Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Friends, I seldom post on the Savage forum, mostly because I don't know a lot about the finer points of Savage Arms. However, I totally appreciate and love 99s, so I lurk.

That said, there is an article in the most recent Guns magazine that most of you would enjoy. The title of the article is Guns With Character. The piece was written by my very good friend and hunting pal, Holt Boddinson and it's about a Savage 99 in .32-40. Apparently, the original owner was one heck of a hunter and he had the rifle customized to suit his needs in the field.

In many ways, the customizing is as interesting as the rifle itself.

By the way, Holt is the real deal. He is about as knowledgeable a gun writer as I know and he is an incredible hunter. Holt also has a love of old and arcane firearms, so he brings a lot of interesting lore to each piece he writes.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention the article.

Easter Blessings,

Steve

Last edited by dogzapper; 04/15/15.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the heads up, Steve! We're always on the lookout for any articles talking about or referring to Savages.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I believe it will be of great interest. The front sight is one I'd never seen before ... and I like it. The tang sight is downright delicious and the barrel band is incredibly inventive.

Yeah, it's kinda messed-up from a collector's perspective, but Holt makes the point that all of the "enhancements" were done for a very good reason.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Thanks for the heads up, Steve! We're always on the lookout for any articles talking about or referring to Savages.
Here it is!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would have been 26" originally. Doesn't look like a "26 inch" brl. now or is it just me?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I believe it will be of great interest. The front sight is one I'd never seen before ... and I like it. The tang sight is downright delicious and the barrel band is incredibly inventive.

Yeah, it's kinda messed-up from a collector's perspective, but Holt makes the point that all of the "enhancements" were done for a very good reason.

That looks like the Marbles Improved Front Sight. They originally just called it the Marbles Front Sight for a brief period in advertisements. It is the first, or one of the first, front sights Marble marketed in the early 1900s.

Looks like a neat article.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Guess I should have read the whole thing first!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice article except it was a 1899C ,not a 99C. smile

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for posting the article. I appreciate writer/hunters who will still take the time to research and write about an older firearm like that. Whenever I see a new gun mag that has an article on an older gun, I usually pick it up. Maybe because I'm a history buff and love antiques, I just enjoy hunting with an older firearm that has character. Can't seem to get into the latest and greatest synthetic offerings! The usual chirp I get at camp is "the museum called and they want their gun back"!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes that's the Marbles Improved Front Sight. That's what's on my 1926 F T/D in 303, Joe.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hoover99
Thanks for posting the article. I appreciate writer/hunters who will still take the time to research and write about an older firearm like that. Whenever I see a new gun mag that has an article on an older gun, I usually pick it up. Maybe because I'm a history buff and love antiques, I just enjoy hunting with an older firearm that has character. Can't seem to get into the latest and greatest synthetic offerings! The usual chirp I get at camp is "the museum called and they want their gun back"!

Hoover,

I have known and hunted with Holt for many years. We don't get together often enough, but when we do we surely celebrate the moment.

YES, Holt totally loves and relishes the old, the arcane and the unusual. He knows so much about firearms that interest you and me that it is almost spooky. He's one of the few good guys ... please trust me on that.

One thing we must keep in mind when looking at this kind of firearm. Don't forget that the original purchaser could easily walk into Smith's Hardware and buy another. It was not a collectible firearm to him; it was a shooter. And if he screwed up, he could easily buy another, and another, until he got it right.

Dang it, I love that front sight!!!

Steve

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like me and Holt would get along well. I like guns with character or a backstory a LOT.

It's sad, I think I have a gun with that sight but can't remember which one. grin
You'd like the 3-way rotating King sight also.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting it for the rest of the folks. I have the article in hand and never thought to post it as my thought was that most folks here would subscribe. Obviously not. Great post.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks Steve, I also love the old ones, I do have that front sight, as new in the envlope just dont have the right gun to put it on yet! Ill have to read the story on the 32-40!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 7 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.