Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I tip my hat to true warriors, regardless of their nation of origin.

Canada has without a doubt given the world some first class fighting men.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My little brother still hunts hogs with his .303 quite a bit.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I turned my nose up at the 303 British for quite a few years. Then I bought a Longbranch number 4 mk1 that shot shot like a house on fire.

I sold it like an idiot, but I have a distinct respect for the cartridge.

I carried it hunting deer for a season or two before I sold it. THe truth is, I had complete confidence in the cartridge.

Anything a 308 can do in the game fields, the 303 can do as well.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SNAP
That is the monument, known here as *Vancouver Corner* with the brooding soldier statue. It was supposed to be the standard icon for all Canadian memorials on *The Western Front*, but, for some reason, it was the only such one erected.

Second Ypres, or, as I usually think of it, *St. Julien*, where the British Army, lost a mere 54,000 men.....

I think it is the French, Belgians, etc. who really owe all of we Commonwealth people beyond measure.

The Canucks were and still are some of the best fighting men the world has ever known . Great Soldiers

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shot my first deer with a .303, No 1 Lee Enfield, but even though there are quite a few still being used in Canada, I believe it is a cartridge and rifle best suited to collectors of history and not the hunting fields. The cartridge is certainly capable, my dad shot loads of moose and some deer and a few elk with his. I just gave one away to a buddy a few weeks ago. He was with the British military for much of his career and loved the history of the rifle and cartridge.

IC B2

S
S
I still hunt with my old NO 1 MK III from time to time

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
My 1st centerfire rifle was a SMLE with a cannister of 400 cordite rounds tossed in for $40.

It was the same rig my grandfather carried at Gallipoli. He was wounded, but one of the few survivors from the 18th Battalion, 100 years ago.

He died at 82 still carrying a Turkish bullet after sustaining a chest shot.

The .303 has an astonishing record.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
My 1st centerfire rifle was a SMLE with a cannister of 400 cordite rounds tossed in for $40.

It was the same rig my grandfather carried at Gallipoli in the all by 3 survivors, 18th Battalion 100 years ago.

The .303 has an astonishing record.

I am in awe of your grandfather and that unit. That battle isn't much known in the states, but it should be. It ranks as one of the fiercest in history.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by castnblast
I shot my first deer with a .303, No 1 Lee Enfield, but even though there are quite a few still being used in Canada, I believe it is a cartridge and rifle best suited to collectors of history and not the hunting fields. The cartridge is certainly capable, my dad shot loads of moose and some deer and a few elk with his. I just gave one away to a buddy a few weeks ago. He was with the British military for much of his career and loved the history of the rifle and cartridge.

Can you explain this, please?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks 4ager.
Penicillin wasn't yet invented so the put him in a bath of oidine hoping this "drawing agent" would move the bullet to a point where surgery could remove it.

It entered under his right arm, wound around internally inside his ribs and lodged between the heart and spine where they could not go 100 years ago.

The wound eventually started to heal so they fattened him up with a high fat fiet and told him it would stabilize the bullet and hold it there and he would likely die 0of a heart attack in later years.

Sounds very silly by todays standard but it was a century ago.
John

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn. Just, damn.

How long did he live, if you don't mind me asking?

He's probably lucky that they didn't do surgery, though. He might not have survived the cure at all.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks 4ager.
Penicillin wasn't yet invented so the put him in a bath of oidine hoping this "drawing agent" would move the bullet to a point where surgery could remove it.

It entered under his right arm, wound around internattly inside his ribs and lodged betwee the heart and spine where they could not go 100 years ago.

The wound eventually started to heal so they fattened him up with a high fat fiet and told him it would stabilize the bullet and hold it there and he would likely die 0of a heart attack in later years.

Sounds very silly by todays standard but it was a century ago.
John

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 4ager
Damn. Just, damn.

How long did he live, if you don't mind me asking?

He's probably lucky that they didn't do surgery, though. He might not have survived the cure at all.

He lived until he was 82. It was a hard war with reports than many went insane from the butchery that took place.

The Turks have so much respect for the Aussies they have a permanent preserve there called Lone Pine.
The centenial services will take place there in the 25th, which is Anzac Day.(ANZAC for Australian and New Zealans Army Corps)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Who still hunts deer with the 303 Brit?

That Steve guy from Canada will likely show here sooner or later. He's the one to ask.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
His name's Steve Redgwell, and he's got a website, 303british.com.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/23/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I I believe it is a cartridge and rifle best suited to collectors of history and not the hunting fields. The cartridge is certainly capable,

The Lee enfield rifles I have used or handled are old and loose, the chambers are huge and sloppy, the triggers gritty and bumpy with a long take-up, the rifles can't be scoped efficiently, the stock beats a shooter up, they are too heavy, and generally not very accurate. The cartridge is rimmed, not a good fit for any other bolt action design.
I would love to have a good modern single shot in .303, or maybe a double, but the rimmed cartridge is a silly choice to convert a modern bolt action rifle to. So, while I have some nostalgia for both the cartridge and the rifle, I have used them and they hold no more fascination for me.
Anything that a .308 Win can do the .303 did many times long before, so it's not about killing ability. I think the .303 British SMLE is a wonderful piece of our history but does not compare well with more modern designs. That's just me, others can continue using their .303 SMLE's and I'm sure they will kill lots of game and enjoy it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I I believe it is a cartridge and rifle best suited to collectors of history and not the hunting fields. The cartridge is certainly capable,

The Lee enfield rifles I have used or handled are old and loose, the chambers are huge and sloppy, the triggers gritty and bumpy with a long take-up, the rifles can't be scoped efficiently, the stock beats a shooter up, they are too heavy, and generally not very accurate. The cartridge is rimmed, not a good fit for any other bolt action design.
I would love to have a good modern single shot in .303, or maybe a double, but the rimmed cartridge is a silly choice to convert a modern bolt action rifle to. So, while I have some nostalgia for both the cartridge and the rifle, I have used them and they hold no more fascination for me.
Anything that a .308 Win can do the .303 did many times long before, so it's not about killing ability. I think the .303 British SMLE is a wonderful piece of our history but does not compare well with more modern designs. That's just me, others can continue using their .303 SMLE's and I'm sure they will kill lots of game and enjoy it.

Gotcha. So, it's not the cartridge but the rifle that you meant when you were saying it is best left to collectors. On some levels, I agree with you. However, having a rifle within the inventory that is about as reliable as a stone axe and that fires a round with the proven capability to take everything on the planet (and the .303B has done so) is not necessarily a bad thing and certainly not a bad back-up option to have on hand.

The round in something like a Ruger #1, however, is still just as capable today as it has always been (perhaps more so, with the availability of better powders, bullets, and the stronger action).

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agreed! about the reliability thing... I keep a #4 SMLE at our bush camp for a "just in case" rifle, and I know it will always go bang when the trigger is pulled. It was used with serious intent on an elk hunt a couple years ago when a guest forgot his rifle's trigger lock key. Glad we can rely on it as a spare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had several 303 British. Just have a single smelly now. The rifle is accurate and has similar power as the 308 and the 8x57 mouser (AKA Killer of mice).

My smelly is never going to have a scope on it while I own it. It is a back up rifle and it sits over the rear entrance door-way most of the year with suitable for deer or varmint loads in it. I kinda like it there.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used one on a "pick-up hunt" in Canada when I was in graduate school in the late 1960s. It worked fine, but felt recoil was much greater than with my pre-64 Model 70 Fwt .30-06 in the closet back home in Texas. As far as I can see, the only reasons for using a SMLE these days are economy and nostalgia.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (17CalFan, 1936M71, 12savage, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,980
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.