Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J

I wanted to post a warning to members on a problem I'm having with a USA based custom rifle builder, Carolina Precision Rifles. I've had the build two rifles in the past a Ruger #1 in 35 Whelen and a little Remington model 7 in 300 RSAUM. Both where done really well.

I've been told that the founder John Lewis has cancer. Someone who claims to be his brother "Brian Lewis" is operating the shop and at best the place has fallen apart. I actually think it might be full scale fraud and the company maybe defunct and has been hacked.

I shipped two rifles to them (9.3x62 and 375 Win) and paid for custom builds for them. They offer a 10% discount if you pay in advance and I foolishly did so to the tune of $4,200. The have missed shipment dates and the promised revise delivery dates. They also promised to send me a personal loaner Ruger #1 in 7mm ultra mag for long range hunt I have planned. The rifle never showed.

It seems like classic internet fraud. Just keep making promises and push the confrontation down the road hoping to lure in more victims.

I have gone to the police and will file a stolen priority report with them and the ATF but it looks like my rifles are long gone as well as my $4,200. I feel really stupid for falling for this but I had such good interactions with John Lewis that I let my guard down.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO, if a man has a life threatening disease, it could affect his business just a bit and be expected.

Hate to hear it, but this would not bother me as much as all out actual fraud.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can be there in 2 hours.
Want them picked up?
Pm me. https://m.facebook.com/CarolinaPrecisionRifles?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

They are active.

Last edited by ringworm; 04/19/15.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
John has built several rifles for me. He's first class and puts out a great product. Sorry you feel the need to run my friend down at this time.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John built a 300 WM for me and it shoots lights out. I hope he recovers quickly.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Had nothing but good experiences from Carolina Precision Rifles.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
The O.P. has a point, though. If the proprietor is very sick, then someone should have returned the O.P.'s rifles. But his having paid in advance, puts them between a rock and a hard place. Now, they probably will need to do the jobs, for which they already have been paid. Prayers here, for that proprietor's recovery.

What hasn't been said, is whether the O.P. was pressured to pay in advance. Accidents and sicknesses are the bane for many smaller shops in every field, IMO. Its called "continuity" in business, for a reason. That shop owner has one job now. That's to fight the disease and recover from it. If everything else falls into disarray, for a time, then so be it. So for the present, he is "disabled".

Shipping out a "loaner" rifle, seems to be a honorable gesture, in the short term. I'm sure that the O.P. paid in advance with the best of intentions. But with that amount of coin on the table, I'd say that he "commissioned" this G.S. to undertake a project. These things can and will, occasionally, "Go South".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will say that CPR was a little slower than I expected, but the work was well worth the extra time. Part of the delay wasn't even CPR's fault as part of the job entailed sending the rifle to be Black-T coated and they are overwhelmed with their work load for good reasons as I feel they do the best job of coating in the business.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
I can be there in 2 hours.
Want them picked up?
Pm me. https://m.facebook.com/CarolinaPrecisionRifles?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

They are active.

No to my offer?
OK, handle it yourself.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Accidents and sicknesses are the bane for many smaller shops in every field, IMO. Its called "continuity" in business, for a reason."

Prayers for the gentleman with cancer. I have had it and know its not an easy fight.

Have seen this issue with prepayments not being returned for a long time. I think the only good answer would be for all small business owners to follow the same procedures that I am required to follow. That is, you must have a trust account at your bank. You must place all UNEARNED money in that trust account, and you may not take any money out of that trust account until it has been earned. And it must be refunded to the customer if the customer asks for it and it has not been earned. Also, it must stay in the trust account if there is a controversy as to whether it has been earned or not. It must stay there until it has been determined whether or not it has been earned.

These procedures would place more confidence in the public when dealing with the professional gun trade. They would also help the Professional Gun trade, and really all small business people, by having a set procedure for unearned funds.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22WRF

Prayers for the gentleman with cancer. I have had it and know its not an easy fight.

As have I back in 1983. I was very lucky that mine was caught early. With that said, and the OP knowing this man may very well be fighting for his very life, I find this to be one of the most distasteful threads I've ever read on the Campfire. Would I be pissed off and upset about my money ? Of course. But to air this on the Campfire with full knowledge of what John is facing is disgusting at best.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have 5 CPR rifles and members of my club probably have 20+. John does good work but is a sorry businessman. About 10 years ago John went through a really messy divorce and has simply never recovered from it.

Good luck with your recovery.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RD

I agree. All of these "airing outs" in public are distasteful, but to a greater or lesser degree depending on the motive.

If an OP's motive is strictly to attempt to protect his brothers and sisters its palpable. If the motive is to do otherwise, its probably best to handle it personally.

But the one thing that would help everyone is to avoid starting one of these until one has all of the facts. Here, it appears that the OP did not know that the business owner was dealing with cancer. If he would have known he may not have taken the course he did. Nevertheless, he definitely is entitled to have his guns and his money returned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jcberiau

I've been told that the founder John Lewis has cancer.

In all honesty, do you think that this thread will help resolve his issues ? I agree that notifying people of bad business is good business for us. However, it appears from the quote that the OP was told John has cancer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you, but I'd also like to think that if you can run a raffle for a rifle you can likely get things out to paid customers. But what do I know.

https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaPrecisionRifles?fref=nf

Carolina Precision Rifles
April 14 at 6:57am ·

Tickets are available for the custom rifle giveaway $5 each. Remington 700 on a HS Precision stock, Super match stainless barrel, Calvin Elite Timney trigger. Your choice of .308,.30-06,7Rem mag, or .300 Rem mag. Call us for your ticket or come by United Loan and firearm on Broad st., Shooters on Washington Rd. or our shop. 803-648-3000

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn

In all honesty, do you think that this thread will help resolve his issues ? I agree that notifying people of bad business is good business for us. However, it appears from the quote that the OP was told John has cancer.

I apologize. I misread. And no, this thread will not get his money or his guns back. A very bad situation for both parties, and in the end I hope that both parties are healed and made whole.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No need to apologize sir. I miss stuff all the time when reading threads here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDFinn

may not resolve his issues, but it sure can keep someone else from experiencing the same issues with this company. I used this company to stock my 222 Rem Magnum a few years back. By the way if a man had two of my rifles and 4200 dollars of my money , i wouldn't care what he was dying of , i would want my property and cash back.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So would I. I would go to small claims court, file a police report and that would get the ball rolling much faster than penning a thread on the Campfire.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
2 rifles and $4200 would demand a road trip.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,900
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.