-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The local churches here, mine included, all under the umbrella of the cumberland baptist association participate in the FUEL program. A second offering basket comes around- that money buys healthy snacks and it's bagged up to get identified kids through a weekend until they can get back to school. The school has the lists and the kids get their backpack provisions discreetly on Fridays before the bus ride home.

It's all fully funded by local churches, and the schools in our area fully support it.

Regardless of the politics or associations involved. I have no idea if other denominations contribute.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Here the school system encourages kids to apply for free lunch, because the government reimburses the system more per free lunch than the price of the meal. What amazed me was that often the kids on free lunch had the most spending money. I did have some needy kids who rarely or never had spending money. I would often create a little job for them to do and then buy them snacks at afternoon break.

It's not just the free lunch. They get money for additional programs based on the number that qualify for the free lunches. The more poor kids in a school, the more "free" federal money they get.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There's a lot of reasons, including fraud and corruption within the school districts.

Our district last year had the woman that was in charge of the cafeterias and food programs assets, stealing on average of $2,200 per day, four out of every five day's she worked, for some 12 years.

Due to Statute of Limitations, they could only stick her with the funds stolen within the last 3 years, if I remember right it was 1.5 million out of some 4 million she was thought to have walked away with.

Phil

R
rong Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
that's a lot of funds to go unchecked for so long.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yep, and though they say unrelated, District is not allowed to discuss the non renewal of contracts for quite a few employees if I remember right, including the District Supervisor and his aid.

A lot going on in that district over the last couple years.

Phil

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In the Northwest Arctic Borough School District 100% of the students are on free breakfast and lunches, if they (or their parents) choose to partake. Lots of fat kids, too. And lots of kids who don't get food at home.... One student told the cook he had to eat those two meals a day at school because his family was starting to save to buy a house. Hey- I can kinda applaud that! Shows some initiative and financial planning (depending on what ELSE they are doing with their money).

As noted above about parents....... there are even several millionaires in Kotzebue, whose kids partake of the free feedings. It's just so much easier administratively to go 100% than filter out the ones who wouldn't really qualify, so I don't quibble about that.

However, there seems to be plenty of drug and booze money in town, $ for flying to Anchorage for a few days, , $30,000 "subsistence" boats, $8,000 ATVs, $10,000 high performance snowmachines, etc....

I no longer have a kid in school, and am riding a 20 year old Bravo and 10 year old Honda 4-wheeler.... I have a boat in my living room ("Rubber-Ducky"), but need a motor.... smile

When my wife was teaching in the classroom, she was spending up to $2,000 a year on classroom supplies, lunches and clothes for needy students, etc. and that was down on the Kenai peninsula - civilized country! When we were still supporting our own kids.

Now that she is a highly paid Central Office Administrator (Special Services) up here....I don't want to know! I do know I haul a helluva bunch of Pampers, formula, cheap holiday presents, candies, etc. per order back from Anchorage almost every trip, none of which we use! Some is re-imbursed, but.... I NEVER look at her credit card statement... and she pays the bills. Makes most of the money too, so .... Pphhhbbtt! smile

I agree completely - Don't breed 'em if you can't feed 'em!

What's that sig-line about chicklets and teeth????

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you teach lower income and you AIN'T continually out-of-pocket for the kids you teach then you ain't normal.

JMHO

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Would you please post before I waste all that time/

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by slumlord
The local churches here, mine included, all under the umbrella of the cumberland baptist association participate in the FUEL program. A second offering basket comes around- that money buys healthy snacks and it's bagged up to get identified kids through a weekend until they can get back to school. The school has the lists and the kids get their backpack provisions discreetly on Fridays before the bus ride home.

It's all fully funded by local churches, and the schools in our area fully support it.

Regardless of the politics or associations involved. I have no idea if other denominations contribute.

Wait, What, you go to church?

Last edited by BossHawg; 04/10/15.

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rong
The reason that these kids are hungry is that their parents are using their welfare to buy drugs and other stuff for themselves.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

R
rong Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
seems to be the general response,although a very sad one ..

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't believe for a minute it's the welfare kids going hungry around here. Every damn time I go to the grocery store I get behind somebody with their cart heaped to overflowing and they invariably pull out an EBT card. The folks that work for a living usually have a couple bags worth or less. I heard a report on the radio on my way to work one morning that a single mother of three is eligible for 80,000 dollars worth of benefits a year here. Meanwhile the median personal income in this County is 23,000 per year for women and 27,000 for men. Nope, I ain't buyin' it that it's the welfare kids going hungry. Not for one damn minute.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,449
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.