Print Thread
Hop To
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
What I do now is to quickly wipe off each case with a soft rag. Is this really necessary or is retumbling the best way to go to remove One Shot from my brass after resizing?. If so, media also has fine particles that attach themselves to and into the case during tumbling. So....am I wiping either lube or media dust off the brass in either situation so it's a lose-lose deal?

Some may say they don't care about removing it at all. I just can't go there because deep in the ole' mind, I can visualize a miniscule amount of lube attaching itself to the chamber each time when going into battery. It's got to have some effect, whether 1,000 rounds later or 10,000. I know that One Shot is ultra thin and it dries and all that...actually it's been wonderful to work with. But thin has to become less thin at some point. Hell, just compare our cholesterol counts from 10 years ago to now. Same idea....at least in my mind. Just came up with that. Damn good analagy. Sorry.....

The other obvious concern is that it would attract more dust, sand, carbon deposits if allowed to build up in my chamber. I do clean my AR as needed, but don't want to have to more than is needed if these concerns are realized while varmint hunting. Too busy vaporizing varmints to clean more than I do now. Just me and maybe it's a non-issue for most or some, but me is who I'm dealing with (no sarcastic remarks necessary.....grin). I blame the USMC and mom for this sh**!!. Not necessairly in that order.

Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Throw me a bone.......!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd definitely remove it. Lube on the case can raise pressures considerably.

I use a wax-like substance instead of that sticky crap. It's easier to remove and at least as slick.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use a soft rag after the cases come out of the resizing die I install primers in a seperatte step with a hand priming tool so it is really no bother. The way I do it is after tumbeling I lube then resize, knocking out the old primer. Then with a rag in my hand I take each case wipe it while checking and cleaning the primer pocket with a brush. I then reprime and go to the next die. I have always used a single stage press because I can do much better inspections at each stage that way, I have been kicking areound the idea of getting a turret press, just to save time setting dies. Removable top plates let you set all your dies in advance. I just do not know if I want to go to the expense of all them top plates or not. Maybe I need to get rid of a few firearms? Oh yea if you dampen the rag with a little alcohol it helps but make sure it has all evaporated from the case before charging.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the suggestions.

Looks like cleaning after resizing is the way to go. Figured that, but was hoping for a less time consuming alternative. I spend many days after summer dog' hunting forays reloading a few thousand rounds and cutting that time by a bit would have been a blessing.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hey magnumb, how you been?

I throw my cases back into the tumbler after resizing. At least when they are in the tumbler it frees me up to do other things. I used to wipe them down by hand, only did that a few times and figured there had to be a better way. You made anymore trips east?

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Howdy Shortcamp!

Made a total of three trips to Montana this Spring/Summer. Go to Predators/Varmints and look at "Red Sky Montana". That was my third and I guess, last trip this year. Maybe one more, but probably not.

So tumbling after resizing is the way you go. Interesting, knowing how much you pay attention to detail as well. I may have to try that because it is a PITA to wipe down all those cases. Are they deprimed at that point or do you wait till after they're resized and then tumbled to de-prime so as not to get media in the flash hole? De-priming can happen at any point up to priming so it doesn't bother me either way.

Good talking with you again. By the way....I ordered another 5,000 V-Max 50's the other day from Midsouth for $23.32 per 250. A steal nowadays. Just a thought if you're in need. Other places have them up to $37.00 per 250!! Sign of the times. Also found Widener's to be a great place for powder and primer purchases. Nice people, quick service, good prices.....IMHO.

Take care Shortcamp and don't stay away for so long. Thought you'd got stuck in PD hole or something.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
magnumb,

No I didn't get stuck, been very busy though. When I have fired brass and I pick up alot at the range ie, military and law enforcement, the first step I do is to deprime using the RCBS universal decaping die. Then I throw it in the tumbler till clean. Then I resize using one shot, trim and/or cut primer crimp if necessary then back into the tumbler to take off lube and a little more cleaning. When ready I take them out of the tumbler, clean the primer pocket/hole real quick with a ice pick, then use compressed air to blow out any remaining material. I then reprime, powder and seat bullet. I'm not sure if this is the best way, but it is the best way I have come up with so far using the equipment I have. Also by doing it this way I keep my resizing die alot cleaner because I only resize clean tumbled cases. Hope this helps some!!!

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Shortcamp.

I tumble, deprime, lube resize, wipe lube off, trim, prime, powder and seat. Don't have a compressor, but that sounds like a very good idea. Just wondering it we didn't deprime until after tumbling (after resizing to remove the lube), if we'd even have to worry about the flash hole's getting media in there? Could save a step.

What's your thoughts?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
magnumb,

Don't know why you couldn't do it your way, I would think the end result would be the same. I am sending you a pm!

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I process and load in two different cycles. First I de-cap, size, and trim on a modified Dillon 1050. I take the cases and dump them in a tumbler to get the lube off. When I load, I load on a Dillon 650. The cases are alread sized and dry but the flash-holes may have media stuck in them. To avoid a problem with that, I have an old sizing die with the de-capping stem run all the way down. As I load, the first stage pokes a de-capping stem through the flash-hole. No sizing, just making sure there is no media left in the primer pocket or flash-hole.

I know not everyone loads like this but though perhaps some of the procedure may be of some help. I have loaded countless rounds this way for many years and it works well for me.

There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental illness"
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't have a progressive loader, but sounds like a real good idea.

What type of lube do you use and does it seem to all come off easily with the tumbling method? Also....do you have to change the media more often due to it containing more lube after each tumbling?

Thanks Dtech.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I use the Dillon spray-lube. I have used it for about 15 years with excellent results.

Dillon spray-lube is lanolin (sp?) based and comes of easily in the tumbler. I use very little of the lube while processing the brass, so I am able to de-grease many thousands of rounds before replacing the media.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Mike,

So you are decaping and resizing before tumbling? If so does the dirt/residue cause any problems with your resizing die?

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Dtech - thanks for responding to my questions.

I'm gonna give the tumbling after resizing a go....with a small batch initially. We'll see if it removes the One Shot to my liking enough and then go from there.

I'm thinking, because I've always decapped separately, that I'll wait to decap after that tumbling process is completed so as not to get any more media than necessary in the flash hole.

Thoughts on that?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I put my resized cases in a bowl and spray them off with gun scrubber. When you take them out of the liquid and lay them on a paper towel the stuff evaporates.

GB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DTech,

I've heard similar approaches before... instead of a spare sizing die, what about a plain decapping die like a Lee or RCBS?

Monte

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Shortcamp, I clean all my cases in a tumbler before sizing them. I dump them into another tumbler to remove the case-lube after sizing and trimming.

Milanuk, I'm sure they would work great. I just happened to have a die with a scratched neck laying around. If I wouldn't have had that, I probably would have purchased a "decapping die" just for the process.

The other reason I do it the way I do is that I use moly-coated bullets. If I were using un-coated bullets, I would leave the sizing lube on until I was done loading, then just throw the loaded rounds in the tumbler for a few minuets to take off the lube. Doing it that way would remove some of the moly coating, so I avoid that method.

Mag, the reason I decap when I do is that I have found that I can drop more accurate powder charges if I'm working with "processed brass". If I decapped in a separate process, I would wait until after tumbling as well.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Dtech...my thought too.

Good talking with you again and thanks for your words of wisdom.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,102
Posts18,522,368
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.