Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Looking at a set with the the 20 minute inserts for my 308.

Upsides and downsides?

Looks like a simple, robust solution to mounting a scope to a "tactical" rifle.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A superlative way to correct receiver issues(be it windage or ele),or to pad capability of a glass with modest initial ele ability(Burris comes immediately to mind).

You can stab 40MOA into a system,by going .020" fore and aft,or correct some windage,to yield a mechanical center within a glass to grant optimal erector travel.

I can like the system much,but assuming a concentric receiver,I prefer the LW's...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
thanks for that.

I'll give it a go

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep in mind that you can locate the eccentric offset,at any location within the ring.

So you can reap a comb of both windage and ele correction,at the same time.

Slicker than hell and I'd love to see it offered within every ring type,LW's included........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
understood

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just musing aloud,weren't an attempt to slight your savvying the premise...................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An added bonus ; They don't mar the scope tubes, in fact, you can't tell the scope has ever been mounted. A nice feature when switching scopes around on rifles...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is never a bad thing.

My PosiLign bitch is the teeny fasteners and narrow ring cap surface area.

The LW's in comparison,do much more for me in the warm/fuzzy department.................

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have one of the old original Vari-X II's that had minimal ele. adjustment. It was beat and the adjustments no longer worked when I got it. Sent it off to Leupold. Immediately repaired as per usual, but still not enough ele. once it was workin' emailed leupold about options. They strongly recommended the burris posilign. Went that route and no problems since. They work great. As stick said, I prefer the lightweights, but when it's called for the posiligns are great.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
stick,

no offense taken.. thanks for the insight

IC B3

B
B
Optical performance is best in all aspects (abberation, distortion, and light transmission) when the optics are centered. Using the pos-align inserts to keep the optics as close to center as possible improves the performance of the scope, regardless of whether other problems (like limitations in internal adjustments, misaligned bases, etc.) exist.

For example, even a "light magnum" Hornady 270 win load with 130 gr bullets has about 7.8" of drop at 200 yds (from boresight) Add in the mounting height of the scope, and you're looking at about 9.3 inches. That translates to about 5.8 thousandths offset if the rings are 4.5" apart. And that's on top of any adjustments for mounting misalignment to the bore.

You can also use a pair of equal-offset inserts front and back to "dial in" any offset, from zero up to twice the individual offset of the inserts used (i.e. a pair of .020" inserts will give you any amount from 0 to .040").

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Recenty Burris changed the design of the signature rings by using two screws per side versus one. I have the old style on two rifles and I think that they are great. With two screws per side the new style should be even better. The 30mm rings also come with the 0 and the .020 offset inserts. If you are using the 1 inch rings you will have to buy the offset inserts seperately.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Just got a pair with .025 offset (0.020 fore, 0.005 aft), can't wait to shoot it!

Thanks, guys!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you'll be very pleased. I'm a HUGE fan of the Burris rings w/inserts. Last year I was able to sight in a vx-III 3.5x10 on my abolt 270 without even touching the adjustments on the scope. Granted, it took a bit of time to get the proper match of inserts and to rotate them properly to adjust for windage, but it was dead nuts on @ 200 yards, which is what I wanted.

As others have mentioned, an added bonus of these rings is that they leave no marks on the scope, and I have yet to have a pair slip once I cranked them down.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Exactly....the teeny fasteners and narrow rings make me a bit worried as they needed to be installed on my 300RUM holding down a Conquest.

They did as advertised, won't mar my scope, rifle shoots lights out with about 70 rounds through it with the Burris's onboard, but.........still have that little bit of concern that they could bust loose at any shot. Powerful recoiler, seemingly not so skookum hardware....but the only way I had to turn.

Maybe alot of worry for no reason. New product for me so that's where the hesitation comes in. It was a "have to" situation whereas before I've only used L's DD and T's Steels.

B
B
Recenty Burris changed the design of the signature rings by using two screws per side versus one. I have the old style on two rifles and I think that they are great. With two screws per side the new style should be even better. The 30mm rings also come with the 0 and the .020 offset inserts. If you are using the 1 inch rings you will have to buy the offset inserts seperately.

Did they double up the screws on 1" rings, or just 30mm rings?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe it is only the 30mm rings that have been upgraded to the two screws per side.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (808outdoors, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 907brass, 14 invisible), 15,080 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,909
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.