Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by willflow
I posed these questions to get opinions and suggestions...

You got 'em! whistle

GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I posed these questions to get opinions and suggestions...

You got 'em! whistle

I suppose I did. LOL!

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We hunt mostly cows, for meat.. Although a good number of bulls have been taken, when they were the only sex legal.. This year I think we can get three elk tags.. I never have, but often get two.. Sometimes one goes unfilled, or if I take a second, my neighbors love free elk meat..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I hope to someday hunt WY wherthers it elk, deer or antelope. Funds just don'tallow it right now, too many medical bills and the kids gotta eat.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'm two shy of 50 elk kills, but I am an old fart who has been at it a lot of years. There isn't any bragging there and it isn't a game to me. I keep the punched tags as mementos of the hunt. I made a conscious decision to move to Colorado from NM so I could hunt elk every year in 1974. In NM you could not, even 40 years ago.

I also made my elk hunting a priority. I cannot remember missing a season in Colorado since 1974.I have all the necessary good equipment, keep at least two mules, have truck and trailer to haul them and equipment.

In the last several years, Colorado has offered two tags and one year offered three. In the years where I killed more than one, I shared those elk with my hunting companions that did not kill an elk . Other than that, I eat one elk a year. Colorado sells those tags and they want those elk killed. Most of my tags thru the years were OTC or 2nd choice. For twenty years when I was applying for Unit 201 ,I know darn well they were. So those same OTC tags were available to anyone else who wanted to buy one.

I am not rich by any means. I make sacrifices throughout the year so I can pay for my hunts. Except for one guided hunt in Alberta( guide required) all of my hunts have been on public land, in Colorado, DYI. Ditto on the hunts in NM. One year, I did do a cull hunt on a nearby ranch that needed to get rid of some spike bulls and I bought that elk. I don't have a boat, ATV, don't fish, don't play golf or any other hobbies. I have no 60 inch TV. I am debt free. In my gun safe there are only 12 rifles. Two of which I can hunt elk with and one for deer or pronghorns. The others are 22's, 20 year old ML's, or family heirlooms that will get passed to my grandson.

One reason I keep track of the numbers is then I know when I offer advice to someone.I know darn well I have the knowledge and experience to back it up. When I go elk hunting, I don't play at it. Some guys quit hunting with me because they said I work too hard at it.

Most guys that complain, are the ones that do not make elk hunting a priority.

good post there saddlesore. I can relate.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for sharing saddlesore. Simplicity is missing in today's society. I am doing all I can to keep my girls involved in the outdoors. I fear for the next generation, all caught up in social media and vanity. They seem to have put on blinders buy choice and just don't care what happens to the guy next to them as long as it doesn't effect them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have asked myself that question and all I can say is I have passed the 60 mark and it isn't enough...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When and IF I reach 90 years old,I don't want to look back and think "I should have gone elk hunting more"

I don't care if I shoot another elk in my life time. But if I go, I'm sure as heck going to try to. If not I might as well go camping when it is warm and there are a lot of bugs

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
all my game meat costs 1100$ a pound. quail, deer, elk, even rabbit.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Saddle sore I sure hope you get to 90 and more. We need as many guys like you as we can get to help influence others.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At 66 I'm the youngest of my group of 3 guys. The oldest is 70. So far we're all going strong but that can change fast. Getting my llamas to carry the meat out has been a huge help.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm 39 and with deginerative spinal discs I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hunt. The disc issue also makes nerve issues arise. Dew to a steady dose of percoset and nerve drugs I get around OK. I'm going to put off back surgery until I just can't take the pain anymore.

I had a grandfather who lived to be 99 and he farmed well into his late 70's or early 80's before he broke a hip and that did him in. God bless you old timers who still get it done, alone too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read every response, so I wouldn't doubt I'm being redundant here, but it all comes down to priority.

I'm 35, and make an average living. I prioritize my money and make hunting my 1st priority. I have unknown thousands of dollars in application fees from multiple western states on my CC every year and I just pay it off when my refund inevitably comes.

I don't drive a new vehicle nor do I live in a fancy house. I don't hit the bar every night or waste money on things like Direct TV, smart phone bills or other "necessities".

I have, however, hunted Alaska, South Africa, Argentina and just got back last week from New Zealand. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I went on my first Elk hunt at age 61 and a friend of mine had to talk me into going. Being the lucking SOB that I am I shot my first Elk and he scored SCI 498 5/8. Now I have to admit that it was an Estate kill but my point is I can't believe that I waited my entire life to go on my first Elk Hunt. So now I have been on two Elk hunts and have two bulls mounted. Now I've been hunting Deer all my life and I have paid my dues but sometime it's better to be lucky than good.

Last edited by Zr10054; 03/31/15.

Don't mess with me, I'm too old to fight, too fat to run, so I going to have to kill you.
B
B
I'm 32 and look forward to just getting a tag and roaming around the hills. I guess for me I don't really spend much money since I always DIY hunt. Maybe $$ spent on ammo,a few bow things/bow maintenance, the usual small supplies, ect. I doubt i'll ever be able to afford an out of state guided hunt...just the tag cost alone is quite a bit. Thank god for public lands and cheap in state tags. OTC bow tag a few miles from where I live and hopefully a late season cow tag as a backup to put some food on the table...I could only dream of getting 40 elk in a lifetime, I'd be ecstatic with half that.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm 39 and with deginerative spinal discs I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hunt. The disc issue also makes nerve issues arise. Dew to a steady dose of percoset and nerve drugs I get around OK. I'm going to put off back surgery until I just can't take the pain anymore.

I had a grandfather who lived to be 99 and he farmed well into his late 70's or early 80's before he broke a hip and that did him in. God bless you old timers who still get it done, alone too.

Don't wait to get that back fixed. You would be amazed at what they can do now days if you get a good doc. I fought back trouble since 1960. I thought everyone's back hurt like that prior to that. Lot of pain, TENs unit, shots, electrical nerve severing, two fusion and stuff you don't want to know about since then.
GIT-ER-DONE and start enjoying life.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Glad to hear a good story about back surgery. I have only heard the bad ones. I have a tens unit and it helps some. The spinal injections did absolutley zero to me.

I was told that they recently found that if you have the red hair gene you are less effected by meds. Its true with me and I only have red in my beard. Valium keeps me up for days. I take the percocets and feel almost nothing, always been that way. Time will tell. Its hard when I can't pick up the kids without really thinking about it.

I do not ask for any simpothy, it just is what it is. As long as I can work I'll keep off the government tit, other than working for a municipality as I do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't sound like elk hunting can be any kind of priority for you then. Life isn't fair.

Last edited by exbiologist; 03/31/15.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If people want "fair" I guess they should start the petition to make Obummer king. I for one will NOT be signing that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I can eat 50 eggs.

1Minute
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (akrange, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, Alan_C, 15 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.