Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
To add to the discussion, I just finger banged a Howa Alpine at the local Whorehouse, and at $999, I think forbes has something to worry about besides their crappy CS and QC..

I'd kill to get our whorehouse back. Liked them the most, even over our Cabela's.

Me

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd imagine the counter jockeys wouldn't know wtf was going on..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's alright, I can wait 'til you get one home...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big Fin sez he has a .308 ready for me to test drive...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take your postal scale. Tell him you're taking part in Carl's postal match.

Legacy lists the B/A they're using at 4.5 lbs. Aren't Bansners around 1.5 lb? Just curious how close to their advertised weight it comes. Love me some Howa.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just looked that up, had never seen/heard of the Howa Alpine. I have to check one out, as I too love Howa rifles, except their weight.

I guess they'd be a few hundred more if they came with a Shaw barrel...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
I found Rick Campbell to be uninformed and difficult to do business with. He promised that I would get my LH Forbes by last Spring, then late Spring, then early Summer, then late Summer, then early Fall etc.

When I brought the multiple wrong data to his attention, he got annoyed, and I also found out that he does not know very much about his product.

It appears that he has a thick head and a thin skin. Would not do business with him again.

Steve

Shades of Montana Rifle Company

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wish the Kimber Montana was made with a cheekpiece just like the SuperAmerica. Then it would be perfect!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scott,

Forbes and the Montana Rifle Company have a lot in common. Had not thought of that before but you are exactly right.

Thanks for the insight.

Steve

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those alpines look real nice....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Took the rifle to the store today with fired brass.
Checked headspace with guages and OK.
Checked brass with calipers and not oversized chamber.
Manager called Forbes and talked to Chris Bozzi.
Chris said send him the rifle, he would pay shipping.
I spoke to him on the phone and he doesn't suspect pressure, he thinks something is wrong with the bolt.
We will see.
Von

USMA '86
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Well, Mr. Campbell finally called and said the gun was ready.
Anything found/fixed? No. Tried three loads and it was accurate.....Wasn't returned for accuracy.......(The repair form said one word: misfire - which it wasn't).
To make a long story short, they didn't find anything.
Can you at least send it to me so I don't have to drive 2 hour round trip to Bowie. Sure.
Bowie called - it was sent to them anyway.
I shot it and it doesn't get sticky extraction anymore, even as it warms up.
Don't know if it fixed itself or they did something and didn't admit it.
It does still fail to feed rounds from the right side of the mag if you don't run it hard from the shoulder. They can't help but have noticed this and did nothing.
I'm going to just use the thing. It does work if you run it like you stole it and plastic tipped bullets help the problem.
Since neither Forbes nor Bowie will exchange it, I'll just have to live with it.
This is my first 5# rifle and the weight is an absolute joy.
My advice though is to stay away from Forbes.
Von

USMA '86
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello Mr. Rick Cambell.

If you are reading this thread, you can understand why I cancelled my order over a year ago. I do appreciate the call the other day telling me my rifle was ready. But my feelings are the same as they were a year ago.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So, here is my story. A little bad, and a lot of good at the end.

Anyway, I posted on here on one of these threads that I loaned my rifle out to a young relative to go shoot and it came back with a bolt handle that was just barely hanging on that promptly broke as soon as I worked the bolt. His claimed not to have done anything or noticed it...so be it. It wasn't worth family drama to make a big deal out of it.

So, anyway, I called up Forbes to get them to work on it. I didn't get an immediate response. So, on a whim I called up Melvin Forbes at NULA just to see if he would work on it if they didn't get back with me soon. I, of course, planned to pay him for his work as that I understand it isn't his company. But, figuring that it was more or less the same rifle, I knew he could get it done.

So, anyway, I called NULA up and Mr. Forbes answered the phone. I told him the deal and he said, "Send it to me. It has my name on it so I'll work on it." So, I sent him the bolt and within a week or so, he called me back and told me that I would need to send him the whole rifle as that they would have to fit a new bolt altogether rather than simply braze a handle on to the old one. That was in early November. So, once I got that call, I knew I wouldn't have it for hunting season, so some of the urgency was gone.

Anyway, I finally got around to sending it to Mr. Forbes a month or so ago. And within a week or so of him receiving it, I had it back. The bolt is noticeably smoother now and although I didn't pay to much attention before, it looks like the handle is more firmly attached now than it was.

I had a few conversations with Mr. Forbes and I got the impression that he wanted to look at my rifle just to see if things were being done up to his standards. He did mention once that my rifle would be "right" and although he didn't go into detail, he said that my bolt had "not been right". He got a bolt from Forbes Rifle and then fitted it to my rifle.

So, anyway, I shot the rifle this past weekend and it is a legitimate tack driver. Probably the most accurate rifle I have. I am very pleased with it now. Although, that isn't exactly ringing endorsement for the company.

Oh, and in the intervening six months or so since I called about the rifle, as far as I know, I've never gotten a call from Forbes Rifle Inc..

But if and when I ever want another lightweight rifle, you can bet I'll be giving Mr. Forbes a call and have him build me one.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/23/15.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Anyway, I posted on here on one of these threads that I loaned my rifle out to a young relative to go shoot and it came back with a bolt handle that was just barely hanging on that promptly broke as soon as I worked the bolt. His claimed not to have done anything or noticed it...so be it. It wasn't worth family drama to make a big deal out of it.

So, anyway, I called up Forbes to get them to work on it. I didn't get an immediate response. So, on a whim I called up Melvin Forbes at NULA just to see if he would work on it if they didn't get back with me soon. I, of course, planned to pay him for his work as that I understand it isn't his company. But, figuring that it was more or less the same rifle, I knew he could get it done.

So, anyway, I called NULA up and Mr. Forbes answered the phone. I told him the deal and he said, "Send it to me. It has my name on it so I'll work on it." So, I sent him the bolt and within a week or so, he called me back and told me that I would need to send him the whole rifle as that they would have to fit a new bolt altogether rather than simply braze a handle on to the old one. That was in early November. So, once I got that call, I knew I wouldn't have it for hunting season, so some of the urgency was gone.

Anyway, I finally got around to sending it to Mr. Forbes a month or so ago. And within a week or so of him receiving it, I had it back. The bolt is noticeably smoother now and although I didn't pay to much attention before, it looks like the handle is more firmly attached now than it was.

I had a few conversations with Mr. Forbes and I got the impression that he wanted to look at my rifle just to see if things were being done up to his standards. He did mention once that my rifle would be "right" and although he didn't go into detail, he said that my bolt had "not been right". He got a bolt from Forbes Rifle and then fitted it to my rifle.

So, anyway, I shot the rifle this past weekend and it is a legitimate tack driver. Probably the most accurate rifle I have. I am very pleased with it now. Although, that isn't exactly ringing endorsement for the company.

Oh, and in the intervening six months or so since I called about the rifle, as far as I know, I've never gotten a call from Forbes Rifle Inc..

But if and when I ever want another lightweight rifle, you can bet I'll be giving Mr. Forbes a call and have him build me one.

It seems to me it would be worth the extra for a NULA to deal with a man who cares about his product and has great CS.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by JoeBob

It seems to me it would be worth the extra for a NULA to deal with a man who cares about his product and has great CS.

The man always answers his own phone and is polite to a fault. I'm pretty sure, though I haven't asked, and probably will not, that he did a little more to my rifle than just the bolt.

Anyway, it would be hard to brag on him too much.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
He is apparently on a whole other level from Titan.
There is no way I could pay for a NULA so I took a chance.
Bowie admitted that the Kimber Montanas had accuracy problems for them, so try Forbes.....
Ideally you could try either the Kimber or Forbes in the store before buying - guns that have great potential but spotty quality. Guess I won't hold my breath for that concept. Just a thought for $1500 guns. I mean all I need to know is it functions and shoots a 3 shot 1.5" group. You're confident of at least that, right???................

Von

USMA '86
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/2015/09/25/workers-titan-machine-go-without-paychecks/72826768/

uh oh

Looks like the party is about over....

Musical chairs is playing.

Hope you don't have a rifle there for repairs or a deposit down on an order - Ponzi scheme comes to mind.

USMA '86
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bummer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Von Odenwald,

The party has been over for a while. Last year Melvin Forbes demanded Forbes buy out his share of the company, because they were not making rifles up to the standards agreed upon when the company was formed. In fact the agreement said they'd ship all rifles to him to be checked out BEFORE they went on to customers, whether individuals or companies, and the people at Forbes never did.

One of the other original partners left this year, and when a new partner came in the situation got even worse. Their bank shut them down this fall.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,969
Posts18,519,631
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.