Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
As mentioned in another post, I've got a 2011 Camry with the base 4 cylinder. It just goes down the road. It's not underpowered.

The best thing I can say about my Camry is,..I don't really think that much about it. It just does what it's supposed to do.

Camry's have a long standing reputation for doing what they're supposed to do for a long, long time.

Yep, all true.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by speedsixman
I just had a rental Camry for 3 weeks while my vehicle was in the shop for major work.
I hated that thing !

Every time I opened the trunk, a big gob of snow from the trunk lid or from the top rear of the car would slide down into the trunk.

Without the dash camera, there is zero visibility over the rear seat to back into a driveway or anywhere else.

I felt like I was sitting down into a foxhole every time I got in or out of the car.

The door handle to close the drivers door was a major stretch that required leaning out of the vehicle to reach.

The only positives that come to mind is the backup camera, and that it would run like a scared rabbit.

I am so relieved to be back in my old style 2001 Cherokee that I wouldn't trade it even up for a new Camry.

Maybe you can tell I'm a retro-vehicle kind of guy. If I were you, I'd keep driving the Dakota.

Myron

Sorry, but his image came to mind while reading this:

[Linked Image]

I know what your saying about the car though. I much prefer sitting up higher and hate squatting down to get into any car. I'm 5'8" and never had any issues seeing out of or reaching anything in the camry though.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My LAST CAR was 50 years ago and I damn sure wouldn't buy a Jap car!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Made in the USA. Yeah, I guess a Mexican made car is much better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive had Tauruses and camrys ,would much rather have a camry

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Good for you! You tell 'em I stutter!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First of all, the Camry is MORE car than the Taurus...

I thought I wanted a V6 Camry but all the V6s were so loaded with equipment that they were as expensive as the base model Avalon I bought. We live in North Texas but go to the mountains about twice a year. I wanted the extra horsepower for higher altitude. I admit I'm a sucker for performance but I feel like I got both economy and performance. I'm getting about 31 mpg on the highway.

The extra trunk room and rear seat legroom is nice, too.

Up to about 31,000 miles now and so far, so good.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

My 2013 Avalon was designed in California and Michigan, built in Kentucky and has a higher U.S. content than the Taurus or the Chevy Impala I almost bought.

So tell me...how do you buy American?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We had an '04 Camry, when it had about 10K miles a Dodge 1 ton hit us just behind the driver's door and totalled it. Grandson & I were OK, wife was shaken up a bit and missed some work, but not too bad considering how bad the car was torn up.

So we bought an 'O5 because we'd seen how good the cars were. It has about 190K miles on it now and I'd happily drive it to Alaska tomorrow. I'm pushing 62 and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned - most expensive thing we've replaced has been the struts.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bearbacker

My 2013 Avalon was designed in California and Michigan, built in Kentucky and has a higher U.S. content than the Taurus or the Chevy Impala I almost bought.

So tell me...how do you buy American?

It falls on deaf ears. The only thing the 3 "US" makers can claim is supporting more union jobs. As far as supporting more US jobs though, they'd have a pretty tough claim against the "Jap" makers.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I got my wife an Avalon back in 2006. The room inside and mileage were fantastic. That bugger also did 31-34 on the highway. Can't imagine the 6 cyl Camry would do worse. We sold it for top dollar a few years ago. Put it on the end of the driveway and the neighbor a cross the street bought it the same afternoon!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Study history Dude! Maybe it'll hit you in the face!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 2014.5 SE Sport which has the 4banger. It isn't the fastest car around but it goes just fine. Cruising at 70mph is a joke, will do it so easily and gets a legit 37mpg. At 80 is very comfortable and usually about 32-33mpg. Last weekend with good gas, not e10, and a tailwind I got 36mpg coming back from Budapest. At 90 it does just fine too and gets around 29-30mpg. At 110 mileage drops to around 22mpg. Governed at 112, but in the states not an issue. Driving on the Autobahn here I haven't had any issues and don't need more motor, though it would be nice now and then. My regular commuting gets me 26mpg which has a lot of stop and go and faster speeds when it does open up.

Is smooth, quiet, comfy, gets good mileage, and is reliable. Having driven it for a year now I haven't felt that I needed anything more - except after test driving an M3 for about 40 minutes two days ago. Damn... Got on the 'bahn and got to a comfy speed, without looking at the speed. Then saw I was cruising at 100 like it was nothing. But that's over twice the $$$

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My wife has had 3, a couple of 4 cylinders and one six. Great cars, none of the three needed any repairs other than brakes and oil changes (besides the deer my wife hit with one). She took them all out to 150K, she just changed over to a Honda CR-V because we get a bunch of snow here. My 84 year old father is driving the last one. My daughter just gave her 2003 Highlander which was my wife's to her friends mother and it had a little over 200K on it and still going strong. I did have to replace the cat converter on that one. My 20008 Tundra just hit 162K and is going strong, only drawback is it never saw a gas station it didn't like. Can't beat a Toyota.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Study history Dude! Maybe it'll hit you in the face!!

It's be funny except I know you're serious. Studying seems to have escaped you.

One can only assume you're referencing a war that ended 70 yrs ago and it somehow having anything to do whatsoever with cars being made today. Please tell me of another car being made that is more "American" than the current Camry.

And also, thanks for adding absolutely nothing of any value to this thread. I'm sure the person wanting advise on a particular car appreciates the wealth of knowledge and experience in your posts.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I purchased a new 2013 Camry Hybrid about 18 months ago. I believe Toyota started making Camry Hybrids in 2007 after several years of Prius model production.

I've driven my hybrid about 28,000 miles so far without any problems. It has a 2.5 Atkinson-cycle engine and CVT transmission. Toyota uses planetary gears instead of belts in their CVT transmissions.

There are no belts in the hybrid engine. The a/c, power steering and radiator are all powered by electric motors.

I visit my elderly parents in Oklahoma about once or twice a month so my driving is a mixture of Ozark hills and level toll roads. I've checked my highway mileage several times and averaged 49 mpg. Around town where the electric motor works more often, I've reached 52.5 mpg.

Whenever you stop the car the gas engine shuts off. As soon as you press on the accelerator it comes on instantly without any delay. When you accelerate hard, the gas engine and electric motor both kick in for a combined 200 horsepower. Plenty of power when needed!

One of my town's newer city police cars is a 2014 black-and-white Camry Hybrid. (I did a Google search and more and more Camry Hybrids are being used for police cars and fleet taxis due to overall fuel savings and reliability.)

I'm very pleased with my Camry so far. I feel like Toyota has a proven track record for hybrid vehicles.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have 212k on a 07 Camry le with the 4 cyl motor. I bought it for $12k with 27k on it when everyone was dumping them for the un intended acceleration nonissue. Only issues so far are the driver side doors don't always lock/unlock recently with the key fob. I have a 60 mile commute and love the car so far. Shooting for 300k before I get an Avalon.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd look for a used Avalon. More car for not much more money.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
I have 212k on a 07 Camry le with the 4 cyl motor. I bought it for $12k with 27k on it when everyone was dumping them for the un intended acceleration nonissue. Only issues so far are the driver side doors don't always lock/unlock recently with the key fob. I have a 60 mile commute and love the car so far. Shooting for 300k before I get an Avalon.

What maintenance and when have you done?? Plugs at 120k and tranny at 100k?

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks to all for the input. Perhaps characterizing the camry as less car thn the taurus was a poor choice of words, it's just that the taurus is full sized, roughly the same size as the avalon. I was kicking around the idea of AWD and possibly the SHO or intercepter with the 365 horse ecoboost, but decided I don't need it.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (257Bob, 257_X_50, 163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.