just goes to show how many little factors come into play, nice shooting.

Ahh, nice marmot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GWB, I do not know if you have considered a CPL for your upcoming Tamron 150-600. I just received a Marumi Super DHG from 2filter. The Marumi is highly rated and prices from 2filter are good. The 95mm are spendy anywhere. Not many various makers of 95mm CPL available.
http://www.2filter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/Marumi_95mm_Super_DHG_Circular_Polarizer.html

reviews of CPLs:
http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?art=115&roz=24

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.