Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I keep seeing people post that they have killed 40-60 elk. I have missed feelings here. Number 1 I'm just plain jealous. 2 how in the hell can anyone afford it? 3 at what point do ethics come into play? A professional hunter does just that, hunt but I've seen what seems to be a high no. of guys claiming to have done this.

We all love to hunt and we all covet that trophy tag. Should there be a limit? When is it someone else's turn?

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A lot of them probably hunt in states with general tags, apply in multiple states, and are good at what they do.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are jealous figure out how they do it. If not, what do you care.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by willflow
I keep seeing people post that they have killed 40-60 elk. I have missed feelings here. Number 1 I'm just plain jealous. 2 how in the hell can anyone afford it? 3 at what point do ethics come into play? A professional hunter does just that, hunt but I've seen what seems to be a high no. of guys claiming to have done this.

We all love to hunt and we all covet that trophy tag. Should there be a limit? When is it someone else's turn?

You need to learn about hunting beyond Arizona. Either way thats one odd post..Ethics? really?

Most i've killed in a year is 3, in 3 different states, two general tags one limited entry tag. I dont hunt cows, but thats one way to rack up numbers as some states you can kill multiple cows a year, or a bull and a cow.

Times that by 20 or more years of hunting, it aint real hard to figure out.

Last edited by rosco1; 03/31/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My great uncle who's pushing 80 has killed around 65 head all here in Idaho,every one went to feeding family.

Is that unethical?

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My two hunting buddies hunted Colorado since we first went in '88 every year, had 6 or 7 Az tags and about that many NM tags. They've killed that many.

I've killed 13 but I have been on around 80 or more elk kills, average 4 a year. I don't need to be the shooter, I just want to hunt them.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
. Should there be a limit? When is it someone else's turn?

There is a limit, always has been. At least as long as anyone here can remember. "Someone else" has the same opportunity as the guy who hunts for many years and gets his elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I love it so much...nothing like it. I hope I never limit out, but know it will come some day. Sure hope I hear a bugle or two in heaven one day....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you live near the elk, anyone who can afford a deer can afford an elk. Idaho resident tags are only about $35. I'm 66 and have lived in Idaho all my life. I haven't killed 40 elk but if I had a really good spot, it wouldn't be at all hard to do it over 50+ years of hunting. If you know where the elk are, they aren't that hard to get.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sour grapes never made anyone look good.

The opportunities are there every year to have an elk tag in your pocket. Because it may not be cheap, easy or come with a guaranteed harvest - does not make it unethical to hunt every year.Much less to harvest an elk after the amount of work, effort and sweat equity I put into getting one.

I don't need to tell you my personal harvest count, over the 34 years of hunting - but all of my elk have provided food for my family and my friends.

If you were to ask me to stop hunting because I've killed X-amount of elk I will tell you to stop wasting your time. I was born into a hunting heritage. Game meat is a main staple of my diet and no amount of complaining about me getting an elk too often - will change my mind.

I'd suggest doing the more difficult task - start hunting outside of Arizona. Find a place, commit to learning it, and start bringing home an elk every once in awhile.

I read on the "internets" somewhere that most complaints are simply a deficiency in B-vitamins. Most of which are easily found in red meat.

Looks like a win-win here. "Meat its whats for dinner"

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I know a couple of guys who have taken 40 some elk.

In general they are either serious elk hunters, who do the work learning the animals, and hunting hard - or of course rich, in which case they pay someone else to get them easy access, on private ranches (there are a few owners in that mix but they tend not to post here).

Now if you don't live in a state with easy to draw elk tags, then you've got an issue with taking that many elk in a cost effective manner that most of those 30-40 elk guys don't have - they live there.

Now your question about limiting the total number of elk a guy can take over his life. Frankly most of the guys who shoot a good deal of elk teach others who haven't - so not only is setting a limit goofy, but it would result in less elk hunters becoming successful.

If guys like saddlesore and coyote hunter "stopped" hunting elk isn't going to make the collective number of elk hunters success better off, if anything it's going to go down.

The cost of elk hunting isn't going to get cheaper, so learn from the best you can, and be thankful that there are guys who are honest to god hunters who know and respect game vs. the here today gone tomorrow guys who just want a wall mount and their down - I've never learned much from those types other than to take things for granted. No such "taking things" for granted from a guy who has to hunt them on public land whatsoever.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
willflow,

Apparently you suffer from "Arizona Syndrome." This can occur in other states as well, and it amounts to not understanding how different many other western states are from where you live.

A number of my friends and acquaintances live in Arizona (and Oregon, and a couple of other states where drawing any sort of big game rifle tag is cause for celebration). Every year at least one of them asks me, "Did you draw an elk tag this year?" And I explain, yet again, that I buy an elk tag every year, over the counter, and maybe two, along with a couple of deer tags, black bear tag, etc.

If the same person asks this often enough, I tell them they could do the same if they moved from wherever they lived to some state with more hunting opportunity. But apparently quite a few of them don't really get it, or think I'm making it up.

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

We all love to hunt and we all covet that trophy tag. Should there be a limit? When is it someone
else's turn?

Here in Tx 100-200 head in a lifetime is doable. They are considered an exotic animal so their is no real season same with Buffalo and much more. Of coarse they are behind tall fences. This is a cheap alternative for me instead of Colo, but Can't bring myself to do it besides the wife wont allow it. So dont be jellous their are places like Tx that will give you a cheap alternative. I've seen buffalo hunts go as low as $800. Elk can be a little higher

Last edited by Ziggy; 03/31/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with the OP in that 40-60 elk is a lot. What he does not describe is how long the hunter has been after them. If the hunter is a one elk per year guy hunting in his state and nearing the end of his career, that is one thing. If this guy is 25 years old and kills 5 or 6 a year that is another. What is done with the meat is more important that what is done with the horns. If the hunter can use it, then I feel different than if someone is just collecting trophies and does not use the meat.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Wont claim 40...though Im not sure. I am sure about a string of 23 in a row, in 23 years. I didn't have any missed feelings, or missed elk. All shot with general OTC tags...ethics I think would come into it if I shot more than the law allowed. For years here we had Dobers 50/50 club...if you are over 50 and have been in on the death of over 50 elk....a number of members qualified.
Now fill out one of these and turn it in to Sysop.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Expand your horizons man.

Elk aren't unicorns or pegasus.

There are multiple elk in the freezer every year in my home.

If you thirst for elk hunting, do it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ingwe - I'm going to have to keep your hurt feelings report and share it with some "friends"

That is simply...AWESOME

Last edited by 17_wizzer; 03/31/15.
B
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you live near the elk, anyone who can afford a deer can afford an elk. Idaho resident tags are only about $35. I'm 66 and have lived in Idaho all my life. I haven't killed 40 elk but if I had a really good spot, it wouldn't be at all hard to do it over 50+ years of hunting. If you know where the elk are, they aren't that hard to get.

^^^ This is what I was thinking. In state apps are cheap and I apply for multiple tags for the meat. Over the course for a lifetime it wouldn't be hard to rack up that many kills. Some people even end up getting 3 or more tags here in CO if they are type C tags (usually private land).

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't mean to look bad on anyone. I guess I am more curious how SO many guys at younger ages can do it. Of course an older guy who has been an avid hunter his whole life can rack up these numbers. I guess i was thinking more of the younger guys and the cost.

My ethical question was more aimed at the head only hunters. My family of 5 can eat 2 elk a year, and some venicin too I hope. The last thing i want to do is waste meat.

I have been exploring other state options for some time but there is no way I can afford multiple state hunts.

I grew up in New Mexico so yes between these two states elk hunting can be limited. I'm looking into the over the counter hunts and learning what its gonna take. I want to continue learning, I sure don't know everything. I refuse to pay a guide, that's my personal preference.

As far as the limit question, it's just amazing to hear the numbers. I'm sure not one to want the government getting any more involved. It was more of a question about exactly how this can be achieved when a guy is still in his younger years. I have been blessed to have have had 3 bull tags here over 9 years while I have friends who only had 1 or less in the lives over 40+ years.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ingwe that is an awesome form. My feelings arent hurt, i am just amazed that younger guys can afford to do more than hunt as much as you. I think your example is perfect. Hunt every year and make it happen.

Thanks for all the replays. It gives me some more ideas.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (16penny, 16gage, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,791
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.