Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just my opinion, but I think Ted Cruz will quickly move into a close statistical tie with a varying group of 20-30 percent first place candidates.
Rand Paul will take his run at it this week.
I don't see anybody breaking though the present rather low ceiling until after the first debate in August.

“Exclusive–Inside Ted Cruz’s Campaign HQ: How Texas Firebrand Plans to Win by Breaking All the Rules”
Breitbart TV 4/6/15 HOUSTON, Texas
— About six or seven hundred hardcore conservatives gathered outside the new Houston campaign headquarters for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) last Tuesday, an event at which he showed off his presidential prospects as the first declared candidate for 2016.

Cruz, the true Washington outsider, has had a hugely successful first two weeks as the first declared candidate for the White House—raising millions of dollars, hiring key staff, and building a formidable operation, all while sticking true to his aggressive conservatism. Cruz has shaken up Washington, the political class, and the media establishment by essentially proving since his announcement that contrary to inside-the-beltway elitist belief, he is in fact a very viable candidate for president of the United States.

“I think we are certainly trying to do everything possible to energize and mobilize the grassroots, to energize and mobilize millions of courageous conservatives,” Cruz said in an interview with Breitbart News.

“The greatest trick the left has ever played is to convince the world that America doesn’t share our values,” Cruz added. “America remains a fundamentally center-right country with Judeo-Christian values. And these are common sense principles that America was built upon, and just like in 1980 it took millions of men and women across this country to come together and become the Reagan Revolution. Likewise, today, it will take a similar army of courageous conservatives to result in the same sort of fundamental change we saw in 1980. Our nation is in crisis and the Washington elites cannot solve this problem. It can only come from the American people. That is where our focus and energy is directed, and I’m incredibly encouraged by the enthusiasm we’re seeing right now.”

The Wall Street Journal reported Cruz’s team has already raised about $4 million in its first two weeks—an extraordinarily impressive level of fundraising for the early stages of a presidential campaign. Part of the reason why that’s the case, Cruz and his top team members like campaign manager Jeff Roe told Breitbart News, is because it’s a campaign that’s going to break all the rules that White House hopefuls normally follow—in true outsider, Cruz fashion.

“The last person who announced the same time [in a quarter] that we announced was Tim Pawlenty [in 2012]. Pawlenty raised $160,000 in the first nine days of his presidential campaign. We did that within about the first 9 minutes of his speech,” Roe said.

That theme—break all the rules—permeates Cruz’s campaign and team.
“We view this race completely differently than most do,” Roe said. “If it’s a rule that’s in place, we want to break it.”
In addition, Cruz’s team is aiming to hire key grassroots activists in major states around the country to build a groundswell of support for his presidential campaign, rather than bring in political insiders. That way, in each key state, Cruz has devoted and loyal supporters fighting for him and his message, rather than just for a paycheck.
“What we are doing is we are hiring activists in these states,” Roe said. “We have activists who believe in the campaign who people in these local communities trust.”
[…]
“With the power of ‘We The People’ we will see Ted Cruz as the next president of the United States of America,” Rafael Cruz said. “Ted and his wife and his mother and myself, we appreciate greatly your support and I’ll tell you something: You will not be disappointed. He knows who he works for and he works for ‘We The People’ and in spite of the establishment in both parties it is ‘We The People’ who will put him in the White House so that working men and women across America will have a voice in Washington, D.C.”
[...]
“Thank you for the amazing welcome home,” Heidi Cruz said as she took the podium with the senator, to thunderous applause. “We’ve had a fabulous launch week and there’s nothing better than being home and we’re so grateful for your commitment, your time and your treasure for taking on this great cause—what is really a movement—that is not about us. It’s about changing our country. There’s nothing that makes me prouder than to join forces with all of you—an incredible team. I’ll tell you, being on the road last week with Ted, I was reminded like I was so many times over the past 15 years just how good this guy is.”

The crowd roared again.

“Why is he so good?” Heidi asked. “It comes down to basic things like how he really cares. He really believes and together we’re so proud to stand with you.”
Heidi stepped aside, handed the clip-on mic back to her husband, and the senator stood up to say: “God Bless Texas!”

[...]
With the crowd cheering every half sentence or so, Cruz fed off their energy as he reminisced about a week before he announced his campaign for president.

“The fact that you are here suggests to me that you don’t read the New York Times,” Cruz said. “Because the New York Times said we cannot win because apparently I am out of favor with the Washington elites. I have to admit I wanted to print their article, make 300 million Xeroxes and give one to every American voter. It may be the only time in history I’ve ever agreed with the New York Times.”

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Convincing Republicans that social issues are a losing strategy was one of the greatest tricks that the left ever pulled off. The Republicans have avoided them for 15 years and the left has shoved them down our throats.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shouldn't that just be Judeo values?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Telling the truth "breaks all the rules" for a politician for sure.

He's got my vote.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If by social issues you mean, gay marriage and abortion, then they are losing issues. I don't care much about them at all. Does that mean I'm a godless heathen. No, it simply means that Republican rhetoric has proved itself to be nothing more than pablum for the base.

If you want to win the marriage debate, remove marriage from the sphere of government influence. Get government out of marriage completely. Don't play into the hands of the opponents by frothing at the mouth about religious definitions of marriage that a substantial portion of the population does not believe.

As for abortion, well, the Republicans couldn't even manage to outlaw even the more egregious forms of it when they had the presidency, and large majorities in both the house and the senate. Why should this time be any different? Why are they serious about it now?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so what would Ted Cruz say is the answer to why the GOP hasn't won the white house against Obama?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeBob
If by social issues you mean, gay marriage and abortion, then they are losing issues. I don't care much about them at all. Does that mean I'm a godless heathen. No, it simply means that Republican rhetoric has proved itself to be nothing more than pablum for the base.

If you want to win the marriage debate, remove marriage from the sphere of government influence. Get government out of marriage completely. Don't play into the hands of the opponents by frothing at the mouth about religious definitions of marriage that a substantial portion of the population does not believe.

As for abortion, well, the Republicans couldn't even manage to outlaw even the more egregious forms of it when they had the presidency, and large majorities in both the house and the senate. Why should this time be any different? Why are they serious about it now?

Can't risk alienating part of the party:

http://www.logcabin.org/?s=marriage

We have always been serious about abortion:

http://www.ppactionca.org/issues/abortion.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
so what would Ted Cruz say is the answer to why the GOP hasn't won the white house against Obama?

"Republicans are doomed in 2016 if they again nominate a candidate like Mitt Romney or John McCain, Sen. Ted Cruz said Thursday.

Cruz, a tea party favorite who is considering a presidential bid, said his party needs to nominate a "strong conservative" to win back the White House in 2016. If not, Hillary Clinton will be president, he said in an interview on CNBC.

When asked if former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is too far to the left to fit the conservative bill, the junior senator from Texas said he is a "fan of Jeb Bush's" but added that "we need to learn from history."

"We need to look to history and what works and what doesn't and the one thing is clear is if Republicans run another candidate in the mold of a Bob Dole, or a John McCain, or a Mitt Romney — and let me be clear, all three of those are good, honorable men. They're decent men. They're patriots," Cruz said. "But if we run another candidate in the mold of a Bob Dole, or a John McCain, or Mitt Romney, we will end up with the same result, which is millions of people will stay home on Election Day."

"And if we run another candidate like that, Hillary Clinton will be president," Cruz said.

It's not the first time Cruz has criticized Dole, McCain and Romney's candidacies.

Just this spring at the Conservative Political Action Conference Cruz pointed to the three former nominees as examples of "when you don't stand and draw a clear distinction, when you don't stand for principle, Democrats celebrate."

Cruz drew fire from Dole and McCain for those remarks with Dole saying Cruz needed to "check the record before passing judgment."

On Thursday Cruz stressed the urgency of straying from the "mold" of those three past nominees because "there is an urgency. The states have never been higher."

"I think eight more years down this road we risk doing irreparable damage to the greatest nation in the history of the world," Cruz said."

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
If by "principle" you mean no gay marriage and no abortion, we lose? If by "principle" you mean smaller government, lower taxes, sound and more limited foreign policy, and more attention to civil liberties, then yes, we can win.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"President Reagan stood for conservative principles in a way that brought people together."
Ted Cruz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just watch who the left villainizes and vote for him.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
"President Reagan stood for conservative principles in a way that brought people together."
Ted Cruz

The principles he speaks of in action:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Reform_and_Control_Act_of_1986

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=37785

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/state...lt-weapon-bans/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Just watch who the left villainizes and vote for him.

Right? And give them money NOW.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Republicans are doomed in 2016 if they again nominate a candidate like Mitt Romney or John McCain, Sen. Ted Cruz said Thursday.

Cruz, a tea party favorite who is considering a presidential bid, said his party needs to nominate a "strong conservative" to win back the White House in 2016. If not, Hillary Clinton will be president, he said in an interview on CNBC.

When asked if former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is too far to the left to fit the conservative bill, the junior senator from Texas said he is a "fan of Jeb Bush's" but added that "we need to learn from history."

"We need to look to history and what works and what doesn't and the one thing is clear is if Republicans run another candidate in the mold of a Bob Dole, or a John McCain, or a Mitt Romney — and let me be clear, all three of those are good, honorable men. They're decent men. They're patriots," Cruz said. "But if we run another candidate in the mold of a Bob Dole, or a John McCain, or Mitt Romney, we will end up with the same result, which is millions of people will stay home on Election Day."

"And if we run another candidate like that, Hillary Clinton will be president," Cruz said.

It's not the first time Cruz has criticized Dole, McCain and Romney's candidacies.

Just this spring at the Conservative Political Action Conference Cruz pointed to the three former nominees as examples of "when you don't stand and draw a clear distinction, when you don't stand for principle, Democrats celebrate."

Cruz drew fire from Dole and McCain for those remarks with Dole saying Cruz needed to "check the record before passing judgment."

On Thursday Cruz stressed the urgency of straying from the "mold" of those three past nominees because "there is an urgency. The states have never been higher."

"I think eight more years down this road we risk doing irreparable damage to the greatest nation in the history of the world," Cruz said."

well I agree with him on that - but if we get another McCain /Romney type as a candidate (Jeb Bush or Chris Christie come to mind) how many here will still be telling me to vote for them and blaming Libertarians for Hillary getting elected?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If they run Jeb Bush or Chris Christie, they deserve what they get.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sherp
Ted Cruz

The principles he speaks of in action:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Reform_and_Control_Act_of_1986

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=37785

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/state...lt-weapon-bans/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

As anyone knows who looks at the Reagan record, his number one issue was to turn around the Left Liberal Carter agenda and win the Cold War. Everything else was secondary to that goal.
And he won his war but not without many compromises with the Tip O'Neil machine.

Reagan was the first to get suckered into a 3-1 ratio of spending cuts to tax increases. The spending cuts never happened. He did get much of his tax cuts that along with the end of the Cold War brought about the second longest peacetime economic expansion in U.S. history.

Reagan had to sign a lot liberal legislation to get to the core of what the country needed more than anything else.

Those who criticize Reagan act like they never heard of Tip O'Neil.

But the conservative voters understood very well what was happening and gave Ron the largest landslide second election...ever.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

well I agree with him on that - but if we get another McCain /Romney type as a candidate (Jeb Bush or Chris Christie come to mind) how many here will still be telling me to vote for them and blaming Libertarians for Hillary getting elected?

Well, basically all of us that are devout Conservative Republicans and not some POS libertarian that wants to force everyone to smoke pot and do away with common sense firearms safety laws.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Those are the same Republicans that are responsible for the last two losses. You don't expect them to ever accept responsibility do you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Those are the same Republicans that are responsible for the last two losses. You don't expect them to ever accept responsibility do you?

Nope, it is entirely his fault. In addition to all of the 3rd party votes that Romney was entitled to(that KFWA stole from him), Obama still would have won by about 31 million votes which was(once again) directly the fault of KFWA for not producing that many children prior to 1994 and forcing them to vote Romney in 2012.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 48 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,662
Posts18,534,060
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.