Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JimF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well......it was a pain carrying more gear than I really needed or even wanted but it was intentional and I made some decisions that will save weight later. I started the first stage with 48 lbs (4 liters water). By the end of the trek, I was flying down the trail with 40 lbs in the pack. This trek was good for decisions and great training. I could do this trek with (I think) about 38 lbs total if I had a lighter backpack. (4500 cu in @ 4 lbs or less--I'm lookin')

Ultra-Lite bedroom. 3:14oz

Fully succesful. The 13 oz. (fill wt) WM bag in conjunction with the Bibler winter bivvy was good down to freezing with no clothing other than wicking t-shirt and capiline boxers. (I did wear a base layer weight beanie) It froze three nights running (just barely) but never needed to add any layers. Did not need the para-tarp so I never set it up. The REI air core pad was very comfortable. Now I don't know whether to keep the BA that I have or this this WM. The BA is roomier, but heavier.

Marmot "wind pro" fleece.

Fully successful, this is a great garment for me. This garment is really about like an Exp wt. top but is about 80% wind resistant. This garment will boot the puffball vest (and) my mid wt capiline out of my summer gear. I wore this in the eve. while reading (no fire) and never needed the vest. It was also the first thing that went on before I crawled out in the AM. A couple of times, I added the Dragonfly pullover as the down canyon breeze picked up. eve temps were low 40's-high30's. I tried putting it on (in the bag) one cold night when I started to get a little cold, but it was too warm so I just cinched up the hood on the bag and cocooned a little more and I was fine.

MSR Pocket Rocket:

Not a new item, but wanted to test fuel life. One canister did 5 1/2 days boiling water for breakfast and dinner plus tea. No simmering however.

Freezer Bag cooking:

The way to go. I never cleaned a pot or a bowl all week. Home brewed breakfast and dinner menus were nutritious and fully cooked in the bag. I wrapped the bag in my beanine and my stove carrying bag. Ready to eat in 8-10 mins. "Bag-O-Tuna" was a great addition to my cous-cous evening meal. Surprisingly, dried refried beans added good taste and nutrition as well.

Insulated mug:

A luxury but worth it. Tea stayed hot about 1/2 hour while sitting and reading.

Socks:

Head to head, my standby Wigwan Merinos were my favorite, but the Smartwools and the Patagonias were also very very good and I wouldn't hesitate to use them interchangeably. I now have three sock choices.

Bear Canister:

Royal PITA to carry and it added over 3 lbs. It (IS) however, probably the way to go in this region where bears are such a problem. I have to admit it is convenient to just uscrew the lid anytime you want something from the food stash. It beats hauling down the bag, then hanging again. Also, in this area, the bears are able to defeat most hang techniques.

Really successful trip. My training this summer (running) helped big time. The scenery here was spectacular, and the fishing was excellent. This will not be my last trip to this area. I think I (may) even have a new direction for deer hunting in the future.

JimF

Last edited by JimF; 08/22/06.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,

Thanks for the Gear Report. One question, which Marmot fleece jacket was it? Aproximate weight?
I looked on line last night and didn't come up with what I thought would be a correct match (probably just me).

Thanks in advance,
Dan

JimF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dan:

It's called the "Micro-T" it is not sold as an outer garment but it works well for me while it is warm-cool.

It goes 12 oz. in sz. XL

JimF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jim.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could do this trek with (I think) about 38 lbs total if I had a lighter backpack. (4500 cu in @ 4 lbs or less--I'm lookin')

Jim, Ed T absolutely swears by the Granite Gear Stratus Latitude... it's a bit above the weight your after (4lbs 14oz's) but does hold 4800 ci's. We've emailed a bit about this pack and Ed maintains it's the most comfortable pack he's ever used. He KNOWS gear so I put a lot of stock in his opinion's.

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/light/stratus_latitude/index.html

May want to PM or email him...

IC B2

JimF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good tip, I trust Ed's judgement too.

I was out "in search of" yesterday and so far am not getting close. I tried a Gregory "Z" and the suspension was OK @ 30# but too small in volume despite their claims. Many of the new UL packs rely upon the mesh and or stretch "pockets" for part of the listed capacity. Problem there is, that when the main bag is full, the outside panels and pockets don't have much capacity left.

Another issue is the bear can. When it is a tight fit in the bottom of the pack, it really messes up the fit by limiting the "wrapping" effect of the waist belt in conjunction with the lumbar pad(s)

I was looking at the GG site and want to find a Nimbus Ozone to do a trial load up but I suspect that it may be too small as well. I may have to raise my weight limit some.

JimF

Last edited by JimF; 08/23/06.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, if I were in the "UL" mode the Nimbus Ozone is probably the way I'd go. So many of the UL packs are Gossamar light torture chambers!

Edit: was surfing around and found this sale on the Nimbus Ozone (20% off)... I've ordered from these folks before.

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/servlet/the-339/Granite-Gear-Ozone-Nimbus/Detail

JimF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Brad:

I just tried on a Nimbus Access FZ. (fancier version of the one you mention) It was a 90% winner except the fit of the waist belt was not good. The belt had a gap at the junction of the lumbar pad and also at the waist/pelvis area, only about 1/2 of the width of the pad was load bearing. This comes from the belt not being a conical cut. Everything else (load ergonomics, volume, shoulder strap fit, etc.) was very good. Better belt fit, and I'd have it home right now.

I tried on a Marmot T-4000 (spin off of a Gleason design) but it was terrible across the shoulder blades. It had a sharp, horizontal line from the back panels that could not be adjusted out.

Also, tried an Osprey Aether 60...................hoo boy!!!!

Now I'm getting somewhere. (3800 Cu In, 3 lb. 15 oz. $199) The pack wrapped like an isotoner glove. This is the best wrap and fit I have ever tried bar none. Only concern was that the got-dagnit Bear Can would not go horizontal but would only fit vertically. This messed up the packing ergonomics. I'm going to repack my gear in different sizes and increments and see what happens. Also may try to find an Aether 70 as an option for a trial load. I think with a readjustment of my load packaging/configuration, I may be there. As far as fit, THIS IS IT.

Pack fit is personal of course, but I felt like I could trail run with this one. (not that I'd do THAT of course)

JimF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a 2004 Aether 60 (Size Large) NWT for sale a couple days ago for $95 shipped... didn't know you were in the market! It sold in a couple of hours.

[Linked Image]

I know where a few Aether 75's can be had... what size?

I've got a nearly new 2001 US made Gregory Reality for sale too (size L).

[Linked Image]

JimF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't in the market for one (until about an hour ago)

I don't see an Aether 75 in their listings (I do see an Ariel 75) I'm about a 19" torso so that's a medium on their scale.

JimF

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.