Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Perhaps your bear hide was ruined by the tannery. This is quite common. However, the taxidermist is still responsible. I once knew of one that let a customer's muskox cape spoil. mad

Using a one man shop for any long term work is a recipe for disaster. Suggest using a full business instead......that can still deliver if the owner gets flaky or gets hit by a truck or blows his brains out (it once happened with a taxidermist in one of my former towns).

One-man shop taxidermists, gunsmiths, and outfitters are notorious for this as evidenced by the many threads about these on the internet. Ever read the stories about a dude giving a $10K deposit on a moose hunt and then never heard another word? OUCH!!!

Last edited by SBH; 03/01/15.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had a one-man shop and a former buddy handle this one in Wyoming 1996. I moved during the process. Told him I'd pay him for the tanning, caping and his time and dollars-out if he'd just ship the tanned cape to me (I had found a top new local to mount him).

The original dude dillydallyed and finally mailed me the cape of another substitute white-faced mature buck..........but not with the notched ear that my buck had (can't see it in the photo). I sent it back and told him I was more than happy to make the 2-day trip to his shop and cut his nuts off after applying vise grips for a couple hours. He immediately drove to the tannery in another Wyoming town and found my buck's cape laying alone in the bottom of the 'already salted receiving bin'.........where it would have rotted. I received it in the mail shortly thereafter..........and it turned into a beautiful show-quality mount.

I value the cape as much as the rack. And I've NEVER left the rack of one of my hard-earned animals with a taxidermist more than the time it takes for final mounting (I bring it home and then let them have it for final mounting only)............cuz they have a knack for disappearing as well...........much more often than capes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SBH; 03/01/15.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Been there over three years to mget a deer head back , finally after several threats to sue/take legal action job was horrid but it was my antlers for sure

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
the old I lost it (sold to someone else)but don't wanna tell ya game
he is hoping a hide will miraculously show up for you somehow

fugg him
you have the tag number/metal band for the hide(shot in maine?)
go get your local warden explain the situation then both of you go to the conmans place and watch him tap dance and get your money and or hide back if he still has it

then write him a or start a scathing review for his skills and ways on angies list under a sock puppet

a lot (not all)of taxidermist are scumbillies

I recommend tad proudlove
enfeild maine
excellent taxidermist, well worth his price
if you do stuff in maine

john dykstra isn't bad either
alton maine

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a very well known Master Taxidermist do a bear rug for me a number of years ago. He took about a year, which is about normal, but managed to loose my skull and still had the gall to tell me that the price per foot had gone up since I had dropped it off.

When I went to pick it up there was a pink spot on the nose where the airbrushing had been scraped off. He simply grabbed a black sharpie and colored it in. Looked like chit.

Master taxidermist, my ass.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jericho
Dang, it sounds like being in the taxi business is a lot of headaches.

Sounds like being a customer of a taxi can be a lot of headaches!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by K_J
I'm going on 3 years waiting on a mount which was quoted a year.

He had a good excuse, he went through a divorce, but mounts that came
in after mine have been finished and delivered.

I've offered to come and pick up the hide and just move on but he refuses
to give it up. I put half down as required. He has answered my calls and
just said he hasn't got around to it.

Not sure what I can do.

I don't want to loose the hide, it was my first bear with hounds.

He is part time so it's not his only source of income.

What do you guys think?

Stop harassing the guy.

Double down and check back with him in 6 years.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
KMCM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info guys.

I checked with the state about his license and they referred me to the
Better business bureau to file a complaint.

I can go to small claims court, which still may be an option.

I'm still checking into the "cities" tag and not returning my property.

At this point he hasn't answered or returned my call which he always
answered my calls in the past.

According to my state a receipt for the deposit and work to be done is
a contract so that may be the direction to go.

Meanwhile I just got my bear back from this past fall and my new taxidermist
did a super job. The best mount I've had done do far.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I had this type of thing happen with a gun once. At about the three year mark I pushed the issue and my gunsmith ordered me a new gun. He simply lost it and didn't want to face the music until forced to. I ended up sending him a fair amount of work to offset his loss. The guy is a friend and a fellow Friends of NRA committee member so I did what I could, despite being the victim in the situation. My advice is to push the issue and move on. Unfortunately, I bet your hide may be missing. I sure hope not!

How does a gunsmith lose a gun?

KMCM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
UPDATE:

I got the bear back, frozen and untouched.
No deposit though, got the times are tough story.....
Spent my money no problem, will get it back to me in time.

I dropped it off the following day to the good taxidermist.
He said he would help me out with recovering my deposit...

Glad I got the bear back........

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There was a taxidermist in my area who had a reputation as being the best, then it started taking three years to get a whitetail mount back. Turns out he had a couple of druggie kids who were stealing racks and mounts out of his shop and selling them for drug money. Fortunately for me I did not have any work in his shop at the time. Through word of mouth referral I found a sheriff's deputy who was a part time taxidermist. None of the guys who took work to him had any trouble getting their mounts back on time. He did a whitetail mount for me and I got it back when promised which was less than a year, his work was top notch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lost a trophy pronghorn mount once to taxidermist - the biggest I will ever shoot at 17-1/2" with 7-inch paddles. The taxidermist was raiding by the State G&F and had hundreds of racks and capes seized because he didn't log them in properly - no way to tell whose racks were whose.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by K_J
UPDATE:

I got the bear back, frozen and untouched.
No deposit though, got the times are tough story.....
Spent my money no problem, will get it back to me in time.

I dropped it off the following day to the good taxidermist.
He said he would help me out with recovering my deposit...

Glad I got the bear back........

I'm glad to hear you got it back, I just hope it hasn't been ruined from 3 years in the freezer.
About 10 years ago I killed a pure white wild turkey. A part time taxidermist who was going through a divorce left it in the freezer for a year and a half and when I finally got it back and took it to another taxi the skin just fell apart when he tried to skin it.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Seems there are lots of "fly by night" taxidermists out there, this is one profession where due diligence in checking references is especially important. Talk to as many clients as possible to gain an insight into quality of work and on time delivery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Better get another set of hounds and have your second bear mounted if you want one mounted.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (1234, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 74 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,063
Posts18,501,303
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.