Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I know a lot of guys who are just plain full of it also.
hear stories of how great they were, killed dozens and dozens of elk, but I've never seen a picture and only seen maybe one or two dead elk in the 15 years I've known them. 40-60 elk is a LOT of elk. it is totally doable don't get me wrong. but how many guys out there have killed 15-20 and to them it feels like a lot more so they exaggerate a little bit, it happens.
I know guys that do it with deer, say they have killed over 100 when actually it's probably more like 20.

You mean everything ever posted on the internet isn't true?
Damn. There go my plans for a quest for the Chupacabra.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

I took my first elk in 1974. I was pretty young and ignorant...Now, I'm just old and ignorant, but there is something about being, "In the elk" in September that is nearly unmatched. It's something I want to do every year until I'm physically not able to. I don't even need to kill one every year, but just need to be there....I went back to a recurve 19 years ago. This bull is the only elk I've taken with it. I had my goal of a really good herd bull, or nothing at all. Dozens, and dozens of close encounters through the years, but there was always a snafu involved. I can't describe what I felt when this all came together last fall....it was an amazing day!

Pat....that is a whopper of a bull....but rumors hereabouts say you have killed more than one big one...I don't know what to believe... whistle

wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I could post a lot more photos of dead elk ,but most of mine are hard copy taken before digital cameras were around. They are mostly stuck on the sticky page of albums, and it is not worth tearing up a photo just to convince a few of the elk I have taken. I don't have enough ego wrapped up in it for that. Then to there were a lot of years that cows and spikes were not photographed

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not a head hunter. The majority of my elk were cows and I didn't take photos of many of them. Sometimes we've hunted bulls only areas and I have taken some but for meat, I prefer a tasty cow.
This gentleman is one that I boned hot. He was one of the toughest chewing animals I've ever shot.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I could post a lot more photos of dead elk.....

No need for that, I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about you. You're too cantankerous to be a bullsh**er...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I could post a lot more photos of dead elk.....

No need for that, I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about you. You're too cantankerous to be a bullsh**er...... grin

amen, I wouldn't cross Saddlesore. I meant the other blow hards that aren't hard to find, especially in states that don't have elk hunting.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just pray God let's me kill enough elk before he takes me away that I can tell a believable lie about how good I am. And the first one will be a good place to start.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shootem
I just pray God let's me kill enough elk before he takes me away that I can tell a believable lie about how good I am. And the first one will be a good place to start.

Now there's an honest, sincere man.

Some of us are lucky to have spent our entire lives in states where there is good elk hunting with lots of opportunities, like Montana, where you can start hunting elk with a bow in early September, hunt for six weeks, lay down your bow, grab the rifle, and hunt another five weeks. You don't have to choose either or, you can do both.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shootem

That is a great statement. I'm looking for #3 so I won't be talking up my "skills" anytime soon.

I think it's worth adding that elk hunting does not have to be that expensive. I hunt in CO each fall because that's where I grew up. Yes the tags are a bit pricey, but the only other major cost is getting there. I use frequent flyer miles for that. Everything I need for a week in the Rockies fits in my back. There was some initial cost, but it all gets used year after year so it's not that much in the big scheme of things. All how you choose to do it.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Zr10054
I went on my first Elk hunt at age 61 and a friend of mine had to talk me into going. Being the lucky SOB that I am I shot my first Elk and he scored SCI 498 5/8. Now I have to admit that it was an Estate kill but my point is I can't believe that I waited my entire life to go on my first Elk Hunt. So now I have been on two Elk hunts and have two bulls mounted. Now I've been hunting Deer all my life and I have paid my dues but sometime it's better to be lucky than good.

Thought I better offer some proof.
SCI TOP 20 at 498 5/8 Estate Rifle Method
Nontypical 11x11
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Zr10054; 04/03/15.

Don't mess with me, I'm too old to fight, too fat to run, so I going to have to kill you.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's an "Estate Rifle Method"?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muleshoe
What's an "Estate Rifle Method"?
By the look of the atypical antlers, I assume he's talking about a canned hunt. Many of the elk bred for huge antlers on game farms develop an unnatural look. We used to have an elk ranch a couple miles from here. Some of their breeders looked really weird.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Estate referers to high fenced farms. There's a big defference in a two acre "canned" farm and a 400 acre or 4,000 acre Estate farm. Now before anyone makes a big deal out of any of this just remember that when you get to be 60+ like I am, your mind still wants to do all those hunting trips you've been dreaming of but you body is saying "screw you". Hell I can't climb mountains anymore.But I wish I could. Call it what you want, Farm, Estate or even canned, but many hunters now have another way to hunt and enjoy a sport they love.

Don't mess with me, I'm too old to fight, too fat to run, so I going to have to kill you.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think you're talking to a couple of guys who are 60+, except saddlesore. He's 70+.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No big deal till you call it hunting on a hunting site.

It'd be interesting on a livestock site... maybe...

Plenty of us have raised livestock for butcher and even may sport a set of longhorns above the mantel... we didn't hunt them.

That's not a wild elk that wandered on private property.

Kent

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I graciously accept the error of my ways.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Some of the most memorable hunts I have ever been on were hunts where no one in the hunting party even harvested an animal.Time spent with my best friends is priceless to me.I hate knowing that I will never be able to hunt with my Dad again on this earth.

Last edited by Zr10054; 04/05/15.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Myself and most here dont agree with that method of hunting.

but you didnt try to pass it off as something it wasnt, as you specifically said it was an estate elk,most of us know what you were referring to. No harm done.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by rosco1

Myself and most here dont agree with that method of hunting.

but you didnt try to pass it off as something it wasnt, as you specifically said it was an estate elk,most of us know what you were referring to. No harm done.

Couldn't have said it better

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Willflow- If you apply in arizona only; a more realistic goal is shooting 40 javelina or coues. it needs to be something you can get drawn for every year.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 15 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.