Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
UPS just dropped off 2 pairs of these babies and I is impressed. At 270.00 a pop they ain't cheap but they fit like a glove. I ordered 2 pairs 1 size 11 and the other a 12 to see which one fit better. The 11's get the nod. Will sell the other pair to one of my customers who is as crazy as I am about footwear. I was wondering about break in on these boots also do I need to treat them with anything. Thanks for all the help on these..............Blake

Last edited by Painless; 08/24/06.

People sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a pair of 11.5s last week and have been wearing them around the neighborhood; but I think I need an 11 (which they didn't have), so my local Cableas is ordering them in.

The boot is so rigid it's hard to tell exactly how they're fitting. I'm going to wear both around the store for an hour or so and decide.

We've got 4 elk tags and 2 mulies this fall so the Meindls are going to get a workout.

Glenn

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I bought a pair of 11.5 wide about 4 months ago. I wore them around the house. Yeah, my wife really liked the boots trapsing around on her carpet. But I insisted that's what needed to happen to make sure they fit. I did that for a couple of weeks while I ordered a pair of Lowa Sheephunters. They were on backorder until the end of last month. I didn't want to commit to the Meindl's until I tried the Lowa's. I heard the Lowas were not quite as stiff and more comfortable right out of tehbox. Bottom line. The Meindl's fit me better. So I've been wearing them whenever I get a chance... around the neighborhood, to the store, a couple of long hikes... and yes, in the house. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing them right now in the office. As you can imagine, I get a few odd looks once in a while. I figure if you are busy looking at my feet, you'll never kjnow if was me anyway. These boots ROCK. Breaking them in hasn't been as big of an ordeal as I thought it would be. I probably should have started earlier, but I can't change that now. I think because the soles are so stiff, there is less to actually break in.

The rep where I bought them told me to get them wet and then wear them until they are dry. I tried standing in the lake waiting for them to get soaked, but the gortex was doing its job. Wnat to double check before I fill the boot from the inside and start wearing them. A bit tough to do in the office, but thats my plan for the weekend.

F2T

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Are y'all ordering your regular shoe size or a size larger? If your regular shoe size, are they cut big enough for thick hunting type socks?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've had a pair since 2002 and they are great. I've used them on two mountain caribou hunts, one sheep hunt and this year's goat hunt. They are stiff enough to side hill, yet pliable enough for walking on the flat ground.

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
JDS44, I ordered mine the same size as my other hunting boots, my tennis shoe size is a 12 that is why I ordered 2 pairs so I could see which ones fit better. The 11's leave just enough room for a thick sock. I have a pair of ski socks that are pretty thick I will try that out this evening and see how it feels..........Blake

People sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
A
A
I ordered a set of these Meindls last year from cabelas and ended up sending both pairs (different sizes) back as the front part of my foot felt great, but my heel moved all over the place. Got a set of Lowa Tibets (same as the sheep hunter, but 2" shorter) and they fit and wore perfectly right out of the box. My thoughts between the two were that the Meindls did seem to have a stiffer sole and the lugs seemed to be a little stiffer too. I like the lacing system on the Lowa's a little better, but think both are good quality boots. Don't think you can go wrong with either boot...just depends on which fits your foot the best.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I ordered size 12 first and sent them back for 11.5. I ended up putting some aftermarket insoles in them. I did the bees wax coating to them as well. I recently put around 50 miles on them in 8 days. Second day I was able to dump enough water out of them to fill half my water bottle (may have leached in from my socks/pants), blisters on the backs of my heels, one toe has a black nail, some slashes in the rubber rind, minor separation starting on both soles near the toe, about a quarter inch triangle of the rubber rind starting to peel away at the seem. Considering what I put them through I think they are a great boot. Not sure if I should send them back or run them as is since I finally broke them in? My biggest worry is a sole blowing off when I don't need it to but they seem pretty secure...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I learned something with Brother Bill the other day,on a Backpack Hunt.

'Slopers don't wear two pairs of socks?!!?

What gives?........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does the two pairs of socks cure the blisters? If so I think I may start wearing two pairs of underwear now to cure another issue!!!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When I went to buy my second pair of Alaska Hunters the salesman at Cabela's wanted to show me something. He confirmed my size is 9EE. He went and got a 9 1/2EE, took out the factory insole and put in a Meindl Premium insole, size 8 1/2. He had me walk around for 30 minutes in the store wearing a thin polypro sock and a moderate wool blend sock. Absolutely the best fit and feel I every had in any boot!!!!!
Two AK. hunts and two elk hunts still result in the best boot fit I have ever had. I can't imagine a better combination.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2 pair of socks cures several issues,blistering being one.

On the twin panties,I gotta plead ignorance....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like a thin "girl" sock,beneath my "man" sock.

Red topped Fox River's,an outer stocking mainstay of mine,for many moons and 1000's of miles.

Happy feet,is easy to discern....................

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
By far the best boot I've ever had. I've had mine for three years. Two sheep hunts and a goat hunt plus a lot of hiking. I've got the Alaska Hiker and not the Hunter...slightly shorter and no insulation. I wear two pairs of socks and these are the most comfortable and tough boot. With two pairs of sock, you don't really need the insulation and I would recommend the Hiker unless you were doing a lot of stand hunting in really cold weather. Either way, you won't be dissapointed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll confuse the issue and ask have you tried the Canada? I ordered the Perfekts, Alaska, and Canada and to my foot there was no comparison, the Canada by a landslide. They required no break in time to speak of.

I'm no boot connoisseur but I believe the difference is that on the Canada the loop in the bend of the boot is low with a flexible seam in the bend allowing much more flexibility control via lace tension.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BX, I think that I might also purchase a pair of the Canada's also. I think that they have about 800 grams insulation and that might be better for stand hunting down south............Blake

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I found the Canada's to be a touch more flexible than the Alaskans. I wanted the stiffest boot without going to Koflachs.
The Canadas are an inch higher but the rock guard on the Alaskans is much higher and more protective. But they are both great boots. It comes down to a personal decision - what feels best.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Canada has only 200 grams of thinsulate. Give them a try, you won't regret it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I could have sworn that they had more insulation than that. If only 200 grams in the Canada's I'll stay with the Alaskan's. Might take a look at some Schnee pac boots for my trip to Montana......Blake

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
JDS44,
I typically wear an 11 or 11.5 street shoe and I bought the 11.5EEs. Seems to fit good. I can wear a pair of medium cushion smartwools on without an issue. If I go with a liner I switch to a light cushion. I have more of an issue with having awide foot. The key is to make sure when you try them on that the width fits and you can get two fingers behind your heep and not crowd your toes in the tip of the boot. Send me a PM is you want more info.

F2T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,157
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.