-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's endemic - if we had raised most of these younger folks to be self-determinant and accepting of personal responsibility, and to understand the creativity and self-growth that can arise from sensibly delayed gratification, there would be so much less market for the the bells and whistles. Too many of our progeny crave the stuff in order to feel indulged, entertained and "in".
Face it, a lot of us like some of this extra but unneccesary stuff and we go for it here and there - an aspect of our nature - but the flood of self-indulgent product/media/etc. today is beyond any anticipation. For example, when I visit family in MN in that frigid winter, I enjoy their heated car seats - for a few minutes. But, would never pay to have them in one of my vehicles. Wear a heavier coat !!

That truck photo above from ringworm is very good - right on the mark. The only new vehicle we have bought in 55 years of marriage is now 15 years old and anything "extra" ordered on it was practical stuff that would make it a better working truck. Well - it does have CD player - but we are musicians. We have a lot of other vehicles around here - every one of them over 40 years old and running great. Zero gadgets.

The only way I can begin to understand the popularity - no, make that neccessity - for our plethora of hand- held communication/internet gadgets and all of the "instant connection" stuff associated with the vast social media activity is that there are way to many unchallenged, undeveloped, un-responsible younger minds and personalities around us. But, we planted and cultivated the crop.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What I really hate is stuff that constantly talks to me, or worse, purports to read my mind and think ahead for me. Exceptions perhaps being certain safety features. And don't get me going on the ubiquitous beeping.

Worst of course are computers that seem to have to constantly tell the user what they are doing, in geek-speak, of course.

Can you imagine a vehicle like a computer?

Now your key is in the ignition.

Ignition is sending current to the engine.

Fuel is now flowing.

Whoops, can't start right now, run correction and try later.

(While driving) Your car has encountered an error. We are sorry it has to shut down. We hope you're not in traffic.

See list of FAQs for possible solutions (that probably won't work)

mad

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just more chit to break so a service center. An fix it for you.
There is no true progress in the marketplace.
None.
You are a consumer. The purpose of the market is to enrich stockholders and grow corporations. If the company produces a product that lasts then there is no chance of a future purchase by the initial customer.
Planned obsolescence is the key.
The opposite would be that after 100 years of personal vehicles we could have solar paint, 6star crash rated vehicles that are user fixable.
But just like everything else, products are not getting less expensive e and more durable they are getting more fragile, complicated, and expensive.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by las
I am convinced engineers lay awake nights dreaming up things that are AFU for the consumers -then giggling about them at their conventions

if you actually knew any engineers you would know they find nothing funny bout any of it and honestly think they are improvements.....engineers have no sense of humor....

Rubbish. Most are quite the opposite and run with a fair bit of wit. That said, we do take our work dead serious.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul39
What I really hate is stuff that constantly talks to me, or worse, purports to read my mind and think ahead for me. Exceptions perhaps being certain safety features. And don't get me going on the ubiquitous beeping.

Worst of course are computers that seem to have to constantly tell the user what they are doing, in geek-speak, of course.

Can you imagine a vehicle like a computer?

Now your key is in the ignition.

Ignition is sending current to the engine.

Fuel is now flowing.

Whoops, can't start right now, run correction and try later.

(While driving) Your car has encountered an error. We are sorry it has to shut down. We hope you're not in traffic.

See list of FAQs for possible solutions (that probably won't work)

mad

Paul

Mine doesn't talk, but does have useful information available when you want it.

* Miles left on tank of gas/oil change
* Gas mileage
* Tire Pressure on each tire
* Trailer brake control setting
* Backup camera and warning system
* Auto-dim rear view mirror
* Side mirror retractor
* Remote start/ Alarm system
* Satellite Radio

I DON'T care for:

* Seat belt warning bell mad (I disabled that.)
* GPS emergency locator system
* Bluetooth Connect service
* Navigation (My $150 Garmin is better than their $1500 option)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by las
I am convinced engineers lay awake nights dreaming up things that are AFU for the consumers -then giggling about them at their conventions

if you actually knew any engineers you would know they find nothing funny bout any of it and honestly think they are improvements.....engineers have no sense of humor....

Rubbish. Most are quite the opposite and run with a fair bit of wit. That said, we do take our work dead serious.

well then none of the rest of us understand your humor grin

note: original post was very tongue in cheek....mainly a shot a a couple friends here.....was going to school for geological engineering for awhile and now working for the state highway department i deal with engineers a fair bit.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like simplicity but I do like some things about my pickup:
power windows...I can adjust the air flow from the driver's seat
power mirrors...especially when towing
power locks...I can lock all 4 doors without having to run around the truck

One thing I hate...the backup lights on my Dodge pickup quit working a year ago. It's something in the circuit board that a dealer has to reset.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by viking
I wish they would make a pick-up with out all the extras. If they do, I never see them. Most trucks now seem to be luxury models.

They are parked in the back or on an different lot where extra vehicles are parked. But to be honest I see more options for basic transportation from Japanese companies than American, but they make them. Even if your local dealer doesn't have them on hand you can get them.

The ones parked out front have stickers ranging from $45K-$60K, but you can buy a full size 4X4 truck that will seat 5 for under $30K. If you can live with a regular cab under $25K.

If you want a smaller Toyota or Nissan you can take another $5K off that.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just wish they could make a dog-proof, door lock switch.

Whitey jumps on the arm rest every time I get out and hits the lock.

Keyless entry is awesome when you get locked out(3-4 times a week...).

Power windows and mirrors are the only way to go.

Would love a forward and rear mounted camera as well.

I fuuckin' hate the courtesy wipe, just get the mud streak semi removed and the courtesy wipe smears it all over.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I just wish they could make a dog-proof, door lock switch.

Whitey jumps on the arm rest every time I get out and hits the lock.

Keyless entry is awesome when you get locked out(3-4 times a week...).

Power windows and mirrors are the only way to go.

Would love a forward and rear mounted camera as well.
I fuuckin' hate the courtesy wipe, just get the mud streak semi removed and the courtesy wipe smears it all over.

I have the rear. I need one in the bed for hooking up my gooseneck. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by las

well then none of the rest of us understand your humor grin

note: original post was very tongue in cheek....mainly a shot a a couple friends here.....was going to school for geological engineering for awhile and now working for the state highway department i deal with engineers a fair bit.....

Took it as that though this place routinely gives those with a college education and engineers in particular chit a fair bit.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
once they got rid of leather main bearings, it really went to chit.

starter motors, too. fugging engineers..

who would want a motor that lasts 300,000+ miles, anyways?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE dogs... Sam I know you are in rougher weather than we have but I keep a spare key in pocket or window down some with window lock on, since my remote locker died and I'm too tight to want to buy another, mostly cause I don't like the bulk in my pockets....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I've gotta say that I like all the fancy stuff on my truck. Backup television thingie, Bluetooth and remote start.

Beats the crap out of my 1969 Jeepster that drowned the distributor every time we went though a mud puddle. No kidding, the Buick V6 engine had a front-mounted distributor and it took a heavy rain through the fan to kill it.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally rather like all the things on modern cars. My late wife was 4'11 1/2" tall and with a commensurate weight and reach. Her shotgun and rifle stocks were so short we could find no recoil pads that could be cut down small enough to fit. The only things she wanted on a vehicle were what most here call convenience items and I totally agree with her. She had to have remote door locks and power windows to feel safe and she would go wild over the keyless entry and start on my Hyundai Genesis coupe. I live in Southern Arizona and summers without AC are miserable,either in the car or house. Although in a house you can make do with an evaporative cooler most of the summer till the monsoons. Where I live probably a large percentage of the vehicles are PU trucks. The only thing is I never see anything being hauled in them. My last full size PU was a SWB Ford F150 with auto and 5 liter V-8. I also had a full leather interior and never in the 5 years I had it did it haul a load of anything. Engines and Transmissions are complex today to serve a purpose not primarily more money. If an auto maker did not bring out improvements each year they would soon be out of business because no one would buy their product. The engine in my Hyundai is a v-6 with DOHC and the transmission is an 8 speed automatic that I have as yet to feel the 8 shift points it's so smooth. The engine puts out 350HP. I have worked with engineers all my adult life and find them no different than any other profession in their thought of everyday items. In fact my Grandaughter is a Chemical Engineer and one of the most logical thinking people I know. All on this forum obviousl have a personal computer,probably a cellphone and an Ipad and such and don't rant about the 'moneysucking engineers' who design them primarily to extract more money else why would you have to buy a new model to get new features they could design them to be upgraded Apple is probably the worst of the bunch especially with the new IWatch which will require a Apple PC of IPhone to work and the Iphone has to be an I6. Obviously no one on here ever worked for a living at a large corporation in any position above worker level. Absolutely have no idea of what effective cost planning is. Just one old mans personal views of life in these United States.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only issues I have with design engineers is that they often fail to take into consideration other parts of projects.

Spark plugs where you can't get to them, or have to raise the engine... same with water pumps and the like.

Or in building design, I get it you have sized your duct to 18 inches. But even though you drew it through the truss, the truss openings are no larger than 12 inches... that happens ALL the time.
Or 2 inch pipe from A to B. Copper. And no way to get there. So the plumber goes to put it where it has to go and they pitch a fit, don't want to furr anythign out to cover it.
Ok so lets reroute it... but it now is so long it goes over the design frame for that size and has to be sized up... or even a circ pump put on the hot water etc....

Left and right hands do not jive.

The most brilliant problem solver I know though... a great friend.... does all kinds of structural solves, mechanical solves etc.. even has mostly a robot set of arms do all the work on loading his ammo except pull the big lever... He is.. a ...Chemcial engineer... I keep telling him he missed his field.... He mutters somethign about wage differences...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Is there a job title for the people who keep coming up with all sorts of new technology (read: crap that most people don't want to have or to pay for) to be included on cars in an effort to drive the prices ever higher and higher?

Yes, it's called the Marketing Department.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been working on a plumbing take off for one of our customers. It is for a new public restroom with four stalls on a beach. Plans say no holes in the 36" deep footings. Then the sewer line drops into a sand filter with a inlet 24" below ground lever outside the footings. [bleep] don't flow up hill.

Try putting the hole in the foundation wall, not the footing.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I posted this on the wrong topic and covered my mistake on the other post after I deleted my post.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I.want the dimmer switch put back on the floor where it belongs, dammit!!

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 30 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.