Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Gentlemen,
<br> I am about to purchase a new rifle in 300 win mag. I had really had my heart set on Ruger 1, even in light of the consistency problems they often have. Then I got a look at a picture of a M70 supergrade - the picture is beautiful. Any suggestions/experience with the supergrade? Has anyone seen one up close - is it as pretty as the picture? What do you think - ruger or win? Any response would be helpful.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As I understand it, a with a No.1 that won't shoot, there isn't much you can do with it. Whereas with the 70, you can. To me that would be the decideing factor. I might be wrong here, just my opinion of the ones that I have seen

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
As long as you have wanted a Ruger 1 and I do not think you will be happy until you get one. You also know that some of them will shoot O.K.. I think you will be wasting you time with the Winchester.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Supergrade in 270 and it is one rifle I will never part with. The wood on mine is unbelievable and it shoots about as good as it looks.
<br>
<br>the only problem with it is that I almost hesitate to hunt with it because I'm afraid to mess it up, but it's such a shame to leave a gun like that in the safe.
<br>
<br>You will not be disappointed in the supergrade.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Super Grades are beautiful. I used to have one, and now they are even nicer. Only Ruger Number One I ever saw had a really bad trigger. Not just heavy, which is easily fixed, but creepy.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 8 years ago I was in the situation of having to decide which of two rifles to keep, a 1991 production super grade or a #1S, both in 300 Winchester. I had bedded both, and each shot similar sized groups. Only because I hunt in grizzly country, and liked the idea of extra shots, I ended up keeping the M70. Of the two, I liked the Ruger better, and I'm a M70 nut. The Ruger had a fondle factor the 70 couldn't touch, and had better balance as well. Because of the weight distribution, the #1 felt lighter despite having similar weights.
<br>
<br>Of course, I ended up selling the super grade as well within a couple years just because it was too pretty to hunt with in the wet weather I hunt in BC, and replaced it with a classic stainless in 300Wby. If I had known, I would have kept the #1S and bought the stainless too! One to admire, one to use as a canoe paddle and not care. In your situation, I'd buy the #1 unless big nasty bears are an issue.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
As well as CAS, I have a SG in 264 wm. The wood is
<br>near exhibition grade! It shoots a .635 group with a
<br>hot loaded 140 NP. This with only a trigger job.
<br>I use mine for hunting. But, I have the gun covered in
<br>"Bear Tooth Products" that protect it. It will be in mountians with me this weekend in NE Wa.
<br>
<br>No comparison in my book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Primetime,
<br>
<br>Its seems as if you have a delima. Your first love was the #1. The Winnie is new in your life and this phase could pass. Bottom line, you will never regret the #1. If you get the Winnie, you will still lust after the #1.
<br>
<br>As for me, I would only choose the #1 for the warm fuzzy feeling that LOOKING at it gives me. If you are the type of shooter who demands accuracy as I do, the #1 could be very frustrating (but so are women and most of us marry one). Flip a coin and that is the chance you have of getting one with acceptable accuracy. But you probably allready know that.
<br>
<br>For a token rifle it would be awesome. For tack driving, long range shots, its a coin toss. It all depends on what you want to spend the $'s on.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a big #1 fan, so consider my bias. The quicker second shot is a definite plus for the bolt gun. But then I have never needed a second shot with my #1Bs; partly because my rifles shoot accurately and the single shot imposes a lot of trigger disciplne.
<br>
<br>The fact is that the #1s can be made to shoot very reliably in sub MOA groups even if they are "bad out of the box". The triggers can be made to work smoothly. (All of mine now break crisply at about 3 lbs.)
<br>
<br>Let a pro do the work -- like Broad Creek Rifle Works (BCRW4guns.com). Costs about $300.
<br>
<br>Added to the new rifle cost of @$600, you probably are close to cost of the Model 70 SG. after you add rings, trigger adjustment, and very likely a bedding job for it.
<br>
<br>I would lean toward the #1 but would probably buy a model 70 if a quick second shot was a high priority.
<br>
<br>Good luck. It's a nice dilemna. 1b

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
for what it's worth, i was able to achieve a 4-shot 'clover-leaf' at 50-yards using the fixed iron sights on my ruger no. 1 in .458 wm.
<br>
<br>te

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You guys are just kidding right. Manufacturers really don't still make rifles with wooden stocks do they? [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2nd,
<br>
<br>Yes they do!! Darn pretty things too!!
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My friend has a SG Model 70 in .300 Win. Mag. Best lookin' factory rifle I've ever seen. He took a huge spring blackie with it out on PWS somewhere.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,283
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.