Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
While my carcass is getting fixed up with a new Kidney, I am having a Harley Shop finish the work started last year on my '03 Sporster 1200R. Not much left to be done, so the bike should be up and running about the same time as I am grin

The baby needs some new shoes, but I have had real trouble finding V rated, sticky tires in the sizes I need. 140/90/16 in the rear (the hardest by far) and 110/90/19 in the front.

Bike Bandit (have not dealt with them before yet, either) has a set of Shinko 230 series tires with the proper (V) speed rating and the reviews are good with reports of good stick and handling but I have never run a Shinko tire. The price is excellent, under $140 shipped for the pair, but this low pricepoint scares me a little, also.

I had to quit riding about July of last year, and I am excited to hopefully feel like riding again this summer! And, be safe aboard the bike with far fewer meds in my system.

Thanks in advance for the input and opinions.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Change your rear wheel to a 17 incher for more tire options and run a Shinko 003 Stealth Rear Tire or keep your 16 and run a M&H on a stock wheel for the drags.
http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-003-stealth-motorcycle-tire

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Racem....0-16-Motorcycle-Drag-Slick#.VQnCfyqF_AM

Difficult to have your cake and eat it too at times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good grief.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Good grief.

To infinity and beyond

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Are the 2015 Chargers any good in snow?

FJB & FJT
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have no idea.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, this is the "All-American, WWII" themed Harley ... That will now run Japanese/Korean tires?

Really?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
Are the 2015 Chargers any good in snow?

I don't know, but I hear you can jam two deer in the trunk.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 4ager
So, this is the "All-American, WWII" themed Harley ... That will now run Japanese/Korean tires?

Really?

A true testament to thinking outside the box...
[Linked Image]

+

[Linked Image]

+

[Linked Image]

+

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dunlop D-404s are H rated are you really going to run over 130 on a Sportster?

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have Shinko 244's on my DRZ 400 and have been happy with them. They seem to be a low to moderately priced tire but are fine for my use. I don't have enough miles on them to know how they're going to hold up yet.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogballs
I have Shinko 244's on my DRZ 400 and have been happy with them. They seem to be a low to moderately priced tire but are fine for my use. I don't have enough miles on them to know how they're going to hold up yet.

Thanks, do you consider them to be pretty good in the traction department? Fairly 'sticky'?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Change your rear wheel to a 17 incher for more tire options and run a Shinko 003 Stealth Rear Tire or keep your 16 and run a M&H on a stock wheel for the drags.
http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/shinko-003-stealth-motorcycle-tire

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Racem....0-16-Motorcycle-Drag-Slick#.VQnCfyqF_AM

Difficult to have your cake and eat it too at times.

Changing the rear wheel and even the whole back end to enable a wider tire is in the plans (more like hope's) but no can do this year.

Thanks for the links and all of the help you have been the past year or more.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Really?

That is a VERY good point, that I had not thought of. Thanks.

Problem at hand is that calls into J-P cycle, Motorcycle Superstore and Bandit Bikes came up with zero other options for a sticky, higher speed rated sport tire in my size. And a changeout to a different rear rim size is not in the budget or cards for this year.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SEdge
Dunlop D-404s are H rated are you really going to run over 130 on a Sportster?

If I travel over to the other tracks that run 1/4 mile, just might. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't much like going that fast, and may only run that track one or two passes. Just to have done it once and see what the ride and me are capable of. Part of what I am looking for is stickyness and good handling. I was not well pleased with the Dunlops I had, the Metzler that is on it now was much better.

Before the turbo was added, I was running 85-87MPH in the 1/8th mile races, with 2 more gears to go and the bike still pulling hard at the end and wanting to GO.

It is not a stock Sportster.

Last edited by safariman; 03/18/15.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A Yokohama plant was destroyed in the earth quake. Koreans bought the tooling and Shinko was born. I have some on a KLR 650 with no problems

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm curious as to why you would want to be looking for the cheapest tire out there when those are the very things that you depend on most to keep you in the line or on the road.
If you are going to run that thing down the track,buy a slick that's made for drag racing.
Metzeler tires are what you should be running on that bike if you choose not to buy the slick.
Not unproven and cheap Korean junk.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bart has it here... tires are the LAST thing I'd skimp on. And I personally could care less about brand but about performance from keeping you from splattering all over the place.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figure Metzeler tires saved my bacon, perhaps my life.
Three inch screw thru my rear tire, cut the tube completely in two at 85 MPH, and that tire held up until I could stop.

Cheap tires on a motorcycle is fools play.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
I figure Metzeler tires saved my bacon, perhaps my life.
Three inch screw thru my rear tire, cut the tube completely in two at 85 MPH, and that tire held up until I could stop.

Cheap tires on a motorcycle is fools play.

That'd be about a +11 on the pucker factor scale.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,502 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.