Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Guy posted these on GunBroker. I asked via PM how he'd managed the floating effect but he wouldn't answer.

Any ideas?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thx,
DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Houdini-like magic! grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not an expert by a long shot, but based on the shadowing my guess is two sections of 20 lb. fluorocarbon (think leader material for fishing) and three colors of magic marker to match the cloth's red, the stock's brown and the barrel's blue/black. Easy enough to trick the eye at the distance.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or maybe a clear plastic rod inserted into the barrel + minimal Photoshop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my guess would be KG's fishing line one...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

V
V
I'm thinkin two little stands of the right color could be PS out or blended really easily...

"Against stupidity, the gods themselves say, aww, 'fuvck it'"

Schadenfreude: “Tastes great! Less filling!”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Take the initial photo on a green cloth, and chroma key out the green. Layer the picture of the gun over the red cloth, and digitally add the shadow.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
Take the initial photo on a green cloth, and chroma key out the green. Layer the picture of the gun over the red cloth, and digitally add the shadow.

could but i doubt it in the above pics....chances are if someone did that the shadows in both pics woulf have similar densities....they instead look like an actual flash was used.....my guess is the guys set up is an overhead frame with two loops of very thin fishing line.....chances are alot of time you have minimal or even nothing to photoshop....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The shadow appears to be directly below (vertical) the shotgun yet the shadow reveals most of the horizontal outline of the shotgun. Meaning Photoshop and hence not that good since it is quite easy to erase fishing line or a rod into the barrel.

However, great way to showcase a firearm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
key word is appears, its not.......on the top photo if the top of the shotgun is 12, bottom 6, side facing the camera is 9 and the one away 3 the light is coming from bout 10:30-11, prolly mounted off the same frame thats holding the fishing line....

Last edited by rattler; 04/03/15.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
plus if yah got the green screen setup to pull off the above in photoshop, you have EVERY thing you need to do this exact real shot....only difference is the background is a red cloth instead of green......half hour work on a computer or 5 minutes for the real thing....which is more likely?

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

You sound like you know what you're talking about. Is this a professional opinion?

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There's more pictures. Gunbroker item: 474098879

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474098879

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
definitely real pics and not photoshoped other than maybe touch ups....would guess really fine fluorocarbon line...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler

could but i doubt it in the above pics....chances are if someone did that the shadows in both pics woulf have similar densities....they instead look like an actual flash was used.....my guess is the guys set up is an overhead frame with two loops of very thin fishing line.....chances are alot of time you have minimal or even nothing to photoshop....

Doubtful anyone at this level of photography will use a flash in this type of setup (i.e. softbox).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
look at all the pics, the red cloth changes hue with the intensity of the flash....if it is photoshop the guy is a dead nuts perfectionist and doesnt have a life.....check out his other auction and the pic of the scope box end on on the red cloth.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Photoshop makes things like that easy. Here's an example. This is an elk my partner shot years ago. The pic was taken in his garage, not the natural habitat of elk. He wanted it in the forest so I put it there. It came out pretty good for my 1st attempt. Someone with experience could do far better.

Take a photo of the gun, trim off the background, and paste it over the red photo. Add a detached shadow to give it the floating look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
definitely real pics and not photoshoped other than maybe touch ups....would guess really fine fluorocarbon line...

Obviously real pics and definitely photoshoped. I think the discussion is more about the setup and how photoshop could be used to replicate the picture. More than one way those photos could be produced.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as i said look at all the photos on the link DMc provided, if the guy isnt doing it the way i said or something similar, he has no life.....hours on the computer for an auction when a a few minutes in real life will do the same thing....for phug sake i was in the process of making a similar set up in my basement when i got divorced and im not a professional photographer.....the setup to do this for real just needs a chunk of space 4ft by 4ft by bout 6 ft to do his above pics and you have a permanent set up.....semi permanent, remove the cloth and you have a lighted work bench too(my plan)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
look at all the pics, the red cloth changes hue with the intensity of the flash....if it is photoshop the guy is a dead nuts perfectionist and doesnt have a life.....check out his other auction and the pic of the scope box end on on the red cloth.....

Angle of the camera compared to position of the lights; and the camera's metering point(s).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 58 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,659
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.