Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I've been in dust-ups both as a Soldier and a Cop. BIG difference. ENORMOUS difference. Hand to hand as a soldier are over very quickly. You either make your kill or you are killed. No fancy stuff. RESTRAINING somebody otoh is a real bastard. To really survive the terminal hand to hand, one has to have an extremely harsh attitude.

I heard that on a Spike TV reality show. MMA fighter trained with Marines in their hand to hand course. The Marine stated very confidently, "we don't train for points, we train to kill as fast as possible."

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As others have said before, at 63 I am not what I once was.

I try to be watchful and observant, don't go out much at night

and carry daily.

But on the flip side,

[Linked Image]

Beware the old fart in the green vest.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/18/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Some very good points Doc, as well as some excellent points/ comments by the other posters.
Before I went into law enforcement, I was a member of a college judo team. Came in very handy out on the streets. Like was said, alot more about grapling, etc. than actual blows. However, effective blows, particularly when out numbered, can be crucial. Hate to tell you what I did and what used. Let's just say if I had an opening I took it. I'm still here. BTW, never hit anyone with your fist unless it's something "soft" like a nose, etc. You'll break your hand on his jaw and then you can't use that hand for weapons like guns.
Like somebody said, he who moves first, usually wins. You really need to see it coming. Above all, your intial, first move must be effective. If it isn't, you are real danger of losing in a very bad way.
Yes, your opponent will try to take any weapons from you and probably will use them on you. When I went through my police training, we were told that 80% of the cops shot dead were killed with their own weapons.
Last of all, never worry about using excessive force. I've seen people die over such concerns. At worse, remember, "I can can explain anything but my own death."
Yes, I, too, have had to fight for my life and my weapons hand to hand. More than a couple of times. I've seen others try this and some of them failed. We buried a few of them. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hand-to-hand?

Don't let those you don't know close with you
Know your surroundings, particularly behind you
Eyes, throat, crotch
Gun trumps knife trumps hands & feet
The better part of valor
Bigger, younger, fitter wins
and best
It looks bad, so I won't go there

A good article for those of us who still get to experience the thrill of being there, but most of us do best having a little healthy paranoia and caution.
And us others have said, being max nasty in a fight not avoided.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I've been in dust-ups both as a Soldier and a Cop. BIG difference. ENORMOUS difference. Hand to hand as a soldier are over very quickly. You either make your kill or you are killed. No fancy stuff. RESTRAINING somebody otoh is a real bastard. To really survive the terminal hand to hand, one has to have an extremely harsh attitude.

Yeah several videos showing police can take more time in eliminating their enemies than soldiers get to do.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

Last of all, never worry about using excessive force.

You got that right!!!

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
At my advanced age and with several physical problems, if someone attacks me, I'll just have to call on my old and very dear friends, Col. Colt and his Nine Little Sisters, to help me.

[Linked Image]

wink

L.W.

But if the guy is able to get his hands on you, you still need to skills to retain and draw you weapon so you are able to put 2 in his guts.

Have you considered what that might look like?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What does this mean: "either on the ground or in the clinch"?

The Clinch:
[Linked Image]

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Experienced streetfighters, like cops and bouncers, avoid going to the ground if at all possible because someone will come out of the crowd and use your melon for a football.

The bad guy has some say in how the fight will proceed, it is probably a good idea to have a plan to solve an entangled engagement and create space to allow other options like your gun or knife etc.

If you can go full out for 1 minute you are a badass.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by eh76
If you get me on the ground and squeeze me you might get more than you bargained for whistle think toxic cloud laugh

Damnit, man, don't post stuff like that when I'm in the middle of drinking a soda...

Hey sometimes reality can be brutal. All in all I won't let you take me down easy and it may get rank. wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Experienced streetfighters, like cops and bouncers, avoid going to the ground if at all possible because someone will come out of the crowd and use your melon for a football.

The bad guy has some say in how the fight will proceed, it is probably a good idea to have a plan to solve an entangled engagement and create space to allow other options like your gun or knife etc.

mike r

Yep, put the perp on the ground first like was done here:

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rut-roh, I just heard there might be a negro in a pickup truck headed for North Central Florida and he hates pit bulls...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is the truth right there.

One time I had to peel a thug off one of my buddies. I was this close to going for 3 pts with his head when I realized it probably wasn't worth murder charges.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
At age 67, multiple damaged vertebrae; [C3-7,T7-10,L1-5, L6-S1]-3 herniated discs, 2 heart attacks, 1 stent[LAD] and Bi-lateral Neuropathy plays hell with trying to protect myself today as I was able to do in my younger days.
I do everything possible to avoid confrontation of any degree. If, however it becomes evident that aggressive behavior and/or physical contact toward my person is eminent, then a call for immediate assistance is necessitated:
My preferred prescription is a High-Potency Super Vitamin; A 230gr .45 cal. pill; Semi-conical nose with wide, deep dish; Copper clad w/lead core. Administered at the velocity of 975 feet per second, as a last resort. 2nd dose rarely required.
WILL.
Retired-15 yrs. Ga. Dept. Corrections; I don't have time to deal with foolish people playing stupid games.

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been training in MMA for 18 years now. I've come to the following conclusion...If you know you're not in the physical condition to fight...and by that I mean that you don't train/fight every week...then you need to make sure you've got your gun out and pointed before someone who is trained gets close enough to touch you if they know or suspect you have a gun. If you don't have your gun out (and you're not an exceptionally strong individual) then I don't think you'll be able to draw it and if you started to it might get taken away from you (again, if they know or suspect you have a gun). If they don't consider the possibility of you having a gun then it's more likely you'll be able to get it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blueeyes

Retired-15 yrs. Ga. Dept. Corrections; I don't have time to deal with foolish people playing stupid games.

Glad we got nationwide concealed carry for you.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fla-deadly-theater-shooting-texting-son-article-1.1720738

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

mike r

100% I was a bouncer for 5 years in my early 20s, i learned real quick to judge who was bluffing and who was really a bad dude. I always acted 1st. If I thought it was someone bluffing, i could usually grab them quick and introduce them to the door. If it was someone intent on getting into it, id watch thier hand wiht my arms crossed but my right hand close to my chin, from here as soon as I saw a hand move, i would deliver a very quick powerful elbow to the jaw. im not sure how many guys i knocked out that way, but it was more than 10 less than 20 probably. I always carried an ASP and had to use it more than i would have liked. A large guy (6'3 265) vs me (5'10 220) had a broken bottle and was trying his best to cut as many people as possible, stopping him included breaking his arm with a 36" asp with a 2oz tip. and another 10-12 strikes to take him down so the other guys could hold onto him. If i would have wanted to kill him, i could have easily split his stupid skull with that asp.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
If you don't have your gun out (and you're not an exceptionally strong individual) then I don't think you'll be able to draw it and if you started to it might get taken away from you (again, if they know or suspect you have a gun).

Agreed.

A man with a 1911 in a Milt Sparks holster on his hip is going to be toast if he's late recognizing the threat in the two teenage kids walking toward him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
If you don't have your gun out (and you're not an exceptionally strong individual) then I don't think you'll be able to draw it and if you started to it might get taken away from you (again, if they know or suspect you have a gun).

Agreed.

A man with a 1911 in a Milt Sparks holster on his hip is going to be toast if he's late recognizing the threat in the two teenage kids walking toward him.

Yep, best for LE to shoot anyone within 21 feet of them even if the officer is the cause for that lack of distance.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
rut-roh, I just heard there might be a negro in a pickup truck headed for North Central Florida and he hates pit bulls...

Ruh-roh!!! grin

But seriously, I've enjoyed reading the replies from all and sundry. Since I'm not a guy who's been in a lot of dust-ups, it's educational to read what some more experienced members have had to share.

But I've had a good bit of LE defensive tactics training, and learned early on that I'm not good enough at it to survive a serious fight with an opponent who is more skilled and stronger than I.

The only exception to this rule was at a LE conference after my first divorce, where I got into a lively discussion with a ginger-haired female defensive tactics instructor who kept trying to rassle with me at the bar. Eventually I had to cry "uncle" and take her up to my room, where we rassled to a mutually satisying draw. It was without a doubt my most enjoyable defensive tactics lesson ever.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,265
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.