Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
I think if you ask enough people you can find examples of almost any bullet failing.

Probably the most fair statement out there...

FWIW as a taxidermist, and folks running common ammo, the MOST core/jacket seperations I saw and this mostly on whitetails, was corelokt.

Of course I can't recall one failing on a deer for me. But moving forward to the boy scout theory many years ago, I mostly went to good bullets for hunts where I didn't want to have to pass up a shot.

I consider amax the same, I don't see one ever giving up on the skin/hide of a lung shot, but I'd treat em like bergers et al, lets go in soft and out hard if hard is involved at all...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 16bore
Who wants to bet that there are fewer lost animals with Amax than any other bullet?

? confused

16 how can we possibly know that with any degree of certainty? With any bullet?

Any "proof' would be so full of holes it would sink the Queen Mary. wink

I think if you ask enough people you can find examples of almost any bullet failing.

Kinda sorta what I was thinking. Then there's the fact that there might be only a coupla loads with Amax off the shelf, and not at WalMart.

But since this is the first thread ever about hunting with A-Max, the world may never know. wink

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I had never seen a 180 grain Corelokt blow up on the skin- maybe if there was mud there.

Well I have. it happens, there was no mud either

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, and I've NEVER lost an animal with A-Max. Ever.

'Course I poke Barnes in groceries....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Either have and I shot a lot

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not to change the subject, but speaking of target bullets and big game, has anyone gotten much experience with the .284 150 grain Scenar? Seems to have ".280" written all over it.

And 7/08 for sure.....

I've got a little stash of them set aside to work up a load for in the lil ladies Kimber 7/08. If they perform anything like the 123s/139s, that combo won't suck...

Laker... Kurt (30338) has knocked over a fair number of critters with the 180s. I ran a load work up with them in my 7 WSM. Much like my other experiences with Scenars, they were super easy to tune.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I've never seen a bullet "fail". My guess is 95% of those claiming their bullet "failed" was actually due to poor shot placement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Naw man, its always the rifle. Just look at the used gun racks after huntin season. None of them guns shoot....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I've had 1 deer take Step.
He covered about 30-40 yards. Double lung.
But, a deer ain't an elk.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would agree with the 95% figure but it also depends on how you define "fail." Some would say if you recover the animal the bullet by definition didn't fail. But, if you shoot multiple times and recover a bullet that blew up before making it to the vitals, that would count.

I know a guy who shot a nice bull with a 168 TTSX at 60 yards. He showed me the recovered bullet because I loaded the ammo. for him. It centered the heart. Good thing it did, because it looked like you could stick a new plastic tip on and load it again.

By definition, it didn't fail, but it sure did make me second guess using that bullet at those velocities. 308 Win. in this case but a .300 Weatherby at 350 yards is the same thing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ringworm
But, a deer ain't an elk.

That first one has computer paper wrapped around his horn, did you kill him at the office?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you use the A-Max within a limited velocity window it seems to work well most of the time. As it's a very lightly constructed bullet with an amplified expander button, basic logic should dictate what will work and what may turn into a disaster.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When the manufacturer tells you it has lousy penetration and to not use it for hunting, doesn't that say something? There are equally accurate bullets all over the place. Why not use something that will penetrate all the time, not just when you get a perfect hit?

This seems like one of those topics on which people don't change their minds.a

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I remember that the AMax was listed as a frangible game bullet on Hornady's site before the SST came along.

Clearly the OP and many others here have proven the pre-SST stance correct. If you or I don't want to use a target bullet we still can't dispute photographic proof that it'll work.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeah, be was vandalizing the copier.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone ever caught one?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
From Hornady's web site.

A-MAX®
Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...

Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
These bullets are not recommended for hunting.

'nough said.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'nough said? wink

Disregard my last... Perfect mushroom!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
whatever you do, don't try one of those target bullets on an elk.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Several have mentioned using 708s and 308s with them. These chamberings rarely tear bullets up. Start pushing them at magnum speeds and the target bullets are iffy. Using a heavy for caliber target bullet will buy you a lot of leeway. Using a lighter one at high velocity makes for spectacular kills and disastrous wounds if things don't go right.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Several have mentioned using 708s and 308s with them. These chamberings rarely tear bullets up. Start pushing them at magnum speeds and the target bullets are iffy. Using a heavy for caliber target bullet will buy you a lot of leeway. Using a lighter one at high velocity makes for spectacular kills and disastrous wounds if things don't go right.

I use the 30 caliber 178gr A-Max out of my 300 Wby match, fps with this load (85.5gr H4831) is 3341FPS and it killed a lot of deer and pigs too. I would use it on elk to if giving a chance.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by passport
Anyone ever caught one?

Complete?
Never. Jackets...yes.
In fact I have shot deer at double digit yardage (low ...like sub 30) and never had a particle exit the neck.
At longer ranges...READ LOWER. VELOCITIES, I've had them fully penetrate double lung and leave 10cm exits.
I don't give a chit what they do at +2600 ...I don't push them that fast.
And when they group like this... [Linked Image]

and your cold bore shot is this predictable...
[Linked Image]

...then you have a level of confidence that allows you to take shots that avoid large bones.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.