Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kusko Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here's the story.

We flew in to our lake on Wed and had beautiful weather. There must have been 20 goats in the bowl we were in and we were pumped. We each had a tag and were hoping to score on a couple of nice billies. The next morning we spy 2 billies high on the mountain and go after them. An hour of climbing, crawling, and slipping, we were at a point to split up and shoot each of our animals. Tomas won the coin toss so I was to wait for him to shoot before I could shoot. I crawled up one more finger and took my pack off for the final 200 yards. After marking my GPS, I took one more look and noticed some white over the next rim of mountain. I looked through the binos and saw it was a goat and it was within rifle range.

Dropping down to rest off my pack, I jacked a shell in and waited for Tomas's shot. I waited and waited and waited and waited. Finally, my patience was up and I slid the safety off on the Tikka. Resting the crosshairs on the shoulder of the billy I breathed out and started to squeeze..... My conscious got the best of me, must be the Catholic thing, but I put the safety back on and waited for Tomas's shot. A minute later, a shot rang out, and my goat flinched! I swore and started to shoot at the Billy as it ran up the mountain. Wounded, the goat laid down. I looked through my scope and couldn't see blood coming from it mouth. Worried that the Billy might escape into the sheer rock face that rose 20 yards behind it, I shot again and Tomas yelled that I got him and he was rolling. Looking through the scope, the goat was rolling with it legs going through the air! It took us a minute to find it, but when Tomas picked up his head, I saw it was a dandy (fish and game taped it at 10 inches). Upon inspection, the goat had been hit tree times. There was a bullet through the liver, through the lower front leg and one behind the shoulders. I was pretty surprised to see or hear Tomas shoot the goat I was after, but it was confirmed that he had not seen his goat. He saw this goat and thought it was the one he was going to shoot. The fog was getting pretty thick when he squeezed off his first shot and hit it in the liver.

Immediately, the fog rolled in and remained that way for the next 3 days. We got the goat off the mountain and spent the next day fleshing it. The following day we tried to get to the salt water. We spent THE WHOLE DAY trying to get down and could not find a way. We would walk a 1/3 of a mile and run into a 20 foot cliff. We repeated this all day long. Giving up, we made our way back to camp and called our pilot. We asked him to come and pick us up on the lake. He agreed, but the weather would have to be perfect. We woke up the next day to clear and sunny. I called the pilot and he said he'd be there in 45 minutes. We never saw the mountains until the day we left and all of the goats were gone.

This was an awesome, but eyeopening hunt. I was warned about the thick vegetation that borders the saltwater, but nothing can prepare you until you experience it. I hope to go again and get a goat of my own.

The picture is of me holding the goat that we shot.

[Linked Image]

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet, what area were you hunting?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW, thats a huge goat Kusko, congrats to you and your partner!!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Kusko Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Brown Mountain was the area we drew. It's too bad the fog rolled in. The goat my partner was stalking was even bigger.

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Kusco
You're a better man than me.
The ONLY person I would let shoot first was my fiancee..........We're married now!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Way to go guy's! congrats

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No doubt...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Real nice goat! Congratulations to all.
T

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
P.S. Guess you couldn't find one with an even rub.....or whatever it was (in the bear post). :-)
T

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
KUSKO:

Nice billy! I really like those thick bases. He's a keeper for sure.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see 50 inches......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very cool, nice goat indeed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,573
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.