Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking for a better method. I now color the neck and shoulder with a black marker and the resize. I seem to be having a harder time seeing the sizing mark when trying to bump the shoulder. To many birthdays I guess. Is the Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage or the Wilson gauge worth a damn? Do you have a better method?

Thanks.. BP...

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Redding body die, and a neck sizing die.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After reading this, I am on the side of avoiding the practice. I know what you are going for but I would either go with the above advice or just go with a full length resize and call it good.

Link

Last edited by K1500; 03/22/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I want to bump the shoulder back, I use an RCBS precision mic. There are other, and some think better, devices, but it's what I have and am used to using. I would think the Hornady comparators would be great.

I measure a fired case and simply adjust the die down until I get about .002" setback.

When I don't want to set the shoulder back, I use a .050" shim, placing it on the shellholder and raising the ram. I then screw the die down until contact, lower the ram and turn the die in slightly, raise the ram fully, pressing the shim against the shellholder, then tighten the die. This is to square the die with the ram.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I avoid partial full length sizing. It has always caused more problems for me than it has solved.

I use the Hornady gauge set and bump the shoulder back a couple of thousands.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
It has always caused more problems

Like what? How many is 'more'?...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use neck dies when I want to partial resize and for a gague I just use the rifle when needing to bump.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sooting the neck and shoulder with a candle works better for me than a marker. It is much more positive that I am getting the shoulder bumped. Also, I do this in conjunction with a Hornady compirator. The soot just lets me know when to slow down the turns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Wilson gages for every thing. The degree of annealing in the cases varies, resulting in a few case sized shorter or longer than the rest. Other systems for measuring this are awkward to use for checking 100% of the cases.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Smoke the neck...you'll see the marks of the die when you size down far enough to make several marks around the radius of the neck. Once you see the marks you can stop. powdr

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Put a witness mark on the size die. Size a piece of brass incrementally until the bolt closes on a case the way you want it to. Now note the position of the die in the press.

Be sure to use the same shell holder in later sizing sessions.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You will NOT regret buying the $35 hornady hs bushing kit....one of the BEST bangs for the $ on my bench!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I wonder what every one did before neck sizing dies were available. Oh I know, we didn't screw the FL die all the way down and watched the neck of the case while adjusting the die. Then if the shoulder really needed bumped back which usually it doesn't ,we screwed the die in enough so the empty brass would chamber like we wanted it to.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I wonder what every one did before neck sizing dies were available. Oh I know, we didn't screw the FL die all the way down and watched the neck of the case while adjusting the die. Then if the shoulder really needed bumped back which usually it doesn't ,we screwed the die in enough so the empty brass would chamber like we wanted it to.

Agree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dies are cheap. Buy a neck sizer and be done with it.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 1minute
Buy a neck sizer and be done with it.

Buy a Lee Collet Die and be done with it. Fixed it for you. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might be over simplistic but I put a 1/32 thick washer under the lock ring of my FL die to partial full length resize. It's consistent and works as good or better than anything else I've tried for that. Still got to lube the case though.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I wonder what every one did before neck sizing dies were available.

Vince, none of us know because we weren't alive back then. grin

What was it like when you guys had to use Cordite?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all but I think I misrepresented myself by not using the correct terminology. I have a Redding neck sizer but I'm loading for several Savage 99's and just want to "bump" the shoulder back without a full resize. Just looking for a shortcut. Sorry for the confusion.

BP...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Redding body die is the best bet that I've used. That in conjunction with the Hornady headspace gauge (mine is a Stoney Point from before Hornady bought them) will give you the exact "bump" measurements.

Smoking the shoulder, marking it, feeling the bolt closing - I've used them all and they all work but the Hornady gauge or similar device from RCBS or Wilson will give you an absolute quantitative measurement if that is important to you. I'm a die hard anal retentive handloader and like knowing that the shoulders are moving exactly .002" but won't claim that it is absolutely necessary.

And since I'm being AR, the body die actually does resize the case body the same as a FL die, squeezing the expansion ring as well as the length and circumference of the shoulder, it just has several thousandth's clearance around the neck so that isn't touched. One neat unintended benefit of this is that you can resize loaded ammo if for some reason you have a need to. BTDT and it works like a charm.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.